Andy Murray

Adge Cutler

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah you see that's a different question. I asked you to prove that he's not matured - but just tried to appear more mature for the sponsors. You've answered 'why is he playing tennis?'

You a politician, by any chance? :innocent:

Oh no, I'm far too direct to be a politician so lets leave it there shall we

Sad comment. Fair enough that you don't support the guy, but to dismiss his achievement is churlish at best.

Fantastic result achieved with a mixture of natural talent and absolute dedication.

Agreed.

Incidentally my Serbian mate has just told me we can no longer talk and be friends. There's national mourning in Serbia now. :lol:

I would be a liar to say I am a fan of Murray - dour, boring individual - but he excelled himself. He beat an all time great, neither injured - both in good form. He did superbly and silenced a few critics, including me. I didn't think he would win - happy to be wrong.

Very gracious Gordon 👍🏻

Some bitter comments on here,

Whether a tennis fan or not he done well,

His fitness levels are immense, to play like he did for as long as he did showed a lot of commitment,

I don't think he is bothered what some folk on PW think of him,

He has finished his season as world number 1 as has his brother and that's what they both wanted.

British/Scottish..... Our little Island is once again the winner.

Well done Andy & Jamie

:shaun:

I would be a liar to say I am a fan of Murray - dour, boring individual - but he excelled himself. He beat an all time great, neither injured - both in good form. He did superbly and silenced a few critics, including me. I didn't think he would win - happy to be wrong.

Very noble of you Gordon...well said.

His fitness levels are immense, to play like he did for as long as he did showed a lot of commitment,

He has finished his season as world number 1 as has his brother and that's what they both wanted.

Well done Andy & Jamie

No fitter sportsmen and women out there IMO...puts most other sportspersons in the shade.

I think a lot of non tennis fan Brits underestimate the scale of this achievement on a Global scale.

Still each to his own.

It has been pointed out that his number one ranking wasn't as a result of directly beating Djokovic, but by beating other lesser players.

Murray nailed that one. He beat the best of the best, demonstrating that by any measure he is currently and justifiably the best in the World.

Edited by Gordon R

am i just cynical but i honestly believe no sportsmen should be knighted after all they.re in it for themselves and what they earn out of it, no one else,

Hmmm, perhaps a touch too cynical, but I take your point. It's worth bearing in mind that many national tournaments for varying sports, the players don't get paid for doing it. England footballers get paid pittance in comparison to club (£1500 for a win in the 2016 Euros), so the idea is that they're playing for pride, which MIGHT say something about how badly quality players play when playing for England. Also, for Murray, a full Davis Cup run seriously gets in the way for his normal season and I don't think he gets paid - certainly not to the extent of winning the tournaments he would have otherwise played, so he had to make a lot of sacrifices, both in potential earnings and in fatigue for later tournaments, to do a full Cup run. Having said that, people should have to dedicate their life to something and not just make it personal achievements.

Personally, I don't think a current sporting star should get one. When Murray retires, if he goes on to coach new talent, coach the Davis cup team, expands tennis in all age groups and abilities on top of a hugely successful career, then fair play. What I would say is that there is no one more deserving of a knighthood for sport than Murray. Personally, I think it's time to completely rethink the honours system, maybe bring in a whole raft of new honours specifically for sporting achievement - then give Murray the highest of them!

Well done Andy & Jamie

100% agree