Another ton bites the dust

motty

I was invited to shoot a rape stubble by my mate David. It was hammered back in March and I predicted we could get a good shoot now that the crop was gone. I suggested that it might be a good idea to shoot the field yesterday as today's weather forecast was for some heavy rain.

When I arrived at the field at 8.30 am yesterday to work out the best spot, the field (split by a dry ditch) was being worked on. I sat and watched and then chose our spot. We had to wait for the tractor to finish work where we wanted to be, but we were in no rush.

Eventually I built the hide on the side of the bank. It stood out, but I was confident the pigeons wouldn't be afraid of it. A good pattern of various decoys were placed out. We used flocked shells and full bodied, neoprene pros, fuds and sillosocks. A magnet was deployed to one side of the pattern.

The action was slow to start and I expected it. Another magnet was added and also a floater and some angels.

I have been off form of late, but I shot really well yesterday. Anything in and around the decoys was not missed and I took on and killed some nice long rangers. I used some of the 'Proper cartridges' 32gm 6. They did a good job. I also used some Clever Mirage 28gm 7. These are only £38 a slab and I must admit they seem a very consistent cartridge and killed excellently with 1/2 choke.

My shooting partner is a relative beginner and did not shoot too well. We both managed to shoot a 2-for-1, mine was especially pleasing as I waited for one pigeon to catch up with his mate.

We plodded along mostly and I thought we would do well to kill 50, but we carried on until around 6pm and killed 103.

post-2090-0-58318500-1407002286_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-87341300-1407002416_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-94226100-1407002505_thumb.jpg

Well done , another good bag , seems you have now turned the dissapointing harvest around.

Bunnage is going tio be so dissapointed in you :lol::lol: :lol:

Let's hope so.

Birds are now starting to turn up where I expect them, so that's good.

There were several hundred today on the rape field you shot on Monday. The farmer started discing it today, but the birds may remain.

I was invited to shoot a rape stubble by my mate David. It was hammered back in March and I predicted we could get a good shoot now that the crop was gone. I suggested that it might be a good idea to shoot the field yesterday as today's weather forecast was for some heavy rain.

When I arrived at the field at 8.30 am yesterday to work out the best spot, the field (split by a dry ditch) was being worked on. I sat and watched and then chose our spot. We had to wait for the tractor to finish work where we wanted to be, but we were in no rush.

Eventually I built the hide on the side of the bank. It stood out, but I was confident the pigeons wouldn't be afraid of it. A good pattern of various decoys were placed out. We used flocked shells and full bodied, neoprene pros, fuds and sillosocks. A magnet was deployed to one side of the pattern.

The action was slow to start and I expected it. Another magnet was added and also a floater and some angels.

I have been off form of late, but I shot really well yesterday. Anything in and around the decoys was not missed and I took on and killed some nice long rangers. I used some of the 'Proper cartridges' 32gm 6. They did a good job. I also used some Clever Mirage 28gm 7. These are only £38 a slab and I must admit they seem a very consistent cartridge and killed excellently with 1/2 choke.

My shooting partner is a relative beginner and did not shoot too well. We both managed to shoot a 2-for-1, mine was especially pleasing as I waited for one pigeon to catch up with his mate.

We plodded along mostly and I thought we would do well to kill 50, but we carried on until around 6pm and killed 103.

Motty just wondering where do you get your cheap cartridges from ....

Let's hope so.

Birds are now starting to turn up where I expect them, so that's good.

There were several hundred today on the rape field you shot on Monday. The farmer started discing it today, but the birds may remain.

Typical , they would be easier to decoy once its disced I would have thought as that stubble was quite long .

Just out of interest when the pigeon were hammering the rape in March did anyone shoot decent bags then ?

We had trouble finding out who the field belonged to. By the time the permission was granted, the pigeons had moved to pastures new.

Motty just wondering where do you get your cheap cartridges from ....

I get them from Whaplode, quite often. Cecil is one of the cheapest anywhere.

I have been getting some Trust 28gm 6 for £40 for 250 at Ovington ( a bit far for you).

Edited by motty

Hi Motty, I counted 44 decoys in your pattern, approximately how many were dead birds?

Thanks

The photo didn't show the whole pattern. I would say we started with at least 40 artificial decoys and I reckon around 40-50 dead birds were added once they were shot.

We had trouble finding out who the field belonged to. By the time the permission was granted, the pigeons had moved to pastures new.

I get them from Whaplode, quite often. Cecil is one of the cheapest anywhere.

I have been getting some Trust 28gm 6 for £40 for 250 at Ovington ( a bit far for you).

Motty did you know the game dealers is about 2 miles from Paddy Woods at Ovington , the last cartridges I got from him were the Trust 30gm 6s at £180 a 1000, quite a good shell, just wondered if you knew Bambridge is just round the corner as I sometimes drop my pigeons off and then go and get my cartridges , it save a bit of running about and give you more time for shooting .....cant be bad.