Nicola Sturgeon Referendum News

figgy

I wonder if Trump will have any bricks spare? :lol:

This is just a little bit ridiculous. Where will this lead us? "Get that wall back up and line it with landmines!!".

Scotland goes independent, Wales does the same. Then counties think, "what a good idea" before you know it towns do the same. Form different laws and we spend the rest of our time pillaging the neighboring villages... Were going backwards lol..

:crazy:

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what your rant has to do with the topic under discussion.

Since trouble seems to follow you about, perhaps you should look closer to home and stop blaming everybody else for their adverse reaction?

But yet u can label the whole of scotland racist bigoited and english hateing?

But could that not be the same as calling scots english haters just because some womble is a womble? And its easier to blame on the nation instead of his own personality

Ps Quite the oppisate Flashman i'm failry well travelled and flatted with english boys all over world, just on english soil do u ever get any problems.

Just the town idoits looking for a fight and the scottish accent is there excuse or target for the night,, if we weren't there it would be some other nerd/specky bloke, stranger or anything else that makes them stand out,, the accents just the excuse for a fight.

A vote for independence is no different thn a vote for brexit, it does not turn voters into english hating anymore than its turned brexit voters towards french/dutch hateing.

Just voting for wo u think is right, really has no undertones of hatred or anything else

Just the town idoits looking for a fight and the scottish accent is there excuse or target for the night,, if we weren't there it would be some other nerd/specky bloke, stranger or anything else that makes them stand out,, the accents just the excuse for a fight.

I might just be me, but you've kind of just shot yourself in the foot. If displaying a semblance of intelligence (nerd), or wearing glasses (specky bloke) can get you into a scrap, it points to a rather obvious conclusion...you frequent dodgy establishments. :friends:

Edited by achosenman

somebody just needs to ask this to sturgeon, 'why did Scotland join the union in the first place?'

they should insist on a direct answer, not allow the question to go anywhere else, she knows, this is why her stance is so reckless.................but as I have said before, an activist never makes a good politician, same as an activist is useless for the environment and animal welfare.

the snp thinking was probably inspired by watching braveheart at university.

Edited by wandringstar

But yet u can label the whole of scotland racist bigoited and english hateing?

But could that not be the same as calling scots english haters just because some womble is a womble? And its easier to blame on the nation instead of his own personality

Ps Quite the oppisate Flashman i'm failry well travelled and flatted with english boys all over world, just on english soil do u ever get any problems.

A vote for independence is no different thn a vote for brexit, it does not turn voters into english hating anymore than its turned brexit voters towards french/dutch hateing.

Just voting for wo u think is right, really has no undertones of hatred or anything else

No, I'm not labelling the whole of Scotland anything.

I suggested that you look at your own attitude. If a fight breaks out everywhere you go, perhaps you are the issue..?

What was said of Billy Bremner? "He could start a fight in an empty room."

Actually, Mick's comment about Scotland being spared the worst excesses of freedom of movement is only partly true. They have a lot of hotels and restaurants in Scotland, serving the tourist trade, that depend almost entirely on Eastern Europe for their staff. Plenty of EU migrants are working in forestry, agriculture, fish farms, call centres etc in Scotland.

In many ways their economy is very dependant on migrant workers. Theirs is an immigration success story in that respect.

You may, however, be forgiven for wondering why a country with very high rates of unemployment needs to fly in workers from abroad? That's a separate story.

Very high rates of unemployment? Huh? Scotland's rate is lower than the UK, or certainly was Q4 2016.

But yes, I see lot's of migrant workers in my area, but then I live in a rural area where migrant workers form large squads to harvest berries in the warmer months. They also carry out lots of other agricultural work relating to potatoes, turnips, daffodils, Christmas trees, wheat and barley. I don't believe the migrant employee ratios up here are any different to the UK as a whole - I don't hear many English accents in the hotels I stay in down South.

"The clue is in the name" the people of Scotland democratically voted for who it wanted to represent them and speak in the name of the Scottish people........they elected the "Nationalists".

That's what Scotland wanted....that's what Scotland got!........for those Scots who claim they voted to remain in the U.K......... no good whining now!

