Clay shooting with a semi auto

Wriggler

I've noticed over the last couple of years more people shooting at the clay grounds with semi autos, is this now accepted?

I was always led to believe that you really needed either an o/u or sxs for clays.

I've just started clay shooting with a semi and I'm just as bad as I ever was :D

Edited by Wriggler

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They seem very common for clays, I've seen a few posts on here saying they are frowned on at some grounds, I've never been to anywhere like that. Everywhere I've been to isn't bothered what you shoot - I actually shoot a pump, they tend to be 'frowned on' the most but nobody has ever cared.

I use a semi, with the less recoil you can get the second bird alot faster, although I do take the sxs up for the odd bash to miss most of them and the o/u to the more country put on shoots.

The ground I go to, the majority use semi's. I see a lot of hatsans, along with myself use them and never see anyone jammed up or gear of complains about then. I see a Maxus being stripped last time I was there tho

The Mrs and myself both use a semi-auto for clays, never been a problem for us anywhere yet. On the subject of spent carts, to be fair, I've never gone into a stand yet where there wasn't carts on the deck and I've seen many O/U shooters who just eject right behind them without any pick up, which in my book is far worse than any semi auto user who at least has some modicum of an excuse.

The Mrs and myself both use a semi-auto for clays, never been a problem for us anywhere yet. On the subject of spent carts, to be fair, I've never gone into a stand yet where there wasn't carts on the deck and I've seen many O/U shooters who just eject right behind them without any pick up, which in my book is far worse than any semi auto user who at least has some modicum of an excuse.

Oh for Christ's sake, give it a ******* rest :no:

Azzurri loves his semi auto for skeet shooting :lol::lol:

I hope you've made a Will ;):lol: :lol:

I recently bought a semi,I love the idea of them,no recoil and faster onto the second target etc but they can be difficult to set up,well mine is anyway,I just can't seem get on with the stepped rib thing.

The adjustable comb,length of pull and pitch of the stock are set the same as my regular O/U but at the weekend I managed to shoot 20 targets less than I normally do at skeet....I literally had no idea where the gun was shooting :hmm::blush:

There's not too much difference in weight between my MK38 and the old 390 Beretta i've got but it certainly felt different and has me stumped :oops:

I'm not planning on shooting the semi regularly on clays but any advice on set up would be appreciated :good:

Azzurri

I hope you've made a Will ;):lol: :lol:

I recently bought a semi,I love the idea of them,no recoil and faster onto the second target etc but they can be difficult to set up,well mine is anyway,I just can't seem get on with the stepped rib thing.

The adjustable comb,length of pull and pitch of the stock are set the same as my regular O/U but at the weekend I managed to shoot 20 targets less than I normally do at skeet....I literally had no idea where the gun was shooting :hmm::blush:

There's not too much difference in weight between my MK38 and the old 390 Beretta i've got but it certainly felt different and has me stumped :oops:

I'm not planning on shooting the semi regularly on clays but any advice on set up would be appreciated :good:

Azzurri

You were almost certainly somewhere around them :hmm::yes:

I had a very nice 390 Gold mallard - couldn't hit sweet FA -- put it on pattern plate and it was off the top - The early Beretta 390-391's for me shot high - I put a 3mm thick short rib on top of rib on my 391 and it shot so much better but by then I had got my Win SX1's so 391 went. - Got A300 now and it shoot's more to my liking - ie- flat.

Dave

Azzurri

1) make sure it fits

2) go and see a good coach

3) point it in the right place

4) learn reverse lead

5) don't shoot ******* skeet

Two clubs (sporting layout) I use are close to banning them as people just don't bother to pick up.

Valid point - I help to clear up at a couple of shoots I attend (it's only right) and the ones in the nettles are always from S/As as it's too far for a regular ejector to throw them and they're always to the right...

Great fun guns to shoot (I have one myself) but please remember that someone has to pick your cases up. :sly:

O/U or SxSs normally choose to catch their spent cases from the barrel and bin them directly but some S/A shooters get an undeserved bad name for leaving plastic for some other poor soul to pick up at the end of the day ;)

Edited by Chazzmeister