A question of etiquette.

Wb123

I have my first permission, the bit that troubles me is the request to eradicate pheasants from the land.

No pheasants are released on the permission, so presumably they will be the fruit of someone's labour nearby. If i shoot them, tasty as they may be, it will just create a vacuum drawing more away from their intended ground.

Do i set to it and blast away to keep the freezer full, shoot the odd one for the land owner to enjoy, or turn into an even more terrible shot whenever one presents itself? I am leaning toward the second option.

Edited by Wb123

I would think the guy whose birds they were will have expected to lose some to migration and given your permission granter wants them gone then gone they will have to be (to the best of your ability :whistling: ).

If you don't the farmer will get someone who will do it, If you work it right you could have an on going pheasant shoot in a small way.

I would still have a word with the original owner, if you know who it is, tell him the score, if he is ok about it then offer him a choice of birds. However don't show him too many if you have a bang off and be prepared for accusations of baiting the birds onto your farmers land.

Big question is are there any legal ramifications ?? there will be other members more aware and advise you accordingly. Think I've seen something similar on here before.... long time ago.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

Once released, if a pheasant wanders across onto another persons land they are 'wild' birds. The original releaser does not own them. Having said that you can cause untold bad feelings within your local shooting community if you are seen to be 'taking advantage'. Shoot as many as you have the opportunity to but personally if I was in your position I would not make a point of running my dog down the boundary hedges/woods. Use your common sense and the land owner will be happy and you will have a nice bit of sport. I had a situation I heard of near me where a young man was out for a walk round with his gun, pheasant season open, and on his own ground which his father farmed. A cock bird got up and he shot it, only for a member of the adjacent syndicate to come storming across... actually trespassing ... and harangued him for shooting one of their birds. Fortunately he got told quietly to return to his own property as the cock pheasant was 'wild' and in season and on his farm. Tempers did not flare further. Whatever if you are doing your owners wishes and get harangued in a similar way, unload your gun and walk. Don't even exchange words. Inform your land owner of the incident. Heh! Have fun :-)

Reason i think he wants them killed off is same or soimilar reason i was told to do the same in the early 80s on a farm, the estate next door was releasing birds spilling over on to the farm not the birds doing damage as such but the fact the beaters and their dogs were coming onto the land without permission flushing them out of brasicas etc did some damage.

Farmer went round tried to explain and was verbaly abused so after that, he wanted them killed, his son has the place now i dont go often but still can they get on great with the shoot now it changed hands in the mid 90s.

Goes to show it can often be personality that causes unessasary issues, Politeness costs nothing at the end of the day but some people just dont know how to coinduct themselves properly.

I dare say if we all shot only at pheasants that were the direct fruits of our own labours ;) that many a barrel wouldn't need a clean more than once in a blue moon.

I have been asked to snipe pheasants on country lawns being defecated on by next doors shoots birds, much fun was had by friend and I and can't say etiquette crossed our minds.

It's becoming all too frequent with the growth of syndicate numbers for some (through bad management or lack of judgement) to be releasing too many birds for their land, or having pens too close to boundaries, and the result can indeed become a nuisance to neighbouring farms. Birds will congregate where easy food is, and when in large numbers, it's not something I'd want to put up with if I was a neighbouring landowner and had issues with birds fouling feed and water troughs etc. Add to that incursions by beaters and dogs coming over to retrieve birds which are shot but land on neighbouring land, and the overall nuisance for a season can become intolerable depending on circumstances (not to mention the noise nuisance of say two shoots per week). In such cases, I'd say shoot away if that's what the landowner has requested, as if you don't he'll only have someone else do it. I wouldn't make a habit of doing it in plain sight of the neighbouring shoot to avoid bad feelings, as such situations can all too easily escalate. In your case, the landowner has used the term "eradicate", so its plain that he has had issues in the past and I don't blame him for wanting rid if that is the case.

If I wasn't a keen game shot I would exterminate every last one of the filthy, disease spreading (salmonella), ground scratching, grass eating, bank destroying verminous creatures on my land.

They cause untold amounts of damage, I even cover hedge banks with chicken wire to protect them from the erosion pheasans' cause and don't get me started on the loss of grazing due to their voracious appetite for greenstuff which makes up 60% of their diet.

If I wasn't a keen game shot I would exterminate every last one of the filthy, disease spreading (salmonella), ground scratching, grass eating, bank destroying verminous creatures on my land.

They cause untold amounts of damage, I even cover hedge banks with chicken wire to protect them from the erosion pheasans' cause and don't get me started on the loss of grazing due to their voracious appetite for greenstuff which makes up 60% of their diet.

Quite tasty though.

Just be sure that the Farmer has the right to give you permission to shoot the Game. On a local Estate to here, many Tenant Farmers have bought land from the Estate, BUT the Estate ALWAYS retain the shooting rights. It may just avoid you falling foul of the Game Laws (pun intended).

A pheasant is considered wild once it is released and cease to legally belong to the shoot that released them .

loosing birds to adjoining land, road kills or vermin are issues that effect every shoot although if it occurs in large numbers it indicates poor management either not enough dogging in or pens to close to the boundary.

if they are on or over your permission owners land the right to take them( subject to season) belongs to him (assuming he hasn't sold that right or aquired the land without the shooting rights.

If your farmer wants them eradicated i would do it -He will soon replace you with someone that will if you don't.- remember you there because you are are providing him with a pest control service!

If it makes for a bag worth taking to a game dealer I would get the farmer a nice bottle of scotch as a thankyou !

I think Mr T you should stop beating around the Bush and tell it how it really is.

A question , Is there a shoot next to or near the farm land you have the permission on ?

If so why dont you approach the keeper tell them what the farm owner wants and suggest that you could try and dog some back over the boundary when you are out and if he is not bothered then you have a nice little rough shoot you never know he may even ask you to a shoot or the keepers day, could be a win win situation

A question , Is there a shoot next to or near the farm land you have the permission on ?

If so why dont you approach the keeper tell them what the farm owner wants and suggest that you could try and dog some back over the boundary when you are out and if he is not bothered then you have a nice little rough shoot you never know he may even ask you to a shoot or the keepers day, could be a win win situation

Why would you want or need an invite to a keepers shoot day with so many birds already on your own permission? Doesn't make sense. Also, that runs the risk of annoying the farmer (if he finds out), who will probably tell you to look elsewhere for your sport.

I think that playing with a straight bat and being honest with the guy on whose land you shoot is the decent thing to do.