Good luck Scotland....you'll need it!

Every time theres an anti Scotland thread its perpetrated by the same old PW members, and I always wonder why, Their indignation that Scotland might go it alone with the "dont they know how they will fail," and how dependent they are on Englands handouts, how stupid are they, not to be able to see through wee crankie,etc etc etc,...

surely a more consistent response to Scotland possible problems would be at best indifference, or even joy that you might finally have got rid of the troublesome bunch from the north.

Panama 1, I always thought that UKIP could be described as "Nationalist's" and for what its worth I've never been a lover of nationalist's but have also never felt the need to comment every time something happens in a place i dont like just to reinforce how much i dont like it

edit to say scotslad you should have gone to the church hall after the match for a nice cup of tea and a cake (what were you thinking)

Edited by islandgun

I personally don't understand all the animosity, I don't want Scotland to go but if it's what the majority want then they should, that's what democracy should be about, there's no need for arguments or blaming, it's the same as the EU referendum and I think there's a lot of Europe angry at the uk right now to, with all that said, I do dislike the snp and wish they would leave the EU referendum out of their agenda as they have definitely meddled in it.

Scotland's justification for another referendum seems to be that they want to be in the EU. However, they would have to be accepted by all 27 EU members and I'm not convinced that Spain and Italy would vote them in as that would encourage the Basques, Catalonians and Sardinians to try for independence. Even in France, Brittany and Normandy might have a go.

South Tyrol and Corsica may also fancy their chances if the others succeed.

Just wider viewpoint considering other independence movements in Europe.

Islandgun, I believe you are mistaken, UKIP are anti the UK being in the EU because they believe being out is better for the interests of the UK....a position I support, not with any feeling of UK nationalism, but what I also feel is best for the UK, the SNP want exactly the opposite...not what is best for Scotland but independence whatever the cost!

Some Scottish posters on here.........Have you got a complex? You come across as very defensive? the people on here are not attacking Scotland but the nationalist government you the Scots have elected to represent you!....... I like most English don't dislike Scotland!.....I dislike the Scots and Scottish Nationalists who dislike me because I'm English!

Edited by panoma1

Sturgeon is playing a double bluff, the last thing she probably really wants is another referendum.

She is doing this because she knows TM can't allow a Scottish Referendum once Brexit is triggered. So, when she gets refused, she can now go on and on about it endlessly to distract attention away from how badly they are running things in Scotland

Edited by Vince Green

This morning, Spain have said that Scotland could not jump the queue to join the EU, with 4 countries waiting. Sturgeon just ignores that with the pathetic argument "There must be a way" etc.

12gauge 82 has it right. :good:

I don't want Scotland to leave the UK - I believe it would be a mistake, which would have serious repercussions. However, like Brexit, it is a jump into the unknown and if that is what the Scots want - good luck to them.

PS. to those who come south of the border and find themselves in a fight - not sure what the point was. If I went into Moss Side Manchester for a night out, I'm almost certain it would end up in grief. Nothing to do with my nationality - I just wouldn't go there. If you look hard enough for trouble, you will find it. It is a simple enough matter.

I am sick and tired of these Scots I say give them a once and for all vote and if they choose to leave us we can pull our subs out move all ship building back to England not have to pay the Barnet thing do what Donald Trump is doing build a big wall/fence and let the drown in there own oil or lack of it.

Having said that I think that we are much better off together as we have been for hundreds of years and there are probably more Scotish people living in England than live in there country.

Having said that I do think that NI would be better off united with the south after all it is one tiny island it make no sense to have two governments there.

Gordon the point in bringing that up is many on here seem to think anti-/hate feelings only go 1 way.

I have experienced plenty of anti scottish feeling and generally don't even go to england now even thou its only 20miles away.

Island gun most of the sevre abuse/voilence was during the game or in the church/village hall after it while getting our sandwhiches only lasted half a season just too much hasslre for a game of fitba

I really srtuggle to see why u really care wot scotland does or where the aminosity or virtoil comes from.

Hell I even live in scotland and don't really care that passionately about independence as some from the south seem too do.

