Desperate times....lack of birds

ditchman

am i just unlucky or are others suffering the lack of sport.....have been driving over my 3 areas of shooting in the last 3 mths and have not seen anything worth setting up for.....stubbles...nothing...fresh drill nothing 'cept gulls and rooks, cut maize nothing...woods and young rape nothing,

went out to my patch off the cromer road where i always have good results at this time of year, saw 3 birds in an hour, there are loads of small acorns and they are not even dropping on to them.....

...this is the time of year when i dont even bother to recce and still have a good few hours...not even worth bothering at the moment

whats your position...........where are all the birds !!!!!!...........(ive seen more partridge than pigeon this autumn )

(fieldfares are not here yet )

read a few weeks ago about all the zillions of birds on the north norfolk coast......they havnt made their way down here yet .........are they still there ?....motty down at kings lynn hasnt posted any big bird numbers or bags....

as i said before i could go out any day of the week last year at this time and there would be a good flightline in most areas........mind you this time last year it was a lot colder

.....perhaps HARNSER could give us the low down on whats up

ive got 3 slabs of gamebore that are still unopened.....ive painted my deeks, and oiled my flapper...i need to blow the rust outa my barrells........

I went for a wonder with my air rifle the other day because ive also seen very little on my fields there were pigeons in every beech tree i walked past so i sat and waited sure enuf birds were pileing in you couldnt see them because the leafs but you could here them flaping about and beech mast falling everywhere some even landed in my scope so im guessing its going to be hard work till december when its rape time

I went for a wonder with my air rifle the other day because ive also seen very little on my fields there were pigeons in every beech tree i walked past so i sat and waited sure enuf birds were pileing in you couldnt see them because the leafs but you could here them flaping about and beech mast falling everywhere some even landed in my scope so im guessing its going to be hard work till december when its rape time

what are they feeding on .............

will ask when i see him ditchman, cant believe there would be much grain left on field, maybe some chickweed coming through. i was out with rifle about about half mile, and looking through binos what ever was on it the pigeon were hell bent on having it.

read a few weeks ago about all the zillions of birds on the north norfolk coast......they havnt made their way down here yet .........are they still there ?....motty down at kings lynn hasnt posted any big bird numbers or bags....

as i said before i could go out any day of the week last year at this time and there would be a good flightline in most areas........mind you this time last year it was a lot colder

ive got 3 slabs of gamebore that are still unopened.....ive painted my deeks, and oiled my flapper...i need to blow the rust outa my barrells........

I've had some decent bags in recent weeks - 155 on drilled wheat with beans on the surface and 118 on barley stubble. I may have another go on the barley stubble this week. I'm sure I could find a few reasonable situations if I could be bothered to look.

It can be a difficult time of year for pigeons, that's why i'm glad that I'm doing a fair bit of wildfowling at the moment.

will ask when i see him ditchman, cant believe there would be much grain left on field, maybe some chickweed coming through. i was out with rifle about about half mile, and looking through binos what ever was on it the pigeon were hell bent on having it.

I suppose it depends when the field was cut. The field I shot 118 on less than a fortnight ago was cut probably less than a month ago and still has barley on it.

Havent shot many pigeons for weeks ,dont know where they are or what they are feeding on . My patch is only a short flight from the the north norfolk coast and they certinly havent got to me yet . Beet harvest will start any time on my farms ,keeping my fingers crossed .

HARNSER .

Havent shot many pigeons for weeks ,dont know where they are or what they are feeding on . My patch is only a short flight from the the north norfolk coast and they certinly havent got to me yet . Beet harvest will start any time on my farms ,keeping my fingers crossed .

HARNSER .

we are over half way thro the beet harvest here....and nothing...watched the beet being lifted no birds apart from a few rooks and gulls.............the most i have seen is when the beet tops were being ploughed in and the drill working on the plough at the same time.......about 10-15 birds mooching about

last year when that happened on an ajacent field i burnt a slab of catridges off in 3 or so hours .....the pigeons were suicidal !!

No shortage of birds in Lincs Wolds, drillings and yesterday on stubble, cut maize stubble, even rape, I saw several hundred. That said plenty are in flock mode, not settling for long. I've had some fun times, not big bags, in recent winds on stubbles and flighting birds. Got text from a farmer yesterday about pigeons on drilled wheat eating beans left from previous crop.

All very quiet in North Shropshire. Saw a few pigeons on maize stubble on Friday lunchtime whilst on a reccy. Not many but the first time in weeks was worth a set-up. Beating on Saturday so went back on Sunday afternoon and saw one pigeon in 15 minutes. Drove round 2 permissions for 2 hours and saw very few.....and went home. Just have to keep watching.

Just north of Bristol. Great from mid Aug - mid Sept. Amazing sport over flattened barley and stubble. Then suddenly nothing. The odd pair of birds but no numbers. Plenty of rapeseed to about 3" but not drawing them in. Possibly they're feeding elsewhere on nuts, berries, etc and there's still maize to be cut in the area. Frustrated.