Jury service

Davyo

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got called up and to be honest apart from the sitting around waiting to be picked for a jury and the pain in the **** constant ajournments found it a interesting experience,but i was also lucky as 12 got picked for murder trail expected to last 8 weeks ,thats a sentence on the old rear by any standards

Eight weeks!! It would be far far cheaper for me to opt out and fork out the £1000 if the going rates as posted by Winston 72 are correct.

I got called up but was in the Army at the time, handed the letter to my OC who wrote stating i was a serving Soldier and was not available,I never heard anything else.

If i was called up now i would do it,it's part of our democracy to be tried by 12 good men and true.

Yep, I have also had a look. It would seem even a criminal record doesn't get you out of it (up to a point) so it would seem my only option if called is to get pregnant! :yes:

I have also learned of two self employed 'sole traders' being excused, which I am, but it's not a guarantee.

Yep, I have also had a look. It would seem even a criminal record doesn't get you out of it (up to a point) so it would seem my only option if called is to get pregnant! :yes:

I have also learned of two self employed 'sole traders' being excused, which I am, but it's not a guarantee.

Could join the police they don't get called up

If everyone who didn't feel like serving got out of it, who would be dispensing the justice? It is the country we live in.

Enough people bleat about others coming to the country and not observing the law, but merrily say, if called, they might give a "not guilty" verdict. How would such people feel if a Police Force said they didn't like dealing with SGC applications, so they turned them all down.

Hypocrisy of a high order.

The amount for loss of earnings is pitched at a fairly low level, but it's the price of democracy.

Hawkeye - from memory - they are drawn from the Register of Electors, so they would not have known. Sorry if it caused you distress - in an ideal world, it wouldn't have happened.

Gordon R at the time it was a bit upsetting but as time went on it got quite funny, anyway Joan had a wicked sense of humour ( must of had to be married to me for 31 years ) she would have had a right good laugh...

Edited by hawkeye

The Merchant Navy used to be exempt from jury service.

A few years ago I was called for service. I phone and explained that I'd be away at sea at the time and was excused.

I then asked what would have happened had I been away when the letter arrived and unable to i) answer the letter and ii) attend the court. I was informed that in that case I'd have been fined.

And they wonder that we lose all respect for them?

It has been said that juries are largely made up of 12 people too stupid to avoid jury service. Would you want to be judged by one such?

It has been said that juries are largely made up of 12 people too stupid to avoid jury service. Would you want to be judged by one such?

I think that the person who made the original quote is just as stupid as the jurors he / she refers to.

I hear people moaning about doing jury service, but little about what they would do if everyone took the same view. What is their alternative plan?

I think that the person who made the original quote is just as stupid as the jurors he / she refers to.

I hear people moaning about doing jury service, but little about what they would do if everyone took the same view. What is their alternative plan?

Agreed it's a duty but why should a self employed person or an employer suffer severe financial loss in order to do their duty?

I'm sorry, but the figures quoted previously wouldn't compensate me for 1 lost hour, let alone a day! As such my concentration span would be about the same. It's just that I'd automatically find the accused guilty, just to balance things up.

Agreed it's a duty but why should a self employed person or an employer suffer severe financial loss in order to do their duty?

I'm sorry, but the figures quoted previously wouldn't compensate me for 1 lost hour, let alone a day! As such my concentration span would be about the same. It's just that I'd automatically find the accused guilty, just to balance things up.

:) You're a very naughty man, but it made me chuckle.

Yes, Gordon is spot on, it sounds like this idiot just can't be bothered, as he's given no reason..?

Cat.

Work as self employed is precarious enough, having to disappear for an unknown amount of time could be a financial disaster.

I would imagine that if you got fined for failing to attend, it would affect your SGC and so it should.

Can you please elaborate on how failing to attend jury service should affect your licence. It's got absolutely nothing to do with if someone should/should not partake in jury service. If you chose not to, and pay the fine, is that not part of living in a democratic society. Everyone has a choice.

I feel it's another attempt at trolling at best or at worst pure stupidity on your part. No jury service = licence revoked. ******* stupid comment. !!