Smelly washing machine

NickS

Clean the soap drawer, bio degradable detergent is basically food for all types of bacteria now days, clean the draw and rod out the back of the tray holder with a flexible brush, be prepared to be disgusted...

Too right, if left a while the build up of black gunge, akin to mildew is pretty awful. The low temperature washes don't help either.

I run an empty (of laundry) cycle now & then, with the proprietary products intended to clean and descale a machine, but the above advice is spot on in addition.

They do say that a lot of this problem is down to the modern fashion for washing at low temps 40c I always leave the door open I find the same thing with my dish washer as it does not get used that much I always leave the door unlatched so that the air can get in it works for me.

Having said that some years ago I was given a s/h washing machine it worked a treat but when left for a day or two it smelt bloody terrible I tried everything but nothing worked so in the end I got rid of it and got a new one.

Thanks for all the suggestions - both helpful and PW standard! The drum, detergent drawer and seals are clean and I have got hold of some pretty heavy-duty washing machine cleaning powder so will try that on a very hot wash. Leaving the door open is a PITA as it is built in with a unit door that covers it. I never have been a fan of built-in appliances since they cost a lot more to buy and a pain when they go wrong.

Thanks for all the suggestions - both helpful and PW standard! The drum, detergent drawer and seals are clean and I have got hold of some pretty heavy-duty washing machine cleaning powder so will try that on a very hot wash. Leaving the door open is a PITA as it is built in with a unit door that covers it. I never have been a fan of built-in appliances since they cost a lot more to buy and a pain when they go wrong.

When my sister had her kitchen designed, I asked the designer to fashion a unit with removable plinth, to allow her to use a standard washer! The plinth can be removed, to draw the washer forward, incase of repair, replacement! I did the same for my fridge!