Rugby world cup

digger

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England have to come away very happy with the result. The targets at the start of the game would have been A, win B, score 4 tries and collect a bonus point. Job done. Plus the nerves, emotion & wonder of playing your first game is behind you.

All though it wasn't the greatest performance they must take heart from grinding out the correct result. Think of the grit in the Liverpool side of the 70's or how many last minute (Fergi time) Man Utd goals you have seen. A good side plays poorly but comes away with the correct outcome.

They will learn a lot from tonight and move on.

When are the referee`s going to start penalising the scrum half`s for feeding the ball into the 2nd row and let the hooker hook the ball (its in the name) rather than both sides trying to do an 8 man shove ??

As a neutral for last night I thought England could have done better all round but as has been said a win is a win and who knows they may need the bonus point

A good start but a little nervous. Fiji's kicking let them down - it could have been a lot closer. I didn't like all the TMO's - some, including Fiji's cancelled try, brought about by the big screen replays. I agree with Sir this should have been given and move on with the game. Ok when there was dangerous play check what happened but game lasted 90(?) minutes due to constant TMOs.

The TMO played into Fiji's hands. I don't mean in the decisions, but it broke the play up so much. England really struggled to get into their rhythm. I hope the officials learn from the unanimously negative press coverage of the system and use it more sparingly and thoughtfully. There were still some really blatant things that they missed even so!

That result will open the rest of the pool up. Well done Japan.

On paper both Scotland & SA should go through to the semis and SA was seeded to go through as pool winners well then anything can now happen now. to early to predict but even if Scotland lose against SA but win all there other games Scotland could go through as pool winners depending on bonus points and the other maths involved should there points be the same.

Its going to be a great 5 weeks for rugby.

Edited by big bad lindz