Article 50 ... Good news?

Smokersmith

Well its happening and it seems many of you here are over the moon. Good for you. Now I am disappointed at what's happened but as I keep being reminded I am a minority of 48% whose opinion of Brexit this is now irrelevant.

So here is what I'm going to do: I am going to watch and see what happens with an open mind. I will go to work, pay my taxes, look after my home and family, and enjoy my hobbies. In 2 year time from yesterday we will be out of the EU. I will then put a time frame of 3 years post Brexit (That's 29th of March 2022). If as most of you are all predicting our lives here in the UK will have improved considerably, I will shake your hands congratulate you on being right and accept the fact I was wrong.

I think that's a fair way to approach it, so I'm going to wait and see.

Good luck all.

Cheers

Aled

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me but I left school in 1987 when there were over 3 million unemployed, the highest numbers ever iirc.

In the early 70`s before the 3 day week and subsequent closing down of various heavy industry's coal, steel shipbuilding etc and before the desire to join the community of Europe there was over 33 million people employed in the Great British Isles mostly I would think British citizens or at least from the commonwealth. We currently have around 33 million people employed in the UK, how many of these are British citizens I dont know. It took 10 to 15 year for the unemployment numbers to get that high but by then we had already sold our soul to Europe and the rest of the worlds cheaper manufacturing industry, Its time to get it back for the sake of our current and future generations and lets make our country Great again

Well its happening and it seems many of you here are over the moon. Good for you. Now I am disappointed at what's happened but as I keep being reminded I am a minority of 48% whose opinion of Brexit this is now irrelevant.

So here is what I'm going to do: I am going to watch and see what happens with an open mind. I will go to work, pay my taxes, look after my home and family, and enjoy my hobbies. In 2 year time from yesterday we will be out of the EU. I will then put a time frame of 3 years post Brexit (That's 29th of March 2022). If as most of you are all predicting our lives here in the UK will have improved considerably, I will shake your hands congratulate you on being right and accept the fact I was wrong.

Good luck all.

Cheers

Aled

With respect a lot of the 52% majority are sick to death of the constant doom mungering, intelligence level questioning, and talking down we get every day in the media and from the "liberal know it all's" who also tell us our view is irrelevant and wrong. There is a lot more of this than what you are complaining about.

In the future, how do we think we will actually know how good or bad Brexit was/is for us as individuals and/or the UK?

The pro EU lobby will massage and interpret any statistics to support their position, and the Brexiteers will massage and interpret any statistics to support theirs........

Face it, we will never know the truth because there is no truth, we believe what we are told or we don't!..... welcome to the real world of cynicism!

Hearsay and rumor is a wonderful thing. Even if it what you say is correct the same can happen in or out of the EU. Its a fault of administration. With the EU we have a hope of agreeing and exercising control and agreement on a European basis without we have none.

Is that an attempt at being funny? The EU IS the administration !

They couldnt be trusted to run a Sunday league football team without cocking it up.

If we are so reliant on the EU to hold our hand while we negotiate 'deals' and administer our own finances,how on earth did we manage before ?

Good luck all.

Cheers

Aled

Well, what else were you going to do ?

Edited by Rewulf

Good luck all.

Cheers

Aled

Good on you, I wish others would take a leaf from your book, democracy has spoken and we need to make a go at it, the UK needs to unite and get the best deal it can, in fighting and blaming each other will not help to achieve this.

With respect a lot of the 52% majority are sick to death of the constant doom mungering, intelligence level questioning, and talking down we get every day in the media and from the "liberal know it all's" who also tell us our view is irrelevant and wrong. There is a lot more of this than what you are complaining about.

Anyone wanting to set up a business making dummy's would make a fortune, quite a few been spit from the Snowflake Left... :lol: ..

Same old drivel day in day out... :rolleyes:

Good luck all.

Cheers

Aled

Or, you could just get on with your life. After all, it's not like many of us have an alternative.

...pity nobody can afford a mortgage now, OR, while SOME can...look at the house prices to income ratio: 44 years ago, and today.

Back in the early 80's, as an APPRENTICE, I could have bought about 10-20% of the property listed in the evening paper.

