Small size big load ?

Fiocchi do i believe in their pl34 but i'm not aware of who imports them but they should be available, keep in mind italians shoot a number of smaller species, hence their availability.

Similarly, dove hunters use them abroad, but in uk you would run out if penetration for pheasants about 30 yards, and pigeon at 35yds.

Edited by Stonepark

It's certainly possible. I've heard of people loading 30+gms of small shot and using it in clay shoots.

Beneficial for pigeons/game, no idea.

A certain well known shooter when sponsored by Eley used to have 36g fibre 8s loaded for him to use at the Game fair shoots.

Some years ago I invited a friend, who usually only shot clays, to shoot pigeon over wheat that had some flattened patches. I put him in a good spot whilst I took up position in a wood that the birds were flying over and sitting up in. He was soon shooting regularly. After awhile I was in a position that I could watch him shooting and I was amazed at the distance that he was dropping the birds. At the end of the day I asked him what he was shooting. He was shooting Maionchi 1-1/8 = 32grms of #8 out of a well used win 101 with fixed chokes and 28 inch barrels. I was astounded that he was dropping them stone dead at extreame range. I had to run the dog up the tramlines to pick the birds. She came back with 30 in the end. So given the ability of the shooter to accurately center the pattern on the target then the load, gun and shooter ability carried the day.

Agreed, Figgy. I was mainly talking about a shot taken at an average bird (30 -40 yards) with no. 8 shot. With an ounce of 8 or 34 grams of 8, a bird "middled" would be well hit, rather than minced. Any bird at close range has the potential to be smashed to bits, regardless of load. I liken this to the high house on skeet, station 7. Shoot the bird just out of the trap and it can be well hit. Let it come right to you and it should be a ball of dust.

Lots of European makers load the size you want and bigger weight of small shotfor migratory birds. Some diperante carts etc. Must make pate of some of the birds they shoot.

not exactly; not sure why here you guys think so; probably becasue you never attempted it so,the lack of experience (no offence) makes you think like that; but i shot in Italy for some 24 years (with or without a license) and even 34 gr (EU) #10, 11, 12 or 13 loaded with a plastic wad won't make mince of anything at any reasonable distance (beyond 15 mt), when loaded with dispersor wad their efficiency is limited to 20-25 mt so, unless you throw 34g at 10 mt, you're good to go.... and please take my word on that. :yes: That said, the standard loads are 28-32g with 34+ used in some challenging condition or at migration point when bird come from the see - or through the high muntain- real high up (100 mt+)

when you put a thrush or blackbird or starling on a pattern plate (30 mt) you will see that they also take 5-10 shots on their silhuette; but these are 5-10 very small shots. Of course, if you shoot thrushes at 10 mt with 36+ g of #10 and above....then you might have some problems...

But, essentially, it all boils down to the style of shooting when you shoot in an olive tree plantation, at dawn, at a 10cm dark shadow coming through the trees foliage at 40-60 km/h ... you can't go soft as most of the pellets will be lost in the leaves and branches. And, if wind play on your side lifting the birds above the tree crowns then you still need a big spread to ensure that you have an even pattern at 30-40 even 50 mt.

you won't be shooting thrushes or blackbirds coming into the decoys; if anything, this type of shooting is more like roost shooting in a strong wind, so, the more pellets the merrier :lol:

Edited by Continental Shooter

not exactly; not sure why here you guys think so; probably becasue you never attempted it so,the lack of experience (no offence) makes you think like that; but i shot in Italy for some 24 years (with or without a license) and even 34 gr (EU) #10, 11, 12 or 13 loaded with a plastic wad won't make mince of anything at any reasonable distance (beyond 15 mt), when loaded with dispersor wad their efficiency is limited to 20-25 mt so, unless you throw 34g at 10 mt, you're good to go.... and please take my word on that. :yes: That said, the standard loads are 28-32g with 34+ used in some challenging condition or at migration point when bird come from the see - or through the high muntain- real high up (100 mt+)

when you put a thrush or blackbird or starling on a pattern plate (30 mt) you will see that they also take 5-10 shots on their silhuette; but these are 5-10 very small shots. Of course, if you shoot thrushes at 10 mt with 36+ g of #10 and above....then you might have some problems...

But, essentially, it all boils down to the style of shooting when you shoot in an olive tree plantation, at dawn, at a 10cm dark shadow coming through the trees foliage at 40-60 km/h ... you can't go soft as most of the pellets will be lost in the leaves and branches. And, if wind play on your side lifting the birds above the tree crowns then you still need a big spread to ensure that you have an even pattern at 30-40 even 50 mt.

you won't be shooting thrushes or blackbirds coming into the decoys; if anything, this type of shooting is more like roost shooting in a strong wind, so, the more pellets the merrier :lol:

was it u who made that poem 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie fancy eating all those song birds are you a good singer :yes::yes::yes:

I think we prefer to see ours thrush, blackbird or starlings at the bird table rather than the end of a gun barrel, but this is England not Italy.

did you say bird table or dinner table :lol::lol::lol:

I think we prefer to see ours thrush, blackbird or starlings at the bird table rather than the end of a gun barrel, but this is England not Italy.

yeah, fair enough;

We, instead, like to hunt our quarry (and eat the songbirds).... not pay to just shooting it for fun...

each to their own i suppose :good:

George, no we (in Italy) eat them roasted on the spit with a piece of por belly each side of the thrushes :lol: i think the pie is either a Spanish or French delicacy :lol:

Edited by Continental Shooter

I've got Rottweil about 500 36g 8's in my store, had them for a few years, not sure if they are still available.

This is a great shell! that's one i won't have any problem to throw at high pheasants

I used to use it on a variety of fields from doves (#8) to pigeons (#5) to pheasants (#5-7) always performed superbly well.

I also have a couple of tins left of rotweil powder and some original hull too which i use when i want to load some 'classic' shell or i need an all-rounder shell for the day