Ched Evans..What are your thoughts.

Fisherman Mike

...I just checked, it was definitely a conviction for rape.

Whilst trial by PW is a standard practice we all enjoy let's not forget a real jury heard this case in full and reached their own guilty verdict.

All that that proves is that some very expensive barristers got a group of ten or twelve people to who may or may not have bias for one or the other choice for a shot period of time lots of people on jurys change there mind after the trile.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that that proves is that some very expensive barristers got a group of ten or twelve people to who may or may not have bias for one or the other choice for a shot period of time lots of people on jurys change there mind after the trile.

What an idiotic comment.

So no verdict reached by jury in this country since the formation of our legal system is safe?

And can people stop spouting the same, "he's not being allowed to work" rubbish. For the last time, he IS allowed to work, he can do whatever he wants. HOWEVER, employers are not (and shouldn't be) forced to hire convicted criminals. If he can't get a job in football he can go and clean toilets or something else.

If you really gives a **** about this stupid idiot then YOU CAN GIVE HIM A JOB!

UNSUBSCRIBED

Fans complain that clubs do not listen to them, whether it be price, travel, kit, etc. On this occasion, lots of fans complained that they do not wish their club to hire a convicted rapist. In reality, this means they do not find young Ched a sympathetic character and have decided that their club can do without one more conceited, spoiled throbber.

For those who say there's a grand conspiracy and the victim "asked for it," etc, the jury didn't think so when they heard the evidence and that's that. He's supposed to be appealing against his conviction and let's see if that changes matters, although he still cheated on his girlfriend on the night in question, so he's still a scumbag.

If only he and his PR team had shown a little more humility when he was released, perhaps he'd be working - if you can call it that - now..?

If oldham have 60000 fans then about 57000 must never go to the game................. rentamob me thinks

In a week of sound and fury, of passionate conviction and vigorous dissent, the voice of Steve Bruce soared out above the din.

He was pledging his support to Ched Evans, and he did so in these words: ‘When you look at the evidence, it is there for appeal... it’s a pity they could not have the appeal and get it over and done with... when you look at the case in detail, and I don’t think most people have really, because they have just seen Ched Evans as a convicted rapist, when you do look at the case and look at the evidence then certainly Ched has got a case... I think the events of the appeal, for me, will see Ched be allowed to play football again.’

So far as I can ascertain, Bruce has no legal qualifications, neither did he sit through the Evans trial, hear the evidence, study the faces of the witnesses; all those chores which are routinely undertaken by dutiful juries.

Anyone else called Bruce ?

Edited by Kes

What an idiotic comment.

So no verdict reached by jury in this country since the formation of our legal system is safe?

And can people stop spouting the same, "he's not being allowed to work" rubbish. For the last time, he IS allowed to work, he can do whatever he wants. HOWEVER, employers are not (and shouldn't be) forced to hire convicted criminals. If he can't get a job in football he can go and clean toilets or something else.

If you really gives a **** about this stupid idiot then YOU CAN GIVE HIM A JOB!

UNSUBSCRIBED

So do u not think employers should be allowed to employ convicted criminals IF THEY want?

He has quite iunderstandably tried to go back to his previous 'profession' , he is not forcing himself on clubs, it seems they are willing to employ him but it is the 'rent a mob' attitude has forced the clubs not to employ him. As has been pointed out doubt any of these 'fans' could point to oldham on a map

Can u not see the hypocracy in wot u have wrote?? The owners shouldn't have anyone forced on them but equally should be free to employ anyone they want. That does not seem to be the case here. I really doubt ched is in a position to force himself anywhere

Do u not think a football pitch is the safestplace for him?? Would u want him working behind a bar where ur daughter drinks? Or stacking shelf's alongside ur daughter/wife or even son.

As has been said by a few on here why is it unacceptable to restart a playing carear as a convicted rapist who has served his time (surely another corner stone of the legal system, serve ur time and ur debt to society is served??) yet no one seemed to bother when 2 footballers who killed people by dangerous driving/drunk and dangerous driving are happily still playing??? No one even raised an eyebrow. Is wiping a family out while drunk behind a wheel a lesser crime? It would appear so.

And as also has been mentioned mike tyson?

If oldham have 60000 fans then about 57000 must never go to the game................. rentamob me thinks

Well the owners of the various clubs who rejected him all seem to think "their" fans were very negative. As were their sponsors, who stated that they would rip up their contracts if they hired him.

The PM suggest that he volunteer to do some charity work to sort out his image, which isn't a bad idea.

Thought obviously not at a women's shelter or anywhere similar...

Whether he is guilty of not - a court found him guilty and sent him to prison. Just where does it say he can't get on with his life. If he had almost any other job - please don't supply a list of jobs it would affect - he would be allowed to go back to it.

