I will never take anyone out again

steve w

I bet everyone who has commented on my post, don't pay rent / a fee for shooting their land.

Farmers don't buy farms in the hope that a person may get a little shooting out of it. Also, we've only heard one side of the story, In this case there is 3.

i bet everyone who has commented on your post, don't get paid for the pest control they do for the farmer! or probably the small jobs they help the farmer out with! Or the oven prepared pigeon/rabbits and bottle of whatever at Christmas. Or get paid for the effort and fuel they put in for the farmer. If you have been working with someone for 10+ years regardless of whether you pay, are being paid or whatever, the decent thing to do IMO is to at least treat them with a bit of respect.

Do you have another side to the story?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DB has had it happen a number of times and is against taking people out because of it . We have a number of shared permissions and in my opinion if the farmer gives you permission as well as us you respect the other shooter . If he is set up you move on but if your set up and he comes on the land we would normally have a word.

Apart from him obviously not being a mate at all, it doesn't reflect very well on the farmer either.

People have offered good money for a walk round the land I stalk on and have all been told 'do one'

We dont know the sales pitch the snake used, "My mate who used to shoot here, cats eaten his shotgun" folk tell lies to get what they want, nip to see the land owner.

DB has had it happen a number of times and is against taking people out because of it . We have a number of shared permissions and in my opinion if the farmer gives you permission as well as us you respect the other shooter . If he is set up you move on but if your set up and he comes on the land we would normally have a word.

That's exactly how it works on the land I share permission upon.

I still remember getting a perm locally after the lad at work said you can't get them , we called in and I said " watch this" I chatted to a farmer and bagged 2-300 acres. He leans across me and says " can I shoot too"

I thought that's a bit unfair but carried on thinking it doesn't matter.

On the way back I said shall we shoot there tomorrow ? His reply

" I'm taking my mate there tomorrow so shoot when you want"

He knew I couldn't get in the morning so took his mate :/ and has continued to shoot with others ever since on there. I used to take him on all my other bits of land until that point.

Edited by team tractor

I also have know another shooter who seems to think he has every bit of land around here on sole rights.

He mentioned a few bits and was shocked when I told him the farmers names ( my mates from school) and I'd been shooting there for 20 years already lol.

He tells me not to bother asking at these places as its his.

:/

I still remember getting a perm locally after the lad at work said you can't get them , we called in and I said " watch this" I chatted to a farmer and bagged 2-300 acres. He leans across me and says " can I shoot too"

I thought that's a bit unfair but carried on thinking it doesn't matter.

On the way back I said shall we shoot there tomorrow ? His reply

" I'm taking my mate there tomorrow so shoot when you want"

He knew I couldn't get in the morning so took his mate :/ and has continued to shoot with others ever since on there. I used to take him on all my other bits of land until that point.

It is a lesson well learned, I have taken many PW members out on land that i have permission upon.

Some have become firm friends over the years, others you never hear from again.

Luckily the majority of the land has gated access with either keys or phone activated entry and I have not been troubled like the original poster YET!

The best one I had was the one patch off ground I've shot for 20 years . I was talking to a mate about it and he said that sounds like where my mate shoots . He said I'll put you in touch with each other so you don't shoot each other etc/ for safety reasons.

I had a call the next day saying " you no longer shoot there, it's sole rights to me"

I had a word with the farmer ( my mates dad) and he said I don't think so. He changed the locks on the gates and said he's not driving, shooting around his cattle.

He spoken to the 2 land owners and I still shoot half the ground.

20 years to have someone tell the owner I have illegal guns :/

I myself am taken on ground to shoot boar because it takes at least two of you yo carry them well drag them.

We have been in the land owners company and because he has seen me many times he has said come on up if want my mate looked shocked but i reasured him i would not step one foot on his ground without him being there if someine gains your trust you dont STAB him in the back no matter how much the land owner says you can go on your own

I myself am taken on ground to shoot boar because it takes at least two of you yo carry them well drag them.

We have been in the land owners company and because he has seen me many times he has said come on up if want my mate looked shocked but i reasured him i would not step one foot on his ground without him being there if someine gains your trust you dont STAB him in the back no matter how much the land owner says you can go on your own

Exactly how it should be.

Novice question, pigeons will come everyday and not everyone can commit to that, are shared, like a rota situations commom?

There are a great deal of shooters who work conventional days and are only available at weekends.

There are others who are only fair weather shooters and a 3rd group who only ever seem to turn out after the harvest is gathered in.

Most shooters who hold shared permissions are good natured and as said above will not set up if someone else is on a particular field.

In many cases it can be beneficial to have others out shooting an area to keep the birds moving.

