Cutting wood/logs method.

harrycatcat1

I was just wondering how folk cut their lengths of wood into logs to fit on the log burner?

Do you use a "horse" to hold it or "work bench" or whatever method.

The reason that I ask is that I have a fair few lengths of 6" diameter branches about 6' to 8' long to cut with the chainsaw and I have used the garden bench before but I was asking to see if there was a better/safer way?

Hcc

If I'm left with bits like that I chain them tightly to a workbench in bundles and cut, and them shift them along and cut again. At least that way they cant shift or twist during the cut.

Whatever you do, dont be tempted to cut corners, no pun intended, and do things like stack and cut, or put a foot on them etc etc.

I built a platform of a sleeper about waist high off two piers, fixed timber uprights at staggered centres and then drop the cord wood into it, secure in place with a ratchet strap.

Tried the saw horse and it's a pain in the ****, logs move, you nick the chain etc

I'm fortunate in having a tractor driven hydraulic feed logging bench to cut my logs, but occasionally I have to cut some small awkward pieces and I have a folding metal bench which the chain saw bolts on to, with a safety shield. Has a length stop as well.

Punch in log sawing bench on google and am sure one or two versions will come up. Not cheap but will last a lifetime and make cutting logs easy and as safe as you can be with a chain saw.

I am fortunate in having a tractor driven hydraulic feed saw bench but have a look at the SIP Chainsaw log horse. There are a number of companies selling the same tool. I have one and when I have a few awkward logs I use that. Simple safe way to produce neat logs for the fire.

Don't know what happened there. The first attempt did not register and then when I re did it , both came up. Hmmm!!

Edited by Walker570

I originally welded up something similar to the above and put a set of wheels on it, quite handy for moving long branches and brash about but was a pain to cut logs in.

Ended up making a very narrow middle part that supports the logs and ratchet strap them down with big wide legs, can put a few quad trailers worth of timber in it at a time.

Can cut a lot of logs in no time

To avoid to much manual handling from lifting the logs from the pile that were dropped off from the loader I usually just cut them in place. I can get through a good few logs within an hour or so of cutting. When they get to small to stay when cutting in place but easer to shift I then use a saw horse and I always use full PPE although this wont stop accidents from happening I am always very aware of my footing & body placement.

Depending on its actual size but looking from photo u might have a problem with how far apart the supports are.

U'll end up with a full load of logs that really ideally could be done with cut in half.

I would mibee try to move them closer together (or weld a 3rd support to put in the middle/slightly offset) so u can cut ur full load to the right size, as those short logs that need halfed generally are the worst to cut and most dodgy as will easyily move

I have always found that if cutting numerous logs at once it's too easy for the chain to jump or pick up a loose log and flip it.

I always stick to one at a time.

Ur quite right it can be dodgy and bad for kick backs or snapping chains, just got to be vey careful.

If ur bar is longer than ur pile so sticking out the far side it should be safer for kickbacks.

Must admit i find the pile moves as u cut throu it and logs get shorter so u have to keep tightening the ratchets to keep pile steady.

I'm fortunate in having a tractor driven hydraulic feed logging bench to cut my logs, but occasionally I have to cut some small awkward pieces and I have a folding metal bench which the chain saw bolts on to, with a safety shield. Has a length stop as well.

Punch in log sawing bench on google and am sure one or two versions will come up. Not cheap but will last a lifetime and make cutting logs easy and as safe as you can be with a chain saw.

We have one of these too. Very useful

Depending on its actual size but looking from photo u might have a problem with how far apart the supports are.

U'll end up with a full load of logs that really ideally could be done with cut in half.

I would mibee try to move them closer together (or weld a 3rd support to put in the middle/slightly offset) so u can cut ur full load to the right size, as those short logs that need halfed generally are the worst to cut and most dodgy as will easyily move

It's why I bought the version with 4 supports (only £5 more!). I can space them how I want. Like the idea of putting wheels on the end too

It's why I bought the version with 4 supports (only £5 more!). I can space them how I want. Like the idea of putting wheels on the end too

I did look at the four support one but it was a tenner more and its bigger so more storage issues and you also had to make the wooden bar bit at the bottom as it wasnt supplied with the four post but supplied with the two post.

Its ordered now so no turning back, it'l be rate.

I've got one of them too. Only because the previous owner left it here. They really work well. :good: