Christmas Markets

station

Just got back from a few days over in Lincoln and thoroughly enjoyed their Christmas Market.

I've worked over there quite frequently over the years but never been at this time and not with my wife.

The layout, organisation and stall holders iwas great - bar the traffic but we went over Thursday night till Sunday PM.

Where else is good for these?

Our local one is Chester but it's absolute pants with just a handful of stalls.

Do you guys like or avoid?

All the best.

Manchester - expands by another market every year. Went with friends. Over-priced junk food and tatty goods, at inflated prices. Give it a miss.

Clitheroe, quite small, but better than others.

Hoghton Towers - charging £4 entry. It isn't the cost, it's the principle - didn't pay it.

Preston - went today - cancelled - although I swear it was still being advertised last night.

Sheffield - never again.

Last decent one we attended was at York.

One in Bristol is a bit naff, those cheap fatty 'german' sausages and over priced beer, then a few posh looking stands selling loads of stuff that's not much use.

If your hungry you can pay £6 for a bratwurst or a hot pork roll with with slither of pork in it! Better off being a scrooge and staying at home.

What's the attraction of these Christmas markets ? Never been to one, I'm assuming that there's loads of mince pies, Christmas cake and stuff.

Birmingham German market

Beer, German sausage, muffins , cake , sweets, chocolate.

Brum takes over an hour to walk around and the produce is awesome.

The bad points are the idiots that have drank to much and after a fight.

I can't be bothered with brum again after seeing a load of blokes cheering two women fighting.

Agree mostly with what's being said in your replies.

Been to a proper German one in Düsseldorf whilst staying with friends and that was something else !

My experience of other English ones has been poor, even Birmingham was full of tat at silly prices.

Got to admit though that decent Bratwurst with good beer to wash it down from 10am for a couple of days was great.

They had some local breweries thankfully as I don't mind the odd lager but I'm a real ale man - darker the better

Stayed opposite the cathedral (booked back in February) so once parked everything was in crawling distance

Thanks.

Birmingham German market

Beer, German sausage, muffins , cake , sweets, chocolate.

Brum takes over an hour to walk around and the produce is awesome.

The bad points are the idiots that have drank to much and after a fight.

I can't be bothered with brum again after seeing a load of blokes cheering two women fighting.

I'll stick to the co-op then, doesn't really sound that exiting.

What's the attraction of these Christmas markets ? Never been to one, I'm assuming that there's loads of mince pies, Christmas cake and stuff.

The Manchester one is getting very large.As I used to work there I've seen it grow from being something to have a pleasant stroll around have a snack, get some stollen etc and buy something different to hang on the tree or wall to being one big bar on wheels where office parties and the antics of the intoxicated rule.

Last year we left after an hour due not being able to look at the stalls due to being constantly barged into by people losing their self awareness.

Vienna is tbe best one I've visted.

Given the opportunity you often can't beat the real thing. Currently in Dortmund - Easyjet from Luton ( Dortmund 4 Bayern Munich 1 great game) Street after street of stalls, music, beer, sausages, etc. and very friendly people who happily accommodate our lack of the German language. Have also done Berlin from Bristol and Cologne from Gatwick both have at least four markets.

Closer to home ( Bristol) Bath has a great market with good reviews.

Given the opportunity you often can't beat the real thing. Currently in Dortmund - Easyjet from Luton ( Dortmund 4 Bayern Munich 1 great game) Street after street of stalls, music, beer, sausages, etc. and very friendly people who happily accommodate our lack of the German language. Have also done Berlin from Bristol and Cologne from Gatwick both have at least four markets.

Closer to home ( Bristol) Bath has a great market with good reviews.

The markets in Germany are great fun, lovely atmosphere, food etc. We used to drive every year. The only thing you won't find is a bargain, they are generally very expensive.