Slightly different with me. I mentored an ex PW member so that he could gain a centrefire (22-250) rifle. All started well. He came onto my land, and I went onto his. After he gained permission to get the rifle, things started to go quiet with him. And now he has other land to shoot over, he hasn't contacted me in over 2 years, apart from a text message last year to say that he was selling a scope, and if I knew of anyone interested, to let him know. Yeah, right!

Slightly different with me. I mentored an ex PW member so that he could gain a centrefire (22-250) rifle. All started well. He came onto my land, and I went onto his. After he gained permission to get the rifle, things started to go quiet with him. And now he has other land to shoot over, he hasn't contacted me in over 2 years, apart from a text message last year to say that he was selling a scope, and if I knew of anyone interested, to let him know. Yeah, right!

I did similar with a member on here apart from I mentored him so he could gain his fac then again so he could get a deer legal calibre. Never heard from him for years now.

i have taken people out, but the farmers have said they must not come out unless i am there,

I sit on the other side of the fence being a landowner, I have bespoke 3 shooters, they can do as they please, they may well bring guests into the land, I don't know, they are trusted and they know they can't give permission (why would they) and I have no room for anymore guns, so they also know the shooting is safe.

All three are an asset to the farm, on hand shepherding, fencing, general work if I ask.

It's symbiotic.

Made me chuckle, Read this and thought you might be the op's X mate lol

Again from my point of view, if my guys weren't turning out enough, I'd take on other shooters, my interests are shooters interests.

What I CANNOT tolerate is doorknockers at summer harvest, come back when I'm not busy, when it's freezing and raining in February.

I can only guess they don't have any land to shoot on as they'd be there.

happened to me a few times. you have to be so careful who you take with you. its a shame for them though because they lost out on more shooting than they would ever get. i get a lot out of teaching people what i know but have had land poached too many times. so only ever take out a few lads that i have shot with for years now. not worth the hassle you put your effort in to help people and they stand on your toes

Edited by bumpy22

Made me chuckle, Read this and thought you might be the op's X mate lol

Do you really think farmers aren't aware of the value of shooting what they class as vermin (and we class as sport) and the rent they can get for it?

A farmer really REALLY needs a dressed rabbit? 99% of them can shoot from their own tractor, on their land, with their gun and dress it better than most, that's what farmers do.

They spend up to £75,000 on a tractor and really need that £15 bottle of whiskey?

Their loyalty to the gun who shoots pigeons once every 2 weeks is really that big????? Come off it (unless it's a lifelong friend).

But -

Do they appreciate a fair rent for their land? From multipe people they can trust? Would you not?

Edited by markm

Do you really think farmers aren't aware of the value of shooting what they class as vermin (and we class as sport) and the rent they can get for it?

A farmer really REALLY needs a dressed rabbit? 99% of them can shoot from their own tractor, on their land, with their gun and dress it better than most, that's what farmers do.

They spend up to £75,000 on a tractor and really need that £15 bottle of whiskey?

Their loyalty to the gun who shoots pigeons once every 2 weeks is really that big? ???? Come off it (unless it's a lifelong friend).

But -

Do they appreciate a fair rent for their land? From multipe people they can trust? Would you not?

I think you are missing the point the point of the question is you DONT go behind your so called mate who was good enough to take you shooting on his permission because you didnt have any then the so called mate goes behind his back and asks the landowner can he shoot there as well on his own its called TRUST

Edited by Rim Fire

Their loyalty to the gun who shoots pigeons once every 2 weeks is really that big? ???? Come off it (unless it's a lifelong friend).

But -

Yes he probably can dress a rabbit, just in the same way you can go and buy and wrap your own christmas presents, but its nice if someone else goes to the expense and effort of getting them, wrapping them and giving them to you!!

Yes he probably can afford a £15 bottle of whisky. So if you have money, you shouldn't be given gifts, that you can afford, from people, ????? What a very strange comment. Its not always about the money!

I think by your answers to the comments on here, you have clearly answered the question, "Was it you?" and even if it wasn't, judgeing by your comments, i wouldn't take you out or really want a friend with your morals or way of thinking.

edit:spelling

Edited by silver pigeon69

Yes he probably can dress a rabbit, just in the same way you can go and buy and wrap your own christmas presents, but its nice if someone else goes to the expense and effort of getting them, wrapping them and giving them to you!!

Yes he probably can afford a £15 bottle of whisky. So if you have money, you shouldn't be given gifts, that you can afford, from people, ????? What a very strange comment. Its not always about the money!

I think by your answers to the comments on here, you have clearly answered the question, "Was it you?" and even if it wasn't, judgeing by your comments, i wouldn't take you out or really want a friend with your morals or way of thinking.

edit:spelling

Good post with which I agree entirely.