Girlfriend doesn't want the gun in the house - Advice please?

Mr_G

The only thing I have to ask is ...... Do you have knives in the kitchen?? Tell her the first thing people go for is kitchen knives

closely followed by garden tools

luv is like a pack of cards you start out with hearts & diamonds but after a while you wish you had a club and a spade. :lol:

Edited by Remimax

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From experience I find it starts with the odd moan, then the foot starts to go down. Changes are sought, there is no compromise unless it is in her favour! Nights out with the boys? Stamped out, Shooting? Banned! Visiting MY friends? Out of the question! My friends calk round! They are made to feel unwelcome! Take away? No chance! She wanted new clothes for herself instead! Sex isn't something to enjoy, its a tool in her arsenal to get you to do what SHE wants! Fail to follow orders, no sex for a month! All shooting material publications binned, Final straw was binning my fishing gear!

Since then I am up front from the off, tell them you shoot cute fluffy creatures, fish and come home smelling of such, but wash up well! like the occasional drink (I don't get drunk), Don't drive an Aston Martin, but a £1000 second hand hatchback, don't own my own home, losing my hair, I break wind and don't hold it in, and will NOT be forcibly changed!

Now IF its the right woman, and she quite clearly is into you, and accepts you as you are, then a brush up around the edges may go a long way to secure a happy future! But no core changes should be expected, nor made!

With Children, comes responsibility! Hiding guns from kids is silly, teach them to keep secrets? Not fir me! They should be kept locked up at all times, So should your guns.

If you don't see eye to eye, DON'T have kids, bringing them into an environment of you n her arguing is not conducive to their welfare.

Both partners should accept each other for who they are, support one another's activities, and not expect a change.

I am now in a new relationship. Ibam taking it slow. We both have kids, mine is 20, hers is 7. She knows I shoot, and is fine with that. She wants to go clay shooting in the future, and fishing with her son too. We are both enjoying each others company a lot. Unlike my last mistake (infatuation) this time I am just enjoying myself and taking my time. All the signs of a good relationship are there this time, but only fools rush in. There is talk about me moving in with HER, this is where all the negotiations start, if I can't keep my guns there, I walk. If I cant continue to do what I do now, I walk.

I am never going to let myself be ruled over by a woman again! It cost me too much, lost friends, hobbies, time and almost my sanity.

Sounds to me as if she needs some serious training . Send her to me for a couple of weeks and I will sort her out . When she comes back she will know how to clean guns and how to clean and cook wild game .

I have two members wives living in my garage and refuse to go,home .

Harnser

The only thing I have to ask is ...... Do you have knives in the kitchen?? Tell her the first thing people go for is kitchen knives

Knives aren't the same they can be dodged and they don't hold the same fear factor and it's not about reality it's about what weird things go through your thoughts - primal fears. Anyway Mr G will do what he considers best for his family and for the woman carrying his child.

From experience I find it starts with the odd moan, then the foot starts to go down. Changes are sought, there is no compromise unless it is in her favour! Nights out with the boys? Stamped out, Shooting? Banned! Visiting MY friends? Out of the question! My friends calk round! They are made to feel unwelcome! Take away? No chance! She wanted new clothes for herself instead! Sex isn't something to enjoy, its a tool in her arsenal to get you to do what SHE wants! Fail to follow orders, no sex for a month! All shooting material publications binned, Final straw was binning my fishing gear!

Since then I am up front from the off, tell them you shoot cute fluffy creatures, fish and come home smelling of such, but wash up well! like the occasional drink (I don't get drunk), Don't drive an Aston Martin, but a £1000 second hand hatchback, don't own my own home, losing my hair, I break wind and don't hold it in, and will NOT be forcibly changed!

Now IF its the right woman, and she quite clearly is into you, and accepts you as you are, then a brush up around the edges may go a long way to secure a happy future! But no core changes should be expected, nor made!

With Children, comes responsibility! Hiding guns from kids is silly, teach them to keep secrets? Not fir me! They should be kept locked up at all times, So should your guns.

If you don't see eye to eye, DON'T have kids, bringing them into an environment of you n her arguing is not conducive to their welfare.

Both partners should accept each other for who they are, support one another's activities, and not expect a change.

I am now in a new relationship. Ibam taking it slow. We both have kids, mine is 20, hers is 7. She knows I shoot, and is fine with that. She wants to go clay shooting in the future, and fishing with her son too. We are both enjoying each others company a lot. Unlike my last mistake (infatuation) this time I am just enjoying myself and taking my time. All the signs of a good relationship are there this time, but only fools rush in. There is talk about me moving in with HER, this is where all the negotiations start, if I can't keep my guns there, I walk. If I cant continue to do what I do now, I walk.