The last 44 years have NOT been good for the average UK worker

It may not have been for you , but it has been for 99% of the population. Think of what you have today , all the luxuary goods , cars , hoildays abroad, and so on. Only the well off back in those days had such luxuary goods. In the early 70s I was working in a supermarket 5 1\2 days a week for £5.50p a week. £3.00 rent for my bed sit and £2.00 for food left little left over the things we take for granted today. A box of cartridges had to be saved for , Eley Impax were 90P almost a fifth of my weeks wage. Mind you a pint of larger beer was 10P , but we used to drink mild at a penny cheaper. As for the price of houses the blame for that lies with successive UK govenments not puting the money into house building and removing a huge amount from the council housing stock. Not that I am knocking selling council houses I bought mine, you were a fool not to, but the money was never put back into fresh housing.

Look how good we had it a hundred years or so ago, British empire owned half the world, royal Britania ruled the waves.

Yes my post is ridiculous, as is yours.

Britania might have ruled the waves , but it was not a good time for the man in the street. How can the truth be ridiculous or is just because it does not fit in with your own opinions?

Edited by anser2

So how's inflation been since the leave vote ? As remainers are so good at predicting the future can you tell me a couple of things ?

Winner of the national.

Lottery results for the first Sat in October.

Weather on June 21st 2019.

If you want to base these predictions on the last 44 years feel free.

It's good enough for a forum

Edited to add " food up to the Brexit result"That's brilliant! What food is so much more expensive ? Over and above normal pricing structure

The rate of inflation has been on the rise since Brexit. I cant beleve anyone does not follow the inflation rates. When was the last time you went shopping for your family in a supermarket. Food inflation is much higher than many other forms that are included in the national data. I can tell you what foods have gone up. My usual jam has gone up from £1.30 to £1 50, frozen chips from £1 to £1.23 , Lor coffee from £3.45 to £4. Petrol from 99p to £1.17. I bought a saucepan last spring at £3.00. The same brand and size is now £5.00. I could go on but you do not want a grocery list.

The rate of inflation has been on the rise since Brexit. I cant beleve anyone does not follow the inflation rates. When was the last time you went shopping for your family in a supermarket. Food inflation is much higher than many other forms that are included in the national data. I can tell you what foods have gone up. My usual jam has gone up from £1.30 to £1 50, frozen chips from £1 to £1.23 , Lor coffee from £3.45 to £4. Petrol from 99p to £1.17. I bought a saucepan last spring at £3.00. The same brand and size is now £5.00. I could go on but you do not want a grocery list.

Prices have gone up simply because the pound went down. That should be a wake up call to all of us to realise just how much of the food we used to produce in this country is now imported.

What's with that goose loving Frenchman Francois Hollande insisting that we 'settle financial bills' prior to any other talks?

I think it's time to stop pussy footing around these 2nd rate wannabees, say a final goodbye and stop sending them money. Job done in a week, never mind two years

It may not have been for you , but it has been for 99% of the population.

Really?

"Data based on incomes published in 2016 by Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) show that, after housing costs have been taken into consideration, the number of people living in the UK in relative poverty to be 13.44m (21% of the population)[1] In 2015, a report by Institute for Fiscal Studies reported that 21.6% of Britons were now in relative poverty."

"The incomes of poor households are increasingly sensitive to what happens in the labour market. Income from employment made up half of income for the poorest fifth of households in 2014–15 (excluding pensioners), up from less than a third 20 years ago. While this is good news it does mean that the poorest are now more vulnerable to any downturn in the labour market than they would have been in the past."

"In key respects middle income families with children now more closely resemble poor families than in the past. Half are now renters rather than owner occupiers and, while poorer families have become less reliant on benefits as employment has risen, middle- income households with children now get 30% of their income from benefits and tax credits, up from 22% 20 years ago."

"Almost a third of the UK population fell below the official poverty line at some point between 2010 and 2013, figures show.

Around 19.3 million people - 33% - were in poverty at least once, compared with 25% of people across the EU, the Office for National Statistics found."

Yeah being in the EU with an endless supply of cheap labour has really been great . . . if you happen to own a company . . . not so good if you're one of the people on minimum wage or a zero hours contract though is it?

