Dog attacked my 2 year old daughter.... what are my options?

malkiserow

Well a neighbours dog (a young Boarder Collie) got out from their house, ran around like crazy, came onto our driveway and bit my 2 year old daughter. She has 4 teeth marks (2 in each cheek) but not punctured thankfully. Her cheeks were all puffy but that went down fairly quickly after being chilled.

Police called and I've done my statement. Owner denied it saying the dog was just having fun rounding up children until the police said they saw it on CCTV.

There are loads of kids around and the owner is not responsible and the dog cannot walk to heel or sit or come back when called.

The police seem reluctant to prosecute as they say they prefer to see a "community resolution" which may include a fence in her front garden (which is not allowed under a covenant in the house deeds, hers and ours).

I obviously don't want to have a more vicious attack on my or anyone else's kids.

The owner did not ask how my daughter was or apologise until the police spoke with her.

Daughter now having lots of waking up crying in the night and very afraid of dogs.

What are my options?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear the news malik and hope your daughter makes a full recovery. I don't have an answer to your question unfortunately but I seem to be hearing a lot of reports about collies turning on people, especial kids!

ATB

Heddwch

Sounds like what could be a good dog turning bad because of a bad owner.as the owner doesn't seem bothered about your daughter I'd ask for a interview with a more senior police officer stating that you'd like to take the matterfurther, make it clear you won't be fobbed off.it may sound over the top now but as that dog gdt bigger and stronger the next child/person might be as lucky.

If the police won't act, take out a private prosecution against the owner. The dog needs to be destroyed, as, and god forbid it happens, the next time it could be a lot worse. Seek legal help first to see what is involved.

That seems to me to be very very wise words even though some might think optherwise.

What's would be the point in "letting it go in" the hope that this "incident" is just a one off only for the chance of it happening again, maybe with far worse results?

I'm sorry but I feel that if you are going to keep a dog then you MUST be able to train it and keep it under control at all times - Anything short of that is simply completely irresponsible!

I think you could legitimately say that not only did the dog cause you and your daughter to fear that it would attack again - it has actually attacked your daughter. Don't be fobbed off.

I would be back to the Police and tell them that their preferred solution didn't quite hack it.

Edited by Gordon R

I think border collies are fabulous dogs, but they can get really nippy when they are bored and under exercised. Kids give off a much more excitable energy and the dog will be reacting to that.

I agree with the other posters above, speak to citizens advice or similar to get a steer from them of what your options are in this regard and also write to the police advising that you are extremely unhappy with their proposed solution.

Also speak to your local council and the dog warden service, they have the right to impose an alternate solution or conditions.

Sounds very much like the dog needs to be re-homed with someone who can give the dog the physical and mental exercise it needs, I don't think the dog needs to be destroyed yet, but if left with this owner and with no remedial action it will almost certainly become a bigger problem.

As for your daughter, try your best to see if you can get her to work through her fear of dogs. Do you know anyone with a really calm dog that she can see and spend time with to reassure her that all dogs are not scary?

New powers introduced (Tuesday 13 May 2014) sees the legislation extended to include all private property. This means that for the first time dog owners will no longer be immune from prosecution if their dog attacks somebody in the home.

The maximum sentence for the owner of a dog who kills somebody has been raised from two years to 14 years. If a person is injured from a dog attack the owner faces up to five years imprisonment.

Perhaps the officer dealing with the case isn't up to date with the law.

Hope your daughter gets well.

I think border collies are fabulous dogs, but they can get really nippy when they are bored and under exercised. Kids give off a much more excitable energy and the dog will be reacting to that.

I agree with the other posters above, speak to citizens advice or similar to get a steer from them of what your options are in this regard and also write to the police advising that you are extremely unhappy with their proposed solution.

Also speak to your local council and the dog warden service, they have the right to impose an alternate solution or conditions.

Sounds very much like the dog needs to be re-homed with someone who can give the dog the physical and mental exercise it needs, I don't think the dog needs to be destroyed yet, but if left with this owner and with no remedial action it will almost certainly become a bigger problem.

As for your daughter, try your best to see if you can get her to work through her fear of dogs. Do you know anyone with a really calm dog that she can see and spend time with to reassure her that all dogs are not scary?

That must be very distressing for you your daughter and your family Malc.. and gr is right border collies are wonderful dogs in the correct environment. My wife had a lovely obedient BC when we got married but as we had children it just tried to round them up in the house and would nip them similarly in order to corral them...It was just doing what it was bred to do but in the wrong environment.

It didn't deserve to be put down so we re-homed it to a semi retired Farmer at 6 years old and it was a transformation.

I would agree with gr approach the local authority initially and see what your options are before resorting to legal action.

Hope your daughter will be OK.

Tell the police to act, say your not willing to do what they requested, as next time it could be more serious. If they don't act tell them you are going to the press dog attacks toddler police ignore etc, with the current spate of dog attacks on kids I think they will follow the book to the letter if you make some noise.

They can't ignore it, incase something else happens with the dog needs to be delt with. If one of my kids got bit I'd be complaining and moaning to everyone kicking up a right stink.

My neighbour has a 6 month old pup and she has no control over it whatsoever, if I dare sit on my wall in the backyard she will go totally mad and try and nip me or any other person that comes near the boundary.

My neighbour's solution to this? She will count to five backwards in the style of a teacher or parent that has just asked a child to come indoors.

You can clearly see the behavioural problems developing and I am very conserned for this poor animal.

It's an accident waiting to happen due to poor basic obedience and lack of effort.

I'm afraid you need to take action collies are lovely dog but need working hard in my experience. The police need to be told to re think or take a civil action (you'll need legal advice) but the dog won't get better they tend to get worse.

My sister grow up with collies but got bite by a neighbours as it escaped their small holding bite her properly on the A55, fun but 18 years later she still hates collies, I hope your daughter is young enough you you to help through a fear of dogs.

PS farmer shot his dog for biting a person no police needed.

Edited by welshwarrior

Much as I hate to say it, the dog must be destroyed. Prosecution is the only answer. Insist on the police taking this further, and that you are not satisfied with their 'community resolution'.

As an aside, if the police decline to do so, say you want that decision IN WRITING, with the signature of the officer deciding on that course of action. Then, if the dog bites anyone in the future, that officer would find themselves 'on the hook' partially.

At that stage, I suspect you'll find that they might find prosecution more palatable.

It isn't the dogs fault but sadly I have to agree with it being put down, shame the owners are so irresponsible. The police must act on this! Hope your daughter is well. If there is CCTV I can't see why a prosecution is not possible. Rich.

Sorry to hear about the incident and hope your little girl is okay. Not sure where you are based but I have a collie who is fantastic with children and you would be more than welcome to pop in with your little girl for her to meet him. I have an 18 month old son so he is well used to little ones.

I cant believe the police are not willing to do something especially with all the recent stories and changes in the law, as said above a quick mention of the word PRESS would get the police moving.

With regards to people saying the dog should be destroyed without knowing all the facts its difficult to make a sweeping statement, depending on the age and lifestyle of the dog and some decent training or re homing may be all it needs. Saying that if my collie attacked my son he would be put down without any questions but that is because he knows what is right and wrong and been trained to be around young kids.

Collies are known for being nippy and should never be in a domestic environment every time you go on a farm you are always watching for the collie running in for a quick nip there are known for it prosecute the owner and have the dog relocated

Put in a complaint to the duty inspector of the force/dept concerned if the community resolution decision is the way the incident has been finalised. This sounds like an easy disposal with the least amount of paperwork.

All complaints are looked into by an inspector, if that doesn't work ask for it to be escalated higher.

Edited by Muddy Funker

There are too many members saying the dog must be destroyed...

Why? Destroying the animal should be a last resort, not the first thing on the "jobs to do list".

I agree, the destruction of the dog should only happen if all other options have been taken. Without a doubt there needs to be action taken agains the owner and the collie should be re-homed, without proper handling and adequate exercise they can be a real nuisance and tend to be very nippy.

My neighbour has a 6 month old pup and she has no control over it whatsoever, if I dare sit on my wall in the backyard she will go totally mad and try and nip me or any other person that comes near the boundary.

My neighbour's solution to this? She will count to five backwards in the style of a teacher or parent that has just asked a child to come indoors.

You can clearly see the behavioural problems developing and I am very conserned for this poor animal.

It's an accident waiting to happen due to poor basic obedience and lack of effort.

A dog protecting its house I don't see it an accident to happen. Dogs are usually completely different to strangers outside of the house to inside. Sitting on the wall looks like you want to enter the garden.

Funny not all dogs are bought up as lap dogs.