Taking A Ghost After 20 Years.

Elk hunter

I thought I'd share one of two of the most memorable hunts of my life back in August 2014 apon my lease in the borders.

After picking up Sharon and Willow from the train station I headed north with my old shooting pal Oliver. We were having our annual syndicate meet all five of us for a coupe of days shooting the breeze and hopefully a roe buck.

On arrival Terry was already there with the kettle on and sitting in the sun far to relaxed. Not long after Mike and Neil arrived so all clocked in by 3.30 pm all to do was change into some stalking gear.

The Ground.

84f937c97fa67bec2171ab088b815d8c.jpg

As Terry was a new member this year I took him with me for a stalk onto the clear fell as the weather was good that was a in my opinion the place to look. On hitting the bottom of the clear fell I was explaining to Terry that the was a resident doe. It crossed into the new planing on a regular basis as I'd and Oliver had seen her over the summer and would be a good place to sit as if there's a doe a buck won't be to far behind.

Unfortunately Terry decided to lay his rifle down along with his sticks and go take a leek. Mid way his through his motion a buck and doe appeared out of nowhere and clocked us pair of prunes, then legged it. Poor old Terry had no chance of getting to his rifle in time and I get very excited when roe stalking. Rifle slipped off my shoulder up to my cheek, picked up the running buck in my sight. Boom over he went, deer down, Terry still had his old man in his hand and I'd reloaded all in a split second.

Nice Buck

b19da193af47fbd9bb78fb6b75e86567.jpg

Terry being a good sport admitted two things. First there was no way he'd got a shot off and second was the amount I practice certainly pays off, 120 yards free standing on a running buck.

25-06 had just bagged me another 6 point buck.

Back at the caravan we had to relive the moment all over again how Terry wet himself trying to get to his gun and I put the buck in the truck. From then on it was the Terry's "Stolen Buck" needless to say I got over it very quickly.

Into the larder

3a995284ec59cde6c38e15255037785c.jpg

Tuesday started out wet and windy and that was the way it continued. Fortunately it would rain then stop and we had an assortment of fruit from melons to cocoanut to at 250 yards to blast at. Easy with some tactical equipment but great fun with .22 LR subsonic at that distance and tomatoes at 80 yards with air rifles. The day was just pure fun as we all bought toys to play with.

The list consisted of .17 & .22 FAC Air rifle, .22 LR, .22 K Hornet, .22 Jet, .223, .6mm PPC, .243, .25-06, .257 W Mag, .270, 6.5x55, .7x57, .308, .30-06 & .300 H&H. Some there were 5 of each calibre so a pie of fun and the rain never dampened out spirits.

6 pm that evening the weather broke and glorious sunshine all around, so no excuses off stalking. I took the river up to the stone circle then up the valley. I know there was a doe around the top of the wood that frequented next doors clear fell, good place to start. Half way up the valley there is a fallen tree that gave me cover and a reasonable view. After dicking about trying to get in a good position I decided to move.

By the clear fell

a4d56f4f00f90973541757ae95846681.jpg

Big mistake as I moved out of my cover and around the fallen tree, a monster 6 point buck was stepping out the tree line too. Our eyes met at 20 yards, I was in no position to slip my rifle off my shoulder and he had no intentions of being shot. The one that got away, I was kicking myself.

So I decided to carry on up the top and down the other side with little or no hope of seeing anything. After walking the boundary I took a small ride down through the trees to the river. As I came into the river ride something caught my eye 100 plus yards away under the tree line. It was very dark in colour with a tint of red defiantly a deer. Then I saw it turn! Holy cow it was a the very elusive sika, not only a sika but a sika stag in season. Now I've shot many deer but I've never seen a sika in the wild, in fact I'd never seen one alive they were like ghosts. Dropped to my knees, shouldered my rifle as it turned to cross the ride. The grass was long and all I could see was high should and above. Quick whistle to get its attention, flicked off the safety and taking a neck shot.

River Ride

375bc85b901c4c0d0c9f378e3fb7012c.jpg

He ran a couple of yards and rolled over, as I was on my own I approached within 20 yards and waited 5 minutes as I could see he was some size. When I was happy it was safe I walked up. I was blown away 7 point sika, that was a good stag in anyone's book.

The Ghost

d123cfb3ab0bb6558c97d470e29b6b8d.jpg

Dark by the time we had got back with my faithful friend.

c7349283f70946ae3598d04dd44dd5e1.jpg

After gutting I had to drag it to the road and only a matter of 300 yards. Its the longest, hardest 300 yard drag I ever done on that lease or any other. On reaching the road I took a picture and headed back for some help. Oliver and Neil just did not believe I bagged such a big ghost as many stories have been told but very few shot. I was knackered but over the moon as its been a goal for the past 20 years to see let alone shoot a wild sika in the borders.

I retired to bed after a coupe of well earned beers.

Wednesday I spent skinning and butchering ready for the trip home.

Time to butcher

c5f9065eee57549f0fd1651f5b66dd9c.jpg

e6c9dcc89e1cd1a2be6fcfb28d543c87.jpg

All caped off ready to be mounted.

a4a087ada2dfc5411f3b0d79e1732186.jpg

For me it was a truly memorable three day hunt with some great shooting buddies.

Thank you for reading.

Andrew