Air gun license

Licensed or not?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should air guns be licensed?

• Yes
    • No

I voted no. They are probably the best tools to introduce new people to the sport of shooting, and the paperwork would put additional strain on the police; thus resulting in poor turnaround times. We have to licence them over here, but our wee country has a lot less chimney pots than across the water.

a register could work but licence NO we have enough **** with sgc/fac to mess about with air as well plus it will just push them underground if people think there going to lose them .

Plus who wood run it COPS nar don't think so there stressed enough with normal guns group 4 may be ?

I don't like air-guns, they have their uses but also major limitations, and I make no secret of my thoughts on them.

But even I can see that to licence them would be plain stupid, as the people that do stupid things with them (such as shoot people, threaten people, shoot cats etc) are breaking the law by doing these things, so it's fair to assume that requiring a licence to hold an air-gun will not hinder them in any way, they'll ignore it.

For many it's an entry into shooting, almost anybody can pick up an air-gun for a small amount of money and have a go at it, if they need a license for it then many will never get to try it unless they're determined.

The less people who shoot, the more we will all suffer.

As to the thoughts of a register, that's all very well but I can promise it wouldn't remain like that. Once they get that far, it will end up as requiring a proper certificate like a SGC or perhaps even a FAC, there can be no doubt about that.

The simple solution though for anyone thinking it might be a good idea is to wait and see if Scotland bring in licencing for air-guns, as I expect they will. See how they cope with all the air-guns in attics, all the paperwork etc and then see what good it does. Then we should make our decision.

I would think that every youngsters introduction to shooting was via an airgun.

For a licensing system to work it would need to run alongside current firearms licensing. Therefore with the police looking for full cost recovery on licensing costs, estimated at around £200.00, I see no reason why airgun licenses would not be the same.

How to put an end to our sport in one easy step, charge 9 year olds £200 for an airgun license.

We should be encouraging them not puting them of with the likes of licenses and such things.

As every commercial seller now needs to be an RFD to sell them I don't see the issue with a "purchase register" i.e. you need ID to buy and name address etc is logged at point of sale with a declaration of not being a prohibited person. However, how do you deal with the thousands or millions in private hands and private transactions? Airguns aren't the issue it's the misuse of them. Perhaps a better idea is to deal with the idiots who will just move on to misuse other everyday items?

A more logical solution would be to make a better distinction between "toys" and fire arms, air soft, paint ball etc are all covered by VCR act? That is poor legislation.

Personally i think a tiered system of licencing would work better similar to the DVLA you can have extra endorsements allowing you to hold Shotguns, rifles, pistols (CF and rimfire)Like you do for Car/motorcycle/HGV etc (no i dont mean testing) remove all this variation rubbish allow an RFD to take your .243 in part ex and sell you a .223 etc if doing private sale then send off for update.

I'd like to see a basic license system that could be submitted online or at the post office for example. You buy a gun, you need to enter it on the system and the seller needs to record the sale there too. Just a simple name, address and serial number that could be searched in any one of those areas by the police. It needn't cost a lot to set up.

When something happened in an area there would be a record of local holders to be worked through. Give the system plenty of media coverage and anyone with an air rifle or pistol not on the system after the introduction period could be given a heavy fine and have the gun confiscated. If a crime was commited then it could be even more serious if you didn't have the records to match the gun.

It wouldn't remove the whole problem but it would be little to no bother for gun owners. A basic record system online isn't the most expensive thing to set up in comparison to the money wasted every year on other things and it would slowly eat away at the number of guns on the streets that aren't registered.

Edit... I didn't vote because of course this system, along with the systems already in place, wouldn't work if the punishments aren't handed out. Ie we have laws now that aren't used to their potential so what's the point in creating more?!

Edited by njc110381

Things were so much better when i was a kid a licence for airguns my vote is no im only 39 and it amazes me how things have changed in this country over the past 25 years can't do this can't say that and lets ban everything

Now i would vote yes to a licence for having kids maybe an interview first so we could weed out the low lifes and scum who are the problem

No and always no.

why do people want to give the government more control over our lives.

It takes ages now to process FAC's and SGC's, it would be a nightmare to organise.

I just find these poll's annoying .

A register wouldn't hurt, just to say where the gun is, but then it's all sorts of rubbish to buy and sell second hand which would involve more paperwork for the old bill to get delayed with. In one sense it's good in the other no, so I'm not voting

And they can't charge kids to have licenses as they can't actually own an air gun. It will be the parents and allowed under supervision or land owners consent so won't affect them.

No, and especially no to pointless registration.

I can't see how plod knowing, for example, that 3000 people possess a .22 air rifle in say Birmingham would identify the culprit who for example shot aunty Molly's ginger cat last Thursday night.

i reluctantly voted yes. the continual incidents of morons mis-using air rifles will eventually end up with some form of draconian measure to stop it. its better for anyone with a genuine interest and a fully functioning brain to be able to get one if they want to (albeit with some form of licence/register) - the pay off should be lifting the daft 12ftlb limit, with no requirement for land ( a bit like the sgc).

in order to fill the potential gap of air guns no longer being an easy entry to the sport - basc etc should start lots of high visibility local schemes, using keen volunteers to make it easier for anyone interested to become involved, i for one would be prepared to help out with something like this - i'm sure most members on here would too.

the point about how many there are in circulation is probably the same argument used when shotguns started requiring licences :hmm:

the point about how many there are in circulation is probably the same argument used when shotguns started requiring licences :hmm:

True but, im sure there were a lot less shotguns around back then, than there are airguns today. Even to this day nobody really knows what percentage of the shotguns out there actually got registered. Im sure there are still thousands of forgotten (and deliberately hidden) old shotguns tucked away in peoples lofts, sheds and barns.

I am opposed to an airgun registration/licencing scheme, mainly because it would be a complete waste of time and money and wont have any impact whatsoever on violent crime. Those with criminal intentions would obviously not register their guns and apply for licences, so once again only the law abiding would be inconvenienced. Imo, firearms laws in this country need to be majorly liberalised, not tightened even further. We have long passed the balancing point in which gun control laws actually have any affect on crime, the constant tightening of the laws is utterly pointless and serves no usefull purpose whatsoever. Its nothing but feel good, "look we are doing something" trash.

Sorry to go off on a rant, im sure im preaching to the choir here anyway.

As you already need a FAC here it has never really being an issue. I personally don't have a problem with air rifles requiring an FAC. The thought of some of the W****** over here being able to access a air rifle without any checks would concern me. PS I know that people can get firearms illegally before people go down that road. We are talking about legal firearms.

What a great idea!!!! Licence them and then when that's not complied with hold an amnesty and then ban them. When this is done why don't we ban all sharp pointy things as well. We could start with folks and knives. After that we could move on...... Maybe cricket bats and hockey pucks. Who knows what someone might get up to with that. In between we could deal with all sgc and fac's too. After all if u have to licence air guns then these are unnecessary and far too dangerous. just like hand guns. Start small aim big.

Do we need these polls? How about stricter car licences? Or bike licences? Can't remember the last fatal car crash I went to but there's been a few bikes that werent very lucky... I dare say a few were speeding too. Let's deal with that while we are at it eh? But then I don't even need to tell u I have one do I... But an airgun would.

Moving on we could do kitchen knives followed by bows and arrows nd catapults. All nasty bits of kit. Ban lead too as it might hurt you. In a few years we could all meet up in our cotton wool suits on our rubber pavements.

Sorry for the rant but I can't remember, oh that's right its never happened yet at least in the last decade, of having to deal with a legally held firearm including an airgun in my professional capacity.

Can't print the rest

Gc