As for petrol prices . . . completely irrelevent

e0563d4a2f4366761d412773d0ec7c58.png

I do not know where your data for Petrol prices comes from , but in Norfolk Morisions, Tescos , Asda petrol prices were around 99p to £1 for some months before Brexit then steeply rose within days for brexit to £1.15-20 before dropping recently. I suspect your chart is for non supermarkets and includes minor country dealers who are always well above the supermarket prices. The high prices in 2011-13 were due to a world shortage in petrol. In 2016 the world oil price was very low due to a glut in oil because of the oil war between OPEC and the USA with new shale oil sourses coming on tap. But for the drop i the £ oil prices would have been well below 99p due to over supply.

Your data for poverty is not directly comparable with the 1970s. The goal posts measuring it are very different today to those days. back in the 1970s very few of my friends could afford a car and those who did have one were cheap "bangers" not the up market cars many youngsters have today. Many of the things considered as important to own today , mobile phones , LED TVs, PC computers did not exist then , but now are included in poverty levels. Again back in the 1970s the majority of people on low wages were UK born and bred. Now many are migrant workers on low wages.

Your data for poverty is not directly comparable with the 1970s. The goal posts measuring it are very different today to those days. back in the 1970s very few of my friends could afford a car and those who did have one were cheap "bangers" not the up market cars many youngsters have today. Many of the things considered as important to own today , mobile phones , LED TVs, PC computers did not exist then , but now are included in poverty levels. Again back in the 1970s the majority of people on low wages were UK born and bred. Now many are migrant workers on low wages.

Well by that logic the poor in the 1970s aren't comparable to the poor of the 1940's or the poor of the 1870's. Poor is poor by the comparable living standards of your country, day and age. A poor person in today's UK is not going to be comparable against a poor person in today's Ethiopia, but that doesn't mean they're not poor.

Kids today have nice cars because they live at their parent's homes, or they buy them on finance. Most of the things you mention are pretty much essentials in today's lifestyle and in actual fact are relatively cheap if you don't want to go top of the line.

I have a phone, a PC, a laptop, a couple of tvs, an old car, several guns, but I'm not wealthy. Actually I'm earning about the same as I was over a decade ago. The only thing is that my rent, food costs, beer prices, petrol and everything else have increased. Funnily enough that time period coincides with the time Tony Blair and Gordon Brown decided not to restrict immigration from Poland and allowed hordes of cheap labour to come into the UK. So don't tell me that being a part of the EU has been great for me because it hasn't. Maybe it's worked for you, and if so I can understand your viewpoint, but similarly you should understand the viewpoint of those that it hasn't worked for.

It's the very simple law of supply and demand. If you have more workers available than there are jobs then you can cut wages, or at least pay the minimum, knowing that if you have a high turnover of staff there is always going to be an available pool of replacements to step into those jobs. If however the pool of workers is smaller then you have to attempt to retain your staff through good wages and working conditions because if you lose staff they will be harder to replace and your business will suffer.

Irrespective of that the article and posted material below clearly shows that poverty has increased since joining the EU. Wrap it up however you like but it doesn't change the facts that more and more people are being classified as poor and many are relying on government subsidies to maintain a standard of living above the breadline.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/poverty-and-wealth-across-britain-1968-2005

"Figure 2 charts the national proportions of poverty and wealth at each time period. The proportions of households that were core poor and breadline poor declined during the 1970s, but then increased again during the 1980s. The 1990s saw the two poverty measures diverge, with the breadline poor continuing to rise, and the core poor falling to around 11 per cent of households. In 2000, more than a quarter of households were breadline poor."

c406d0b567bd7db0d14b035c61dd8a83.png

It may not have been for you , but it has been for 99% of the population. Think of what you have today , all the luxuary goods , cars , hoildays abroad, and so on. Only the well off back in those days had such luxuary goods. In the early 70s I was working in a supermarket 5 1\2 days a week for £5.50p a week. £3.00 rent for my bed sit and £2.00 for food left little left over the things we take for granted today. A box of cartridges had to be saved for , Eley Impax were 90P almost a fifth of my weeks wage. Mind you a pint of larger beer was 10P , but we used to drink mild at a penny cheaper. As for the price of houses the blame for that lies with successive UK govenments not puting the money into house building and removing a huge amount from the council housing stock. Not that I am knocking selling council houses I bought mine, you were a fool not to, but the money was never put back into fresh housing.

So the wealth we enjoy today is a direct result of being in the EU?