Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

gazzthompson

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lady turned the country around fanatically and gave Great Britain it " Great" back. Shame she got to see how things got undone. One of our best ever leaders, there will be little to say about the current crop of the last decade or so

The Lady turned the country around fanatically and gave Great Britain it " Great" back. Shame she got to see how things got undone. One of our best ever leaders, there will be little to say about the current crop of the last decade or so

Well said that man , i remember it well

I actually think she got it right and unlike many in politics she had a spine and also she did a bloomin good job with the faulklands and embassy seige, it sent out out a clear message to other contrys not to tangle with us !

Others will dissagree and hate her but i wish she was in charge now !

I did quite well in the Thatcher years to be honest and dont have an axe to grind but know lots who didnt and do. There will be some celebrations around the mining communities of South yorkshire. I hear there are some landlords who have kept bottles behind the bar for just this occassion. Doesnt sound very nice, but feelings about her in these parts run very strong for some.

Its only Northerners hate her, to everyone else she had the balls to kick the country into shape. It is the passing of a pretty great leader

Dont tar us all with the same brush

She did a great job running the country, turned us around after Labours previous debarcle

I did quite well in the Thatcher years to be honest and dont have an axe to grind but know lots who didnt and do. There will be some celebrations around the mining communities of South yorkshire. I hear there are some landlords who have kept bottles behind the bar for just this occassion. Doesnt sound very nice, but feelings about her in these parts run very strong for some.

Will they celebrate when Scargill dies?

the real villain in the mines closure

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

Some people loved her some people hated her, but whatever side you fall on you cannot deny that she was a charecter of politics, something we don't see a lot of these days!

I also feel that her family and friends does deserve the human decency of condolences and respect. They should go beyond politics.

Cheers

Aled

Its only Northerners hate her, to everyone else she had the balls to kick the country into shape. It is the passing of a pretty great leader

Don't underestimate the North, some of us actually remember the 70's and that which she inherited. BTW my Dad and all his male family before him worked in the pit, it was she who gave my generation a chance and planted the seeds of many of todays business successes. I wasn't old enough to vote the first time she got in but I am glad she did because she gave me a chance the other mob would never have given me

Some people loved her some people hated her, but whatever side you fall on you cannot deny that she was a charecter of politics, something we don't see a lot of these days!

I also feel that her family and friends does deserve the human decency of condolences and respect. They should go beyond politics.

Cheers

Aled

Very much agreed.

I was in the local Sainsbury’s at lunch time there were two older women talking about Thatcher’s death and how She was responsible for them buying their Council Hoose that got them into debt because they had to pay for their own repairs.

I pointed out to them they chose to buy the house and it was not Thatcher who forced them to do it.

I was in the local Sainsbury’s at lunch time there were two older women talking about Thatcher’s death and how She was responsible for them buying their Council Hoose that got them into debt because they had to pay for their own repairs.

I pointed out to them they chose to buy the house and it was not Thatcher who forced them to do it.

Yes, and now they are home owners. I dont' suppose they took the equity in their homes into account.

When Maggie was the PM, I thought she was a head case, drunk on power. With the passage of time, I think I was too blinkered to appreciate her.

A strong leader, who was better than the sum of Cameron, Brown, Blair, Clegg and the rest. She wasn't some smarmy, image conscious, weaker than water, self seeker that we are plagued with at present.

Thatcher was a little bit before my time but I remember her sending the forces to the Falklands and standing up for Great Britain...on the flip side to this I remember my dad being away for weeks and weeks at the miners strike..( he was a mounted officer) I don't really know about the politics of all that but my old man told me she was a great leader and she saved the marines as they could of been disbanded before the Falklands war..my dad spent 9 years in the marines before the police...as said by others she was someone's mother, wife...I say RIP thatcher THE IRON LADY

Edited by archie1234

So sad, a true colossus of the political world gone, and ironically one of the few politicians of this era to actually have any balls and to go with her convictions.

RIP Lady Thatcher.

Just heard a Falklands veteran break down on radio 2 when he was talking about meeting her.Bet that won't ever happen for any of the other Prime MInisters that followed her.

I agree we should all be respectful of the dead, that said

Personally I did not like or respect her as a person or a politician, the faulklands saved her floundering career, until ultimatly she was kicked out by her own party

its easy to reminice especially with such weak PC politicians we have today, but lets not pretend she was better than her not so special achivments surgest.

Yes she was strong but that was tainted by arogance & bad decission making,