Yes scotland voted the snp in, think something like 40% of vote with other 60% split between 3+ parties + the many who don't bother voting, so really snp represents scotland as much as a tory government represents various working class/labour voting areas of the north.of england or wales

I'm more with islandgun and 1282 and really don't see wot all the fuss is about and why everyones getting so worked up about it all.

Ps for the record it is sheer lunacy to time it in middle of the brexit negotations before we know wot deal we'll get and just ceates more question marks over something with far far far too many question marks.

And more lunacy to even want to be part of EU never mind thinking we'd be allowed to get in, but i persume there is some sort of faint legal lophole that there hoping to just replace UK's nametag with scotlands and just slip in and no one would notice.

All well above and beyond me but its the sort of BS thinking snp are famous for

scotslad - let peace break out. :yes:

I have found the Scots to be many positive things, but also good company on a night out. I have had more Glasgow nights out than you can point a stick at. I have been in Glasgow pubs when either English or Scottish football teams were playing. The vast majority of customers shouted for the UK sides - be they Scottish or English.

The "hatred" of the English or Scottish seems to emanate mainly from politicians. :whistling:

Some fair points made here. I'm starting to change my view slightly. Whilst I cannot see the SNP as anything other than an 'English-hating-anything-is-better' party I can't help concede the point made that the whole of the UK was given a vote whether they wished to stay or remain part of the EU, which is democratic, and the weight of public opinion was in favour of leaving and that this changes, it is suggested, the terms of the original Scottish vote for independence (I don't recall the precise wording). However, I'm not convinced that this necessarily justifies the call for a repeat of the IndyRef so soon.

As suggested, it may be better if Sturgeon had kept her powder dry on this and waited to see what the outcome of the vote to leave brings. Sadly, her inability to resist a good opportunity to **** and moan about the English and Westmonster got the better off her and, by her relentless trapping off, she managed to paint herself into a political corner. Perhaps not so shrewd after all?

Scotslad - travel further south in future. I doubt whether anyone would start a fight with you over a Scottish accent on a night out in London. Hell, most folk would be grateful that you're speaking to them in the same language!

But, as has been made clear, a default entry to the EU wouldn't be on the cards immediately. Which would create a state, albeit temporary, of utter limbo.

• No financial support from the rest of the UK.

• Immediate cessation of the use of UK currency (they couldn't keep the pound, it's been made clear).

• No immediate membership to the EU.

• Withdrawal of all UK investment and any associate manufacturing.

• Commencing a lengthy process of joining the EU, with other countries already in the list in advance and resistance from existing member states.

It's a social and economic car crash that makes any potential negative fallout from the UK's brexit look like a party in the park by way of comparison. Still, I concede that if the SNP succeed in gaining a second referendum and a vote to secede is the outcome then that decision should be respected, it's democracy in action. Although, perhaps they can pay for it this time?

Edited by mick miller

Some fair points made here. I'm starting to change my view slightly. Whilst I cannot see the SNP as anything other than an 'English-hating-anything-is-better' party I can't help concede the point made that the whole of the UK was given a vote whether they wished to stay or remain part of the EU, which is democratic, and the weight of public opinion was in favour of leaving and that this changes, it is suggested, the terms of the original Scottish vote for independence (I don't recall the precise wording). However, I'm not convinced that this necessarily justifies the call for a repeat of the IndyRef so soon.

As suggested, it may be better if Sturgeon had kept her powder dry on this and waited to see what the outcome of the vote to leave brings. Sadly, her inability to resist a good opportunity to **** and moan about the English and Westmonster got the better off her and, by her relentless trapping off, she managed to paint herself into a political corner. Perhaps not so shrewd after all?

Scotslad - travel further south in future. I doubt whether anyone would start a fight with you over a Scottish accent on a night out in London. Hell, most folk would be grateful that you're speaking to them in the same language!

I don't see/hear Sturgeon saying anything anti-English. All I see/hear is anti-Westminster governance.

It seems true that the SNP will use any convenient event as a reason to start calling for another referendum, despite Alex Salmond saying, back in the day, that we would not get into a "neverendum" situation.

The core SNP support want independence *no matter what* - being in / out of the EU can be dealt with later on as far as they are concerned.