Yosemite Valley Bear encounter and Hiking pictures

OJW

I've just been out in America with two friends and we camped in Yosemite Valley National Park for a number of nights spending our days hiking up mountains and through the forest.

We are all young and fit and preferred to push the boundaries slightly in terms of going off the beaten track and not really worrying about whether it would get dark or not on the more well trodden popular trails. It was one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been.

It's much slower covering distances uphill especially when carrying over a gallon of water in each of our rucksacks. We would hike for over an hour and then check the distance we had covered and see it was only a couple of miles which on normal ground we could run in around 15minutes.

One day we drove 26miles up a mountain to the starting point of a trail that led right to the top, I could feel my ears popping and the air felt noticeably thiner, although maybe that was my imagination. We parked on the side of the road and began our hike from that point up the mountain.

After a while we realised we might be slightly lost and needed to reorientate ourselves, as the maps and compasses came out I was walking ahead of the other two. I rounded a corner on the mountain track and walked straight into the path of a black bear a matter of meters in front. People have asked me how big it was, needless to say, it was bigger than me! It stood up and looked at me. I froze and swore saying to my friends behind me, "**** theres a bear". Of course they thought I was joking and immediately ran around the bend up to my shoulder to see, upon seeing it one guy also froze as well and the other turned on his heal and was gone in what I can only describe as a loosely controlled power walk. In these situations you are told not to run, to make yourself as big as possible and make a lot of noise. As the bear wasn't charging we just backed away slowly raising our voices talking to each other. It was one of the most amazing feelings being in the wild with one, a bit like seeing a great white outside of a cage but less dangerous / scary.

It got me thinking, what do you think you would do compared to what you would actually do? I imagined what I would do if I did come across a bear when we first got to Yosemite, and the reaction I pictured was much more jovial, maybe making a joke about honey or porridge, than the real natural one I actually had. I'm glad I didn't have the "flight" reaction that one of the other guys did, but stopped and properly assessed the situation. I don't think bear attacks are very common but there are warning signs everywhere. In any case, the adrenalin kick and feeling of being surprised by one totally in the wilderness without any safety barrier or anything was immense and one I will not forget. I wish I had got a photo, something else that prior to the encounter I imagined I would do, but in the situation, the last thing on my mind was taking my camera out for a picture! However, here are some other pictures I took on our hikes.

BB46F4D8-4051-465A-9EC7-7AC942B10A15_zps

2AB5C0E4-869F-486C-82B1-14847BC2FB76_zps

1C1C37FB-E519-4829-A467-D37AA1CEFD8C_zps

URL]

D1550155-19F3-460B-92B4-9866A13E0029_zps

811A43F4-59E7-4B4B-983E-5256C00F685C_zps

D1550155-19F3-460B-92B4-9866A13E0029_zps

7AE30838-2B19-485D-8A92-392AE15F49DB_zps

34A5662F-42AC-4E6D-88D7-1B9C93B52B38_zps

8D67EE9A-64B6-4BFD-8610-5F63957601D7_zps

Edited by OJW

Blimey, you must have given up the fags to get up there.

Great pictures.

Haha unfortunately not.. however the risk of wild fire is so high that being seen having a cigaret out there would be akin to being caught weeing in a public pool or something, legal but very frowned upon! A big no no and nicotine intake fell as a result. Rest assured that giving up is now my top priority. When we drove up the pacific coast we drove through a massive wild fire in Big Sur (another national park area) that was burning over 60,000 hectors. We were not allowed to stop and every camp site and road side store was closed.

Stunning, thought about something like this with the kids. Are there plenty of well used paths and camping stops?

Yes, there are loads of places to camp and well used trails with lots of people on. Some camp sites you can book in advance, some you have to turn up and risk it. During the week there isn't such a big issue but over weekends it can be very difficult to find anything. You can rent a pitch for as little as $26 and then there are also cabins and things. in August it was very busy.

Edited by OJW

I am still to this day annoyed that when I visited Yosemite we did not spend more time. We arrived when it was dark and left early the next afternoon. Unfortunately most of the people I was there with were just interested in getting drunk in as many different place as possible and couldn't wait to get back to a built up area with more selection of pubs.

Yosemite was one of the places me and the wife visited on our Honeymoon. I absolutely loved the place and we spent a morning trail riding on horses where we didn't see any bear only their foot prints. We did though see deer and Coyote which was cool. I wouldn't hesitate to return and would love to spend more time in the US, I enjoyed everything about our time there the people were great, the only moan was about the Mexican/Hispanic`s in Vegas as they were a rude and a pest all thinking they were some famous rapper / gangster.

Cant wait to return and fingers crossed we will be visiting the south / Texas next year !

ATB

Matt :good:

Ollie, stunning pictures and a cracking report, I could smell the adrenaline. Well done.

I don't think it was adrenaline.

I have been doing some pondering about OJW's post. I mean, what are the chances of our own little Oliver going to Yosemite and being confronted by a bear? Slim I would think.

No my view is that it has been so long since OJW saw a naked lady that he mistook an indigenous Ahwahnechee Indian squaw who was simply doing her ablutions in a stream, for a bear.

Simples.

Edited by JDog

Now that's my kind of holiday!

Did you sort it online first or just get into it when out there ?

We just turned up and winged it, you can book in advance though and if you go I would recommend it as it get very busy in August and especially over the weekends.

Stunning photos, looks like you had a great trip.

Out of interest, what gear were you using and were you camping 'rough' or in the official sites?

They are official camp sites, some let you have a fire in a fire pit and BBQ and some don't so make sure you research the rules before you go as a fire is a must in my opinion. We didn't use any special gear to hike or camp to be honest. We bought / rented camping equipment as cheaply as possible as we went there as part of a 1 month road trip.

I don't think it was adrenaline.

I have been doing some pondering about OJW's post. I mean, what are the chances of our own little Oliver going to Yosemite and being confronted by a bear? Slim I would think.

No my view is that it has been so long since OJW saw a naked lady that he mistook an indigenous Ahwahnechee Indian squaw who was simply doing her ablutions in a stream, for a bear.

Simples.

Haha thanks! Alas, while in Vegas before we went to Yosemite we must have also got lost, because we ended up in Safires "restaurant" or at least that is what my friends bank statement calls it, luckily for him.. Lets just say in Safires the only things being served were strippers. It was a vast establishment and I wouldn't be surprised if they had an Ahwahnechee Indian Squaw if thats what tickles ones pickle. Another near miss for me, I was sober enough not to get conned into it but the other two left having spent far more than they could afford!

Thank you everyone for your compliments on the photos and speculation on the smell of adrenalin!

Edited by OJW

Stunning pics , looks a fantastic landscape to explore.

I was sent this pic from a friend in the Yukon , from his mates cabin.

post-65772-0-37695800-1472847309_thumb.jpeg

I just read a book called the mark of the grizzly about all the grizzly attacks in the national parks from survivors , eye witnesses and investigators . Awesome . Despite the horrendous experiences most survivors and families of victims didn't want the Bears responsible Killed.

That's a really nice write up and the photos make we want to book it now. Just love the sound of the place.

You would have got MASSIVE man points if you did get a photo but you might also have been getting a Darwin Award as well.

You don't have to be the fastest (or slowest runner), just make sure you trip someone up first and shout "eat him, eat him....."

Brilliant mate.

I've been as close as you have to brown and black bear in BC CANADA, and have been stalked by timber wolf

My guide had a SWM 50 cal hand gun, luckily he didn't have to use it.

Well done on getting out into the real wilderness.

You will never ever forget the experience

Flynny