What ever is shooting coming to ?

Harnser

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What with people frightened to drive their 4x4 through long grass ,frightened to work their dogs on barley stubble and frightened to use their guns in case they get them dirty . I despair .

Harnser

I must admit, I have been thinking the same! I'm waiting for the " I've brought new wellies but I don't want to get them dirty" lol

I must admit, I have been thinking the same! I'm waiting for the " I've brought new wellies but I don't want to get them dirty" lol

We did have a thread were somebody was moaning because his nice new wellies were getting scratched in brambles .

Harnser.

I knew a guy once that drove his 4x4 in long grass and ran over a chain harrow, it didn't do his tyres a lot of good !!

Another friend of mine had quite a large vets bill for a barley spike that went in his Lab's eye and wasn't found until it festered.

The following year it was a blackthorn spike that caused the trouble.

I'm not so sure about the dirty rifle thing because I used my rifle, still held in my hand, to stop my arm from sinking up to my shoulder in mud once.

I found that it didn't do any damage other than spoil it's looks for a few minutes after extraction.

I was a bit worried when poking a Hazel wand down the barrel to clear the mud out, but it all worked out fine in the end.

As for getting my new wellies dirty, now that's another thing altogether ;-)

these people just do not exist in my world . I wont and don't give them the time of day ,

All the gear and NO idea !

What with people frightened to drive their 4x4 through long grass ,frightened to work their dogs on barley stubble and frightened to use their guns in case they get them dirty . I despair .

Harnser

Armchair hunters.

these people just do not exist in my world . I wont and don't give them the time of day ,

All the gear and NO idea !

I noticed you are all happy to post snidey comments on a new thread but completely unable to contribute to my question about dogs and barley. Perhaps it would be better give those of us that don't know everything the benefit of your wisdom rather than assume that asking a question makes you inferior.

I have never shot over barley, others have, so I asked a question and those generous enough with their knowledge and time answered - the consensus was that it is a bad idea so I have an answer and increased my knowledge.

I go shooting usually twice a week or more , I have been shooting pigeon for over 30 years now ,so like to think I have some idea, I have all the gear , perhaps too much of it .

But it seems that as I care about the welfare of my dogs I am a armchair hunter , and do not exist in some peoples world .

Well I really do not give much of a fig and will continue to use my dogs as I think is right , not how somebody else thinks I should.

I go shooting usually twice a week or more , I have been shooting pigeon for over 30 years now ,so like to think I have some idea, I have all the gear , perhaps too much of it .

But it seems that as I care about the welfare of my dogs I am a armchair hunter , and do not exist in some peoples world .

Well I really do not give much of a fig and will continue to use my dogs as I think is right , not how somebody else thinks I should.

Quite right

I now shoot mostly on my own, one of the main reasons is due to waiting for the sun to come out, or the drizzle is too wet, mamby pamby, s. Being leg down last minute, now as for driving through tall grass, well not on my permissions they are mostly grazing and hay.

Boot's must be covered in poo and smell like a surry pit in mid summer.

The op has shown his curmudgeonly side on other threads of late.

If people want to look after their dogs or their vehicles that is up to them. I do and would encourage others to do the same. Having a pop at such people is unnecessary.

Thought this was gonna be a good thread but as I opened it and see the op comment it sort of went down hill after that, disappointed :-(

Some go this way,

But being worried about the welfare of your dog, I see as a valid point,

Must be a quiet night on the telly :no:

:shaun:

have to be honest,,i,m not happy unless I,m out in a field and covered in **** just so I can get a couple of rabbits, I have laid in mud covered in **** for hours ,its even took days to get the smell out my gear and numerous washes to get the smell off me, do I care NO

but when it comes to my dog well he,s the same he,s not happy unless he,s covered in **** from head to foot but as regards driving through the fields well its barley and the farmer would go ape**** if I damaged his crop

have to say though my dogs welfare comes first no matter what

atb Evo

Quite right

See post 11 and the one above

Yeah.

The op has shown his curmudgeonly side on other threads of late.

If people want to look after their dogs or their vehicles that is up to them. I do and would encourage others to do the same. Having a pop at such people is unnecessary.

.. I had to look that one up. CURMUDGEONLY

a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains.

Is this a SUB form of FLANGE ITUS?

Edited by fortune

Harnser

well if I had a beat up 4+4 a rusty old musket and a dog that's not worth a **** I'd too be more care free like your good self. Lol

well if I had a beat up 4+4 a rusty old musket and a dog that's not worth a **** I'd too be more care free like your good self. Lol

Made me smile.

On a serious note, do we shoot because we enjoy it or because we feel we owe a duty of care to the farmers ? I'm guessing that most people shoot because they enjoy it, so if that means we wait for nice weather to go shooting what's the problem ? It's not like we're getting paid for it.