What was your first shotgun ?

Old Boggy

This has probably been done to death before, so I apologise if it has, but as title says, what was your first shotgun. I'm sure many on here like me started out with airguns and moved onto shotguns.

Mine was one of the ubiquitous single barrel folding Belgian .410 handed down from my older brother when I was 11 in 1959.

Licence, 5 Bob at the post office and a box of Eley Fourlong from the hardware shop. No doubt, someone on here can recall the price of cartridges then. Mine were paid for from the proceeds of a paper round and sale of rabbits at the butchers.

Come on then, what was yours ?

I borrowed my Dads folding 410 SbS cartridges where made with 303 cases as the hulls. I was meant to buy powder etc but nicked a few 16 bore cartridges from time to time as well.

First gun that was mine was a "modern yank thing" as dad called it a Beretta 682 silver action that I still shoot today

Legally, a folding .410 'poachers' single barrelled shotgun with hollowed out stock, which an old boy gave me to shoot the rabbits in his garden.

Come on then Scully, what about the illegal ones, no-one will ever know !

A single Spanish 12 gauge, I purchased new from the Exchange & Mart in 1958 for £3.10 shillings, I also saved up for the gun from my paper-round wages.

When shopping my Mother used to buy 6 x Eley Maximum No 6 cartridges at a time from our local ironmongery, paid for from the sale of rabbits, hares & pigeons.

im a fair bit different to most of you guys here as although im a lifelong hunter it was always airguns, its only a few years ago i got a shotgun, first shotgun was a lanber sporting delux. was a gorgeous gun but one, as things changed and i all but stopped doing sporting clays (only clays i did where trap) i didnt seem to use so i sold it... then relaised how much i enjoyed an over/under in the field as a change to my semi-auto so bought another at christmas.. this time around a bought a browning 525 sporter

A double trigger Baikal OU that my dad bought me when I was 15. I had to get rid of it when I was posted to Northern Ireland while in the Army, but through a bizarre set of coincidences it ended up coming back to me 13 years later and I still use it to this day.

9mm 'ACME' garden gun with something like a 22 inch illegal barrel, long since hack sawed into several pieces. Followed by an Italian single barrel folding 12 bore a horrible piece of kit which made way fro an Army and Navy hammer gun, still in my cabinet 55 years on.

Blackpowder

First shotgun I used was a 9mm Flobert rimfire garden gun, took me 18 months to nail a rabbit with it. First shotgun I bought was a new Laurona O/U, £76 from memory with a box of 3 inch ICI number 1s thrown in,.very tightly choked, it made way for a string of mainly Miroku's some years later.

A

9mm 'ACME' garden gun with something like a 22 inch illegal barrel, long since hack sawed into several pieces. Followed by an Italian single barrel folding 12 bore a horrible piece of kit which made way fro an Army and Navy hammer gun, still in my cabinet 55 years on.

Blackpowder

Those Italian single's used to kick like a mule - as you rightly say 'a horrible piece of kit'