Doctors Letters - Rip Off Charge

NickP

Renewing my Shotgun Licence and due to disclosing I have been suffering from Anxiety and seen my doctor who prescribed medication

They asked to have a letter from my doctors, so a few days later I received a envelope to give to my doctor, handed this to them on Monday and was told that there would be a £20 charge, fair enough, today I receive a invoice as filling in forms is not covered by the NHS and £20 is now £72

What are they writing it on silk with gold ink 😡

What annoys me more is I called in today and was told that it would be next week and they confirmed it was £20, even though this letter was sent out 4 days ago and she was looking on the computer to see if anything had happen

Do the FAO need this letter/ form as this is clearly a rip off charge or is there a way to request it differently so as they can use normal paper and provide the info?

Either way I will be calling the FA Dept Monday to see if they can see a way round this as he said whatever the doctor said he couldn't see it been revoked

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you merely needed to give consent for your GP to be approached for factual details. Any actual approach is the job of the firearms department of your force/constabulary. If there is a fee they should foot it. You have covered all expenses that you are required to pay in your application fee.

Edited by LeadWasp

In the late 80s into the early 2000s I used to be the passenger on race sidecar outfits............GP medicals cost me £50 regularly..

Luckily the insurance company is paying for the latest £225........

Edited by OffAim

I thought you merely needed to give consent for your GP to be approached for factual details. Any actual approach is the job of the firearms department of your force/constabulary. If there is a fee they should foot it. You have covered all expenses that you are required to pay in your application fee.

That is correct.

Whilst I agree that the issuing authority should pay for any Doctors letter they deem necessary due to admissions on your part.

Surely the problem arises that if you refuse to approach your Doctor and pay for the letter, they can then refuse to issue the renewal.

Consequently you potentially loose your guns due to refusing to pay for a letter from your Doctor.

Not really a win/win situation for the applicant.

Surely the problem arises that if you refuse to approach your Doctor and pay for the letter, they can then refuse to issue the renewal.

Consequently you potentially loose your guns due to refusing to pay for a letter from your Doctor.

Not really a win/win situation for the applicant.

I agree, I'm in a tight situation, and will have to pay for them even at the rip off price. Just annoying as this is just covering the FA Dept backsides as he has said it shouldn't make any difference whatever they send back to them.

Basically £72 for a paper trail which won't have any effect on my renew

And what are the orgs doing about this? >>>>> Silence >>>>>

Fortune normally I disagree with your organisation bash but on this you seem correct.

As LW said its the polices job to do this they are just passing it on to the individual as they want their license and are often feed up with delays so go out and pay again. .

Edited by welshwarrior

Typical of doctors and dentists, they absolutely rip us and the government off, then claim that they are so unfairly treated and they work so hard. (Don't we all)

I have never seen a doctor or dentist that does not drive a £70k + car and live in a house costing over half a mil.

Edited by sle

Typical of doctors and dentists, they absolutely rip us and the government off, then claim that they are so unfairly treated and they work so hard. (Don't we all)

I have never seen a doctor or dentist that does not drive a £70k + car and live in a house costing over half a mil.

Not sure I would want my life in the hands of a doctor who was only worth minimum wage....

NickP have u contacted ur relevant org??

I think it will be sightly different to a normal renewal as u have stated u have had anexity?sp so mibee wanting a more detailed letter than normal.

I'd defo have a word with ur org first and see wot they say about it.

Possibly bit premature for slating org's if they've not been informed?

That is correct.

Actually it's not :(

One of the recent changes to the HO guidance was to re-word the part where it specified that the police should pay, it now (very unhelpfully) doesn't say who should pay so some forces are using this to make applicants bear the cost if a full medical report is required.

When I applied for my section 1 and 2 I had to get a detailed letter from my GP due to health issues, Staffs police told me any and all costs where my responsibility. I have a very good patient Doctor relationship so he didn't charge me even though the notice in reception says any GP letters cost £75. I explained what I needed and shown him my paperwork I then asked if he was in a good mood and could I have any discount, his response was usual for my GP ' Jason your a cheeky **** ' but it worked. Moral of my wittering's if you don't ask you will never know.

ATB Bear.

My old GP wanted £120 to just sign my flying medical form . I provided all the paperwork , He just had to sign his name :hmm:

Luckily I knew a Aviation doctor who would do it for "mates rates" £80 including a full medical and ECG

£20 for my FAC ,2years ago and the thing had to be chased for 5 days ,the old come back tomorrow and itl be done mularky .After 5 days i was getting peeved ,but its still listed as £20 on the charges board 2 years later so musnt grumble sounds like some people are getting the full beans rip off from their doctor

There was a time I would have suggested contacting your shooting organisation, but that's a waste of time unfortunately.

If you have declared medical history deemed to warrant further explanation and signed the application, then you have given authority for the police to contact your GP. This always incurs a cost, which used to be met by the licensing authority. Many ( but not all ) forces are now insisting that cost be met by the applicant.

There are ( or was ) talks ongoing between the relevant authorities, including the BMA, regarding as to whether GP's should be involved in the process, and if so, as to what level, but I'm unaware of how those discussions are proceeding and shooting organisations appear reluctant to shed light on them.

Being one of those who has to declare further details of medical history, ( 'anxiety attacks over 20 years ago, none medicated, and no reoccurrence') my licensing authority contacts my medical practice ( I have as yet never been asked to do so, nor been charged by either my GP or licensing authority ) where I'm assuming one of several GP's ( most of whom have never met me ) simply consults my medical history and informs licensing what is typed there.

Licensing authorities, namely the police, are pushing for compulsory GP's reports at the expense of the applicant, regardless of that applicants medical history, and there is nothing we can, nor will do about it.

I could accept the cost ( even though I'm aware it is yet just another obstacle in the supply chain of new blood to shooting ) if we got a good service, but sadly there is nothing we can do, nor will do, to sort that either.

Meanwhile, pay your sub's and grin and bear it. :yes: