Site theft

digger

Had a call from the plumber on one of our sites ( 8 new two bed flats ) to say the site had been done over. In the region of £ 5k worth of power tools, lots of tube, all the lead flashing and 8 boilers Chippies, sparks, plasterers and tilers all now have to take tomorrow off and try to work out what they have lost.

who really buys clearly stolen 2nd hand tools ? rant over

Had a call from the plumber on one of our sites ( 8 new two bed flats ) to say the site had been done over. In the region of £ 5k worth of power tools, lots of tube, all the lead flashing and 8 boilers Chippies, sparks, plasterers and tilers all now have to take tomorrow off and try to work out what they have lost.

Realistically, probably alot of people.

Nobody gives a thought for the tradesmen who might supply their own tools & gear, be out thousands and not be able to go to work.

One thing, put up on Facebook in the area that these family lads now can't work due to this thieving scrote, hopefully someone will give a tip off.

car boot sales

Loads of folk will buy stolen kit unfortunately...

I work on site regularly and would never leave my kit on site for this reason, it's not insured, to valuable to me to leave at risk and such an easy target on an empty site , especially bank hol weekend while no one is around

I warned the lads six weeks ago that I caught a traveller snooping round site and booted him off rapidly. It was only a matter of time til they came back but after a month of unloading and re loading tools into their vans they became complacent.

I work on site regularly and would never leave my kit on site for this reason, it's not insured, to valuable to me to leave at risk and such an easy target on an empty site , especially bank hol weekend while no one is around

Spot on. :good:

Who would know on ebay ? They're sold as used tools from a retiring tradesman, no way of proving otherwise.

Takes me all my time to leave tools in people's garages when I work in their house, Glad I got away from site work.

School boy error :yes: bank holiday weekend they should have taken them home and off site :yes: sad state of affairs I know,but always someone out to make a few quid at the cost of others :/ BB

On a Sunday when your bored take a trip around the car boot sales,in your area, you will be amazed at the amount of 110 v power tools and hand tools our foriegn friends have amassed, these wonderful friends from overseas who can barely speak english, seem to have quite an arrangement of 110v Dewalt tools, not just one bench saw but 3 or 4 power planes numerous drills of different sorts.

It amazes me and I can be seen swiftly walking passed shaking my head, wondering where are our police when you need them.

Oh by the way I am one of those tradesman that has had his entire tool collection stolen from my van and also from a site in daytime hours,

I am not pointing the figure at anyone but it will be well worth a visit to identify if any are your tools

Car boot sales and e-bay are a thieves charter.

I tried to explain the whole circle to a mate who had his satellite system nicked ( this was in the early days before sky) and was about to buy one from a bloke down at the pub..

On a Sunday when your bored take a trip around the car boot sales,in your area, you will be amazed at the amount of 110 v power tools and hand tools our foriegn friends have amassed, these wonderful friends from overseas who can barely speak english, seem to have quite an arrangement of 110v Dewalt tools, not just one bench saw but 3 or 4 power planes numerous drills of different sorts.

It amazes me and I can be seen swiftly walking passed shaking my head, wondering where are our police when you need them.

Oh by the way I am one of those tradesman that has had his entire tool collection stolen from my van and also from a site in daytime hours,

I am not pointing the figure at anyone but it will be well worth a visit to identify if any are your tools

100% agree

Sign of the times I'm afraid now that police have retired from what they deem is minor crime detection due to budget cuts no doubt.

It emerged a few weeks ago they would also only come out to attempted burglaries if the house had an even number - or maybe it was an odd number, its so silly I can't remember which. The crooks know it and exploit it to the full.

Two weeks ago I had both my cab front door windows put through by someone probably hoping I had left my cash float, mobile or sat nav in it. Despite me indicating to the police that cd's etc had been moved from the glove comp to the seat - so the possibility of fingerprints was good - they would not come out unless there was blood on the windows.

I read in my local paper this week that cab drivers in my area should remove all valuables and signage if possible because cabbies have again become an easy target for thieves who do more damage that any property stolen is worth. Private Hire cab's can't remove signs because council decrees we must have non removable door logo's so its easy to spot us in case we have a bulb out which is a dangerous vehicle defect...

EDIT:I should add this is not a police knocking post - they have had budget cuts like most other govmnt departments.

Looking for other work lol.

Edited by Dave-G

Two weeks ago I had both my cab front door windows put through by someone probably hoping I had left my cash float, mobile or sat nav in it. Despite me indicating to the police that cd's etc had been moved from the glove comp to the seat - so the possibility of fingerprints was good - they would not come out unless there was blood on the windows.

Looking for other work lol.

LOL that would needs some clever detective work, you must be silly expecting them to actually catch anyone for that. You have a crime number :yes: thats about as much work that they will do on that case.

Its now closed Im afraid. :unhappy:

It's far from silly leaving your tools on site or in your van.

I have site insurance and you've normally got security. Our workshop was done 3 times in 5 years but the vans are left alone strangely as I park under my bedroom window with security lights and CCTV .

Our workshop is covered with CCTV and it rings our phones within seconds of entry , it takes 210 seconds for me to get there from phone call :)

I messaged teal on here about all second hand tool should list serial numbers as it would help prevent the sale. Just my idea