Urban foxes

Scully

Was on the tube yesterday and while crossing Putney Bridge what I thought was a dog on the track turned out to be a fox. I know urban foxes exist but being a country lad I wasn't expecting to see one trotting along the sides of the railway at 1030 in the morning. Apart from looking a bit hot and being a very dirty looking red it seemed fine and unbothered.

First urban fox I've ever seen.

London is full of foxes, its because of all the fast food restaurants and people feeding them I suspect.

Its the perfect environment and they are not at all shy of people, they just stroll around like they own the place in broad daylight

Same here in Bristol where Bristol University once ran a fox watch project. We live very central and there is an allotment to the rear of the house where foxes can be seen almost any time of the day.. They even come into our garden. Sadly I do not have a FAC otherwise the fox population would be reduced considerably.

Same here in Bristol where Bristol University once ran a fox watch project. We live very central and there is an allotment to the rear of the house where foxes can be seen almost any time of the day.. They even come into our garden. Sadly I do not have a FAC otherwise the fox population would be reduced considerably.

I don't mind them, they do no harm in the town and I always get a little buzz when I see one. The only thing that is antisocial is their poop .

I don't mind them, they do no harm in the town and I always get a little buzz when I see one. The only thing that is antisocial is their poop .

You may want to rethink that statement. They very often carry mange which can be passed onto domestic pets, they pull bins apart and drag rubbish around which can cause other issues such as health hazzards, they take peoples pets (rabbits, chickens etc), they dig in peoples gardens which may seem trivial to some but not when people spend lots of time and money on their pride and joy. Not just their poop that is antisocial.

You may want to rethink that statement. They very often carry mange which can be passed onto domestic pets, they pull bins apart and drag rubbish around which can cause other issues such as health hazzards, they take peoples pets (rabbits, chickens etc), they dig in peoples gardens which may seem trivial to some but not when people spend lots of time and money on their pride and joy. Not just their poop that is antisocial.

Yes I agree but pets get vacinated against mange and a few bins are not the end of the world. What I meant was thats nothing compared to the damage they do in farming areas to livestock or pheasants

people like them, they feed them and sit and watch them on their lawns in the evening

Edited by Vince Green

I live in South London and they are everywhere and to see three or four during daylight hours is common. no fear of people or cars. Last house I rented had an average sized garden with patio doors leading to it. Foxes would sit watching me feed my little girl to the point it freaked her out big time. Cage trap used and on four months I caught eleven foxes. All rehomed to the local tip in bin bags

Driving round the East end from 2-6 am i used to see 4-5 foxes every morning,quite a few would be curled up on the road getting the heat from the tarmac and were very reluctant to move,have seen more than one carrying a kfc or macie d's box as they trot down the road.

We nearly always see more coming home through the burbs than when out after them round the pens?

I suppose easier living?

http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/eight_people_trapped_in_alconbury_club_by_aggressive_fox_1_4133919

Not always harmless. I'm surprised there wasn't a Rabies alarm going off with this one.

My first thought too KFC.

Think I'm right in saying that Bristol was the first city to have them in numbers. Well before the M4/M5 coming from S Wales/Gloucester and taking the short route through Bristol for Weston-S-M in the early hours we'd see many - and the people out feeding them.