Hornady blue tip 17hmr

I have had nothing but trouble with this amo in my experience I wouldn't advise anyone to buy this.I haven't had any problems with the Hornady red tip and the blue is cheaper to buy I think I know why the amount of bullit heads I have had to remove from my barrel is unreal is anyone else got the same problem?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes as have loads of others. I an seriously thinking of selling my Ruger 77/17 because of the quality of the ammo, and according to my visit there are more people leaning towards the 17 Hornet that the HMR. I have another 17 being built at the moment to fill the 17 slot, but just a tad faster than the HMR. :)

It doesn't matter what the tip colour is, to think that the 'tip' colour denotes quality is just plain wrong. All the ammo is made by CCI and I've had dodgy red tip, blue tip, gold tip, as well as good(ish) batches of the same with Hornady, CCI or Remington.... It's simply an inherent flaw in the process of manufacture.

You think HMR is bad, try HM2, it's utter garbage from what I can gather.

Edited by mick miller

Had two squib rounds and 4 hang fires in total out of about 300 blue tipped Hornady (Hornady rep swapped 100 blue for red) .No faults with over 700 red tipped used to date, apart from the odd split case after firing but not a problem then.

I find Hornady very accurate in my CZ 452 varmint.

It doesn't matter what the tip colour is, to think that the 'tip' colour denotes quality is just plain wrong. All the ammo is made by CCI and I've had dodgy red tip, blue tip, gold tip, as well as good(ish) batches of the same with Hornady, CCI or Remington.... It's simply an inherent flaw in the process of manufacture.

You think HMR is bad, try HM2, it's utter garbage from what I can gather.

From what you gather? Surely you should only comment if you have first hand experience? Mines fine

I've been using the Blue tips since they first hit our shores, they have been fine for me.

This HMR business goes round and round and round and round and......................

HMR ammo has issues, end of, using different makes or tip colours isn't going to change that!

CCI and Winchester are the only companies I am aware of at the moment that make HMR ammo (if you know another please tell me), so it doesn't matter whos name is on the box, they are made by CCI or Winchester!

Can we please pin something on HMR/ammo.

:good:

From what you gather? Surely you should only comment if you have first hand experience? Mines fine

Okay, does this look fine? http://prntscr.com/9yz9ke

Apparently one of at least 20 that have gone this way, along with other that have stuck up the barrel, just as with HMR. This time the chap was lucky not to lose an eye.

My red ones have been fine since I coloured them blue with a Sharpie...

I've been using the Blue tips since they first hit our shores, they have been fine for me.

This HMR business goes round and round and round and round and......................

HMR ammo has issues, end of, using different makes or tip colours isn't going to change that!

CCI and Winchester are the only companies I am aware of at the moment that make HMR ammo (if you know another please tell me), so it doesn't matter whos name is on the box, they are made by CCI or Winchester!

Can we please pin something on HMR/ammo.

could it be that they had a bad run at the same time they were using blue tip's hence why it seems blue's had most the problem's

just a thought

I don't think this is it.

The process is flawed and it's a lottery whether you're going to get a good batch or a bad batch. However, I used to worry about the split necks, now I don't bother. In all the thousands I've shot I've had a handful of retarded ignitions, where I've pulled the trigger and then it's gone off a second later, a couple of handfuls of fizzbangs, where the moderator appears to spit flame (might have been **** or unburnt stuff in the mod?) and one squib where it lodged up the barrel and I had to tap it out.

The fact that they have to cold form the tiny, thin walled brass is always going to cause split necks, then it's just a case of where it's been stored I guess? Damp conditions with split necks, probably not good?

could it be that they had a bad run at the same time they were using blue tip's hence why it seems blue's had most the problem's

just a thought

There are of course potentially batch issues with any ammo, that could be the case here. Another reason Blue may me at the front of peoples minds is because its VERY popular at the moment, so there is a lot about!!

A batch problem is without doubt unfortunate, to say the least, but people need to get over the idea that changing ammo will solve their problems.

HMR ammo has problems, changing brands may get you out of a batch problem, it will not solve HMR ammo issues!