Because he is a footballer, some want an extra punishment. People complained he didn't apologise - he then apologises - that isn't enough. He didn't sound sincere enough for some. Just what do they want?

Someone got killed by a goalkeeper a couple of years ago - there are more footballers who have killed someone - but this lad has to carry on paying.

I have no time for him, but can't see the fuss. The morale outrage brigade worry me.

As for the "if it was your daughter etc" - I would hope any child of mine would have more sense than to get blind drunk and end up in a hotel with a stranger. Turn it on its head - if it was your son - would you expect him to keep paying for the rest of his life?

:good:

I am rather amazed by this thread - many think rape has shades of grey. If you dont consent and if you cant consent its rape, simple. If, on appeal it can be shown that the girl in question lied, she will be imprisoned for perverting the course of justice and he will be exonerated.

Rape is an appalling crime at its worst - India for example. if a women didnt say yes or couldnt say yes its a crime, full stop.

It does seem like we have a third world view of women, nearly everyone has made a judgement that 'she was asking for it'.

Very humbling to see such prejudice. Happy to be almost isolated with my view.

Edited by Kes

Kes - don't disagree with most of what you said, but she will not be charged with perverting the course of justice.

If someone serves a sentence which was based on a lie, then if the truth is different surely Mr Evans would press for her to be charged? I know I would?

This after having changed my Christian name for Ack- Ack, naturally.

Kes, You're by no means alone. At least one poster in this thread has form for making disparaging comments about genuine victims of sexual abuse.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

It does indeed - probably the reverse view would be taken if the party was a politician rather than a footballer - because they all lie dont they ?

Whatever happened to personal justice ? Innocent after having been found guilty - it makes you weep.

I'm struggling somewhat with the holier than thou views being portrayed by some here.

Frankly, I don't care if he is guilty or not, he has been found guilty and punished in accordance with that, he has served his time.

Where does it say he can't continue his role as a footballer, where does it say he has to apologise to anyone for anything, and which of the great and good here decide whether his job is a role model or not?

If the greater society/legal system has not barred him from certain jobs, why is it that certain members of the public feel it is down to them to continue his punishment and deprive him of a living?!

I'm struggling somewhat with the holier than thou views being portrayed by some here.

Frankly, I don't care if he is guilty or not, he has been found guilty and punished in accordance with that, he has served his time.

Where does it say he can't continue his role as a footballer, where does it say he has to apologise to anyone for anything, and which of the great and good here decide whether his job is a role model or not?

If the greater society/legal system has not barred him from certain jobs, why is it that certain members of the public feel it is down to them to continue his punishment and deprive him of a living?!

The law is the law on this and I've provided a few links concerning it.

His sentence will never be spent under the current Rehab of Offenders Act (which is irrelevant in the case of a famous person anyway because everyone already knows about it and all sorts of reasons could be given for not employing someone were it to be one day spent) so it is for businesses to make a commercial decision whether employing him will affect sales. That's probably all it's going to come down to in the end.

The wider point being made by some here and on all threads of this type is that certain people, here and elsewhere, and we all know who they are, are all too quick to cry that someone's just after 'compo', which muddies the waters when genuine victims want justice. I'm not saying the victim here hasn't had it (if he's guilty), I'm just making the point.

• 1 year later...

I am not surprise by the verdict, but surprised at the evidence that emerged during the trial, which did not appear at the first trial.

I would have thought that checking the alleged victim's phone / texts record would have been high on anyone's list.

Not got a lot of time for footballers or any other "celebs" who find themselves in the same situation as Ched Evans but his conviction has been dubious from the off. The appeal process has taken too long and as it turns out a now innocent man has lost out both financially and personally. He is unlikely to recap his losses and even more unlikely to receive apologies from those who have vilified him.

The thing is, the girl involved has had her evidence at the first trial completely trashed and you have to now wonder about the police investigation and the way evidence was presented at the first trial.

They must have known things were not right, but they went for it anyway. There does appear to have been an element of stitch up. Probably because he was a footballer, they feared dropping it would draw accusations of a cover up, and it would have. .

Now they are going to find themselves right under the spotlight in a very big way and the compensation lawyers will be circling. I would not like to be in their shoes.

Edited by Vince Green

I am not surprise by the verdict, but surprised at the evidence that emerged during the trial, which did not appear at the first trial.

I would have thought that checking the alleged victim's phone / texts record would have been high on anyone's list.

Quite.

She will walk away from any action.

He is not guilty of rape, but is an idiot. I am sure his career will be on the up, but he has missed a few of his best footballing years.

I believe they apparently do not prosecute fake rape accusations as some claim it stops people from coming forward!

I personally know a lad on the rugby team who served several years only for the woman who accused him to be prosecuted for something relating to trying to accuse two others of rape and both proving without a doubt they were innocent! He is fighting like hell to overturn his conviction!