Health Care Tourists

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem is that absolutely anyone can apply for a NI number and gets one. There is no security in the system at all

How difficult would it be to have a card reader at the point of entry where you swipe you NI card and it tells them whether you are 'in credit'? Tesco can do it with their loyalty cards so it ain't rocket science.

At A&E it would also mean that you wouldn't have to queue up at the desk while some idiot types in all your details with one finger.

NI numbers given to immigrants are different in form to the ones issued to citizens. Wouldn't even need a card reader to tell the difference.

Non eu immigrants also have a visa Id card and have to pay a surcharge to cover using the nhs as part of their visa. If you have that card then the persons paid. Job done.

This really wouldn't be rocket science to implement. Other than the utmost emergencies (under which circumstances I'm sure most wouldn't begrudge someone medical care) it's not difficult to ask someone how they intend to pay.

I have health insurance, whenever I travel for business or holiday (including the UK) I'm assuming I'll have to use it in the event I go to the hospital. I pay extra each year for higher cover and cover in the US.

Surprised to hear you don't check this, madness really.

Edited by iano

Call me old fashioned but are not the hospitals staffed with their fair share of "managers"......do something productive and collect the money owed for services supplied, it's our NHS, not the world and it's mother's !

While we are at it, spend some of the vast amounts of foreign aid that is wasted abroad on us, hospitals, basic infrastructure to deal with the changing demographic. It's time to stop playing "Lady Bountiful" to these countries, let them sort themselves out and not rely on handouts........

How do they collect it? If a pregnant lady gets off a plane from Nigeria and straight away gets a taxi to the hospital to give birth how do you get the money? Sell the child? Hold her to ransom?

The best thing to do is not to let them get on the plane until they have demonstrated satisfactory health cover.

NI numbers given to immigrants are different in form to the ones issued to citizens. Wouldn't even need a card reader to tell the difference.

Really. I need to lie down and digest that one. They can apply and get one at the drop of a hat or just clone / hi-jack any number.

Really. I need to lie down and digest that one. They can apply and get one at the drop of a hat or just clone / hi-jack any number.

I am not so sure about all this, my Mum's cleaner brought her mum over from Hungary last year for an operation. Part of the problem actually is Easyjet, they can fly back and forwards more or less whenever they feel like it.

How do they collect it? If a pregnant lady gets off a plane from Nigeria and straight away gets a taxi to the hospital to give birth how do you get the money? Sell the child? Hold her to ransom?

The best thing to do is not to let them get on the plane until they have demonstrated satisfactory health cover.

As I said in a previous post having a medical insurance certificate is not worth the paper its written on, if the woman is pregnant when she takes it out or the condition is pre-existing the company will not pay out

In Nigeria ,shoudnt be a problem ;)

Put her back on the plane, better still, don't let her off !!

ECHR ..and a fine for border control ,at the very least.

Good to see the PW fascists are again reducing a complex and largely individual problem to seemingly gleefully watching a dirty foreigner die...

That's it I'm out.

Bye :good:

Mate went to Spain,Somebody 6 floors up knocked a bottle off the ledge, split his head a treat...

When the two guys in the ambulance turned up,,His Words....

If he hasn't got insurance cover we will not even bend down to look at him..

Yet the pregnant women from America have been flying over here for a month stay,know they are going into labour,Will be taken in..

It is cheaper to do that than have Health insurance over there..

Bloke brought his father over not long back,He had a massive Hernia,Was practicualy taken from the airport to A E,and was operated on immediatly,,

Now if this was a bank,Theold saying up North is::

If you aint put nowt in,you cannot get nowt out..

It's a sad state of affairs and I genuinely feel very sorry for people who need medical care and can't afford it in their own country's, I also don't blame them coming here and trying it on, I know what I'd do if a member of my family was going to die unless I took them abroad to rip off another countries health service. I blame our politicians for allowing it for all this time, if our country is ever in the position that poverty is irradiated and our NHS is sailing, I will be one shouting loudest that we should be helping others less fortunate than ourselves, unfortunately we're not in that position and charity starts at home.

There is only 1 problem in the UK and that is too many people live here.It is a very tiny island and I would suggest that we need some kind of radical action and by radical I mean a massive reduction in breeding , Before I get accused of being racist, I include our own white population in this as well. ie... Less people = less strain on our resources,less waste, less pollution., less traffic. It's not exactly rocket science. from Auntie.

There is only 1 problem in the UK and that is too many people live here.It is a very tiny island and I would suggest that we need some kind of radical action and by radical I mean a massive reduction in breeding , Before I get accused of being racist, I include our own white population in this as well. ie... Less people = less strain on our resources,less waste, less pollution., less traffic. It's not exactly rocket science. from Auntie.

Not just the breeding, but the influx of people who feel we have a better life and they want some of it whether entitled to it or not!

Comprehensive health insurance should be a condition of entry into the U.K........end of!

Needed health care twice, once in Oz and once in Spain, on both occasions I was asked for health insurance before even seeing a doctor.Was not asked for EHIC card.

Had it on both occasions at great expense for a long stay in Oz (over £2250 for two of us) for 12 months.

Not the whole answer but agree it should be compulsory for all overseas visitors.

Good to see the PW fascists are again reducing a complex and largely individual problem to seemingly gleefully watching a dirty foreigner die...

That's it I'm out.

What do you suggest then, we cannot go on allowing all and sundry to abuse our NHS or any other benefit that we pay for as taxpayers.

It is not an unending supply of medical care and drugs.

There is a simple answer to this just make a quick law that says that everyone one entering this country must have good medical insurance valid for the time that they are permitted to stay if they do not have it do not let them in to this country add to that anyone outstaying there time and not having insurance would be put on the first plane home I would rather pay for a flight home for them that foot there medical bills.