The gun you regretted selling

ditchman

Now there is a turn up, others have mentioned this.

My Beretta 303!

The gun was a gem and worked well but I never got on with it that well, money was not that readily available, and when I decided on a 391 it simply had to go. My lad loved it and dropped everything with it, but he was quite young and a SGC was not really on the cards for him at that time, although he wanted me to keep it for him.

A few years later times changed, he had grown up a bit and I had a couple of quid to buy him a gun, he got a Hatsan Magnun Semi, (it was early days and nobody knew then) BIGGEST mistake I ever made, and he has never forgiven me for selling the 303! :no::no:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Wild S x S hammer gun, needed the barrels re-soldering but grudged the £400 cost at the time so it went from the dealers to auction for a pittance. When bought the stock looked no better than a bit of beech but cleaned and applied with oil it came up as a beautiful piece of walnut.

Blackpowder

Another one that I wish I had kept, was a Browning GTi Grade 5 12 gauge. I bought it new, used it for 11 years, including twice when I represented Wales in DTL. I sold it for £400 less than I paid for it, so a good deal. But, it was an excellent shotgun, and I only sold it because I don't shoot clays now, and it was too good for using on the farm.

Guest rimotu66

My .243 Tikka Continental, serious suspected heart problem put my brain into melt down so I sold everything, guns,rifles and motor cycles, the only one I regret is the Tikka.

After a angiagram (how is that spelt?) turned out my pump was ok so not all bad I guess :good:

I regret selling more than a few, but I can't think about either of two without kicking myself. One was a single-barrelled Isaac Hollis .410. The other was a Watson Brothers .22 rook rifle. I bought them cheaply, sold them for a bit more and now they're expensive to buy. I saw the Watson Bros rifle on a website once for about £2K. Perhaps the one that gutted me most was just after we had our first child and had a big gas bill and I had to sell my El Chimbo double hammergun...For fifteen bloody quid!

Harnser posted a topic about the guns he had over the years and what he has "cut" down to now....and has got me thinking ......of all the guns ive had over the years the one gun i wished i had kept was a "combo"...double barrelled .410 with a .22 rifle tube underneath, it was a hammer gun made in the 1930's and in look was poor..little blueing left, but pristeen barrells and rifling...got it from Richardsons....used to use it in preference to my bolt action BRNO when walking up rabbits on a evening...

that was my regret ,,what was yours ?

32 inch grade 6 325 Browning!! still got the grade 3 but one had to go and I made a 400 quid profit...still kicking my self lol

TEH

My custom hw80 with (tryleon) thumbhole stock if that's how u pronounce it

I p/x ed it against a falcon fn12 carbine full setup with a new shiney divers bottle, over 20 yrs ago just as precharged started, I still think about the hw80 :(

Edited by delburt0

Mine was a 12 shot magazine air rifle my dad bought me as a kid my first one, I gave it to my brother in law as he said he really wanted to get into shooting and I hadn't used it in years, I realised I made a mistake about 6 months later and swapped it for a underlever I had bought and now I'll never part with it, it means to much.

Glad I did as my brother in law took the new one out shooting in the rain and couldn't be bothered to clean it and now it sits in his bedroom covered in rust.

Edited by smokinggun

How long have you got?

Two spring immediately to mind- the grade 5 Browning Citori I bought with a bank loan shortly after I got my first job- it had stunning wood and would now be worth almost double what I paid, and the Gunmark Silver Sabel SLE I bought aged 17 after saving pocket money and cash I earned working for my Dad. My parents were clearly impressed that I had saved so hard- my Mum talked my Dad into giving me the full purchase price back on my 18th birthday. She died 3 months later. I have no idea what I part exchanged it against, but will regret it for as long as I draw breath.

Edited by Sako7mm

I regret selling more than a few, but I can't think about either of two without kicking myself. One was a single-barrelled Isaac Hollis .410. The other was a Watson Brothers .22 rook rifle. I bought them cheaply, sold them for a bit more and now they're expensive to buy. I saw the Watson Bros rifle on a website once for about £2K. Perhaps the one that gutted me most was just after we had our first child and had a big gas bill and I had to sell my El Chimbo double hammergun...For fifteen bloody quid!

you can still pick up "el chimbo's" fairly cheaply.......

Been shooting thirty years and only sold one, a rifle last year, I just tend to get a bigger cabinet. I have had to get a couple of shotguns scrapped though as they were shot out and beyond economic repair.

nice to see i,m not the only 1 that dose not sell his guns ( my son tends to get my old ones ) i can,t seem to give them up like the man said i just get bigger or in my case more cabinets (my wife says how many guns do you need) i tell her i,v always got room for 1 more in my cabinet

I regrett selling my old OU Miruku 28" barreld and black action with fixed choke, not worth masses but I miss it so much and shot so well with it. Not sure what model it was but would love the chance to buy it back again.

Then I regrett leeting my Mrs sell a older Berretta to a mate whos on here also (Harvey) I really liked that gun and it mounted just nice, i never shot it but wish I had.

I guess you live and learn !

Matt

Air Arms 410K it was my first proper PCP airgun and a real tack driver if I did my job. I was lured by bigger shot count and regulated action to a HW100T so part exchanged it. Biggest mistake I ever made the HW100T lasted 4 months never got on with the weight of it :(

I sold my .22 Hornet once and really regretted it. Luckily the fella who bought it decided to sell it again a couple of years later and I heard about it. I bought it back and still have it now.

I also sold my .375H&H which I took to Canada and shot my first whitetail with. That was a shabby old thing but I loved it. If I ever had the chance to buy that back I would.

Has to be an Alex Martin 'Caledonia' 20 bore made in 1916 and fitted by Elderkins, shot everything from greylag to snipe with it using 7/8 no 7 shot.

Put it in storage while I moved and ended up selling it.

Sadly the very same gun appeared on Guntrader last year but I didnt have the cash to get it back.............