Nicola Sturgeon Referendum News

figgy

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron split the UK assunder by using devolution to buy votes. Doling out greater independence for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales whilst at the same time spouting that we're stronger together??? :hmm:

Blair and Brown started this - they began the rot. You can't have more than 1 boss running a country - it's crazy.

Blair and Brown started this - they began the rot. You can't have more than 1 boss running a country - it's crazy.

Aye, Scots Prime Ministers, stirring the pot....making sure their legacy would be less cohesion & more social unrest.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I'm going to throw a few thoughts into the ring - failry random but stimulated by the other posts.

As far as the EU issue goes:-

Scotland is NOT an Island but Great Britain is. If it makes no sense to politically separate from Europe it makes EVEN LESS sense to separate from the rest of the UK. We share a common psyche within this nation of islands but are wired up very differently to central and southern Europe. We are not creatures of bureaucracy and process and this is one reason why we generally dislike the Euro Parliament and Commission so much. Churchill said something about "“We have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed.” He was pretty much spot on - where did we allow it to go so wrong?

Sturgeon wanted independence when we were still going to be part of Europe, now she wants it 'cos we're out. So she really has no right to use Brexit as an argument and should be called out on this. Thought - Why does no one EVER really publicly grind them down?!! The SNP is like a collective version of Charles Clarke (thank god he's faded away).

I agree that as the independence issue is SO divisive that a significant majority should be required so that the issue is put to bed.

I would not support a shared pound simply because I don't want the value of the money in my pocket influenced by the actions of some federal SNP/Greens cluster**** over whom I have no tidbit of control.

If a hard border were to exist (and why not - Scotland is now just another foreign country) just how economically sensible will the shipping of goods via Denmark be or the introduction of carnets to cross England? There ought to be a few hard chats about that before a referendum.

Under 18's shouldn't be allowed vote (or most millennials for that matter). Politics are either too earnest or very trite at that age. I SAY THIS TONGUE IN CHEEK!!

God that woman and her familiars are so vile for attempting to turn friends, relatives and colleagues into literal foreigners. The behaviour last time was simply dreadful and I don't want that visited on anyone again.

Personally, were the skies blue, I'd be more in favour in the long term of a Scandi-GB-trading bloc (including Netherlands, Iceland and Faeroes). I'm sure it would be a far happier marriage. NB there might be a seat at the table too for Russia if they can ever find democracy. Russia wants to be included, and taken seriously. We've isolated it for so long. It might solve a lot of things.

Edited by LeadWasp

To hell with it - screw Brexit, down with negotiation and reasonable courses of action. Let's make like the SNP and roll history back by 400 years. Britain could buy lots of gunboats and 'trade' that way again!

I accept that Sturgeon and Salmond are popular in Scotland, but have never understood why. They seem to be more like pantomime dames than Politicians. They seem unable to grasp economics, marine law or even common-sense. They seem to have a memory of convenience.

For those who are tempted to tell me they are quite shrewd - please spare me. I find the notion laughable.

I have a fair number of Scottish friends, who are quite sharp, realistic and level headed. The SNP obviously appeal to another bunch, who I have never met.

I accept that Sturgeon and Salmond are popular in Scotland, but have never understood why. They seem to be more like pantomime dames than Politicians. They seem unable to grasp economics, marine law or even common-sense. They seem to have a memory of convenience.

For those who are tempted to tell me they are quite shrewd - please spare me. I find the notion laughable.

I have a fair number of Scottish friends, who are quite sharp, realistic and level headed. The SNP obviously appeal to another bunch, who I have never met.

I agree - other than one (former) supplier (who is a barely concealed mysogynist too) I've never actually knowlingly met an SNP supporter.

The SNP sit in the UK parliament, they have a vote and consequently an influence on, not just Scottish affairs, but what happens throughout the whole UK....so if the SNP want a referendum to decide whether Scotland wants independence from the UK, a move which will obviously affect the whole of the UK............then the whole of the UK electorate should have a vote!

If it were a U.K. Wide referendum then the result could be determined by a simple majority, if the SNP intend to exclude the rest of the UK electorate from a Scottish independence referendum, then a majority of 75% of those registered in Scotland and eligible to vote, should be required....if either side fail to achieve a 75% majority, the status quo should stand!

It's about time Westminster started playing hardball with the SNP.

I sat in my car and listened to her speech in its entirety live as broadcast, its the first time I have given her more than a few seconds.

She spoke like someone who had just had a terrible injustice inflicted upon her and her country, she spoke in terms of things having to be right for Scotland, she spoke as if Scotland was nothing to do with the u.k and that a second referendum was a natural outcome.

Here is what actually happened, Scotland, after foolishly being given devolved power, fell further into the hands of these activists, the snp, they were reluctantly granted a referendum, the people spoke, this should be it, Scotland rightfuly being as much a part of the uk as everyone else.

She says, because of brexit, the dynamics have changed.............well that is life I am afraid, Scotland being as one, a part of the u.k and not a separate country cannot claim to have not voted for brexit, there were regions all over the u.k especially London, where brexit was in the minority.

She is underestimating everybody, the public, Teresa may, and the EU, she has zero mandate or authority to be trying to use another referendum to stay in the EU, she is stupidly gambling that those who voted remain will naturally vote for independence.

She is a cry baby who should have thrown away her placards and juvenile attitude by now.

I can't stand her. Wish MI5 would hurry up and sort it out lol

PM is fighting a battle to get the UK the best deal - that includes scotland, and needs the best hand possible. She is just using this brexit and causing confusion which will lead to a worse outcome for us all. Nows the time to stick

Together.

No one knows the outcome of brexit, so why would the scots want to vote on the unknown, surly it would be better to see what deal we get, how good it is, and make a desision after it's all done and the facts Are known. I highly doubt they will be allowed into the EU anyway. Spain etc. and they will be having problems of their own with brexit and maybe the elections this year.

Couple hundred years back she's have been hung for treason!