I am never going to let myself be ruled over by a woman again! It cost me too much, lost friends, hobbies, time and almost my sanity.

Spot on.

Sounds to me as if she needs some serious training . Send her to me for a couple of weeks and I will sort her out . When she comes back she will know how to clean guns and how to clean and cook wild game .

Harnser

😂 lol 😂

Did you marry my ex lol.

No sex for a month ??? Mine was 18 months no joke and at 29 years old at the time I was upset , depressed and starting to look else where.

Knives aren't the same they can be dodged and they don't hold the same fear factor and it's not about reality it's about what weird things go through your thoughts - primal fears. Anyway Mr G will do what he considers best for his family and for the woman carrying his child.

Nevertheless, kitchen knives kill more people in this country than any other 'weapon' and by a big margin. It's also worth pointing out, especially to parents of young children, that over the last 10 years, considerably more people have been killed by pet dogs than by legally held guns.

I am familiar with pregnancy (several times) and the hormonal effects, and whilst my wife was perhaps a little more emotional and prone to the occasional over reaction, I have no recollection of any irrational stuff or her brain ceasing to listen to reason. Well, not any more than usual... :lol:

I think the point is she already had a dislike for guns (and most of the non shooting community do) so changing her opinion will be harder when she is pregnant than most other times.

My wife was originally a little wary about having air rifles in the house, although strangely less so about shotguns, but she trusts me and it wasn't an issue, whereas if she was pregnant it could have been very different.

Not sorry to say - but get rid of the Girl Friend. You're not married, not committed, and no need to accommodate an unreasonable request. There're plenty of cows that give away free milk.

Caution: Always be aware of free milk, cause milk ain't free!!!

Being okay with your shooting, but not okay with a gun - in a safe - in the house, is typical Female logic.

Decide what's more important to you, your hobby - or her. If she's the best thing that ever happened to you. Then giving up shooting is no big deal. But, if you're the best thing that ever happened to her. Letting you keep a gun in the house - in a safe - should not be an issue.

What's greater??? Her love for you - or her unreasonable fear of guns???

If you do store your shotgun off site to keep her - it's the beginning of the end for your sport shooting activity.

Harnser

When mine has learnt to come to the whistle can you give us a call and i'll come and pick her up.

Not sorry to say - but get rid of the Girl Friend. You're not married, not committed, and no need to accommodate an unreasonable request. There're plenty of cows that give away free milk.

Caution: Always be aware of free milk, cause milk ain't free!!!

Being okay with your shooting, but not okay with a gun - in a safe - in the house, is typical Female logic.

Decide what's more important to you, your hobby - or her. If she's the best thing that ever happened to you. Then giving up shooting is no big deal. But, if you're the best thing that ever happened to her. Letting you keep a gun in the house - in a safe - should not be an issue.

What's greater??? Her love for you - or her unreasonable fear of guns???

If you do store your shotgun off site to keep her - it's the beginning of the end for your sport shooting activity.

If you are selfish and arrogant enough to put your hobby before your children and partner/wife then you are not morally fit to hold gun

After speaking to the firearms dept. today and quizzing them about whether I can keep the cabinet at my folks (who are happy happy with this arrangement) while it's me with the SGC, the lady seemed pretty convinced it's not possible. She was also quite surprised that other forces allow it.

However, she also didn't sound sure that she was right and so basically said go over it it with the FEO when he/she visits.

Edited by Mr_G

After speaking to the firearms dept. today and quizzing them about whether I can keep the cabinet at my folks (who are happy happy with this arrangement) while it's me with the SGC, the lady seemed pretty convinced it's not possible. She was also quite surprised that other forces allow it.

However, she also didn't sound sure that she was right and so basically said go over it it with the FEO when he/she visits.

The lady is wrong.

There is no reason you can't keep your gun/s (safely) at your parents house. (You can use my name and tell her I told you that).

I keep my guns at my parents house, it's no big deal for me and wasn't a big deal when I asked the FEO.

I just advised that my parents house is more secure and in a 'nicer' area, and that my place is rented and more urban.

The FEO asked my parents (who were milling around when he visited and checked my cabinet) and they said they were fine with it and that they would have no idea where the keys are etc... And we are all good.

That's Essex police by the way.

I might move my cabinet to mine some point but I'm in no rush. It certainly wasn't anything to do with my wife as she's very supportive of my shooting hobby.