Making a rowing machine harder/increasing resistance

scotslad

Alright folks.

Bit of a random question for u.

Is there any way to make a rowing machine harder?

I've had it quite a few years ago and was not a cheap one but i made the mistake off not paying the 'real' money and buying a Concept 2.

It was a fairly high end but with eltro magnetic tensioners/resistance controls.

I'm quite a big bloke with strong shoulders/back/legs so it's always been on the max resistance, ow i can do 20 mins at a prety quick pace (80 spm, or atleast i think its quickish) and not be tired sweating much,

But i'm not wot i would call fit.

Is there any way to increase the magnestic resistance? (Must admit i've never noticed that much difference form the lowest setting anyway)

In the past i tried bicking/raising the back end up so i'm effectively rowing up hill, not sure it made any difference but after a lot of use there was minute cracks in the aluminium runners, so i've welded up some steel ones that seem to do the job ok, althu don't look very pretty.

Will raising 1 end make much difference if i done ot again? And how much would u have to raise it to get any benefit? (i think with treadmills u don't need a massive incline to increase the hardness)

Concept 2 machines are fantastic.

Rowing is about power, not speed.

What you need to concentrate is your 'split' time; this is how long it takes to row 500m.

To get the most out of a rowing machine, you need to use good technique and go slow and steady with a lot of power, not speed. Split times are the best way of measuring this as the more power you put out, the 'faster' you will move through the water and the faster you will cover the 500m. Note - this isn't the speed that you 'row' at, its the speed your boat would be moving at, were it in the water.

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos covers the basic technique.

When you row quickly, you keep the momentum up on the fly wheel, which makes it easier, this is cheating. I can't remember the strokes-per-minute average I used to train to, but it wasn't anywhere near that the average punter in the gym would be at. RPM was 45 I think.

I would train in the gym for 45 mins at a time, and would be rowing slower than most of the people to either side of me with resistance at about 4 [same as water] (big guys would rock up and make a big deal about ramming the resistance up to 10 and then pulling away for 5 mins), yet I would be putting out way more power and covering a lot more distance. My split time was a lot better than theirs and I could keep it up all day.

Edited by iano

But the problem is there is next to no resistance.

Do u not need some resisance in order to get use power to pull against?

I've only ever used the Concept 2, so I'm not sure about your machine but as I said above, it's not about the resistance, it is about the power you are putting out.

People mix up the 'speed' they are rowing at with their effectiveness. They are not the same and usually inversely related unless you have a solid technique.

Slow down the pull, really slow it down, don't go above 40 RPM, but match the technique in the video above, and see if your split time will hold at <2:40 over 8 minutes, while keeping the pace down.

You should be feeling it by then... if you aren't, then give these guys a call.

Buy a concept2

I will try to dig out the details of where I got mine, secondhand, and they were very reasonable.

Not been using mine so much lately but I was doing a fair amount.

Went from never having used one (even when playing rugby and training full time!) To rowing the equivalent of 2 marathons a week. One 27 mile session and the rest split into shorter ones. All within less than 3 months.

Like you I am not small but it also seems I have very good technique. Maximum resistance or I lose shape and consistency.

Slow pace of around 30 spm but keeping that constant for a couple of hours.

That was all trying to achieve good marathon times but for training it would mix it up between a few 500m sprints and some extended sprints keeping my pace up for as long as possible.

Anyway, I digress.

No idea on how to increase the resistance on your machine but would definitely just recommend buying a C2.

Edd

I think i'm the same as ed above.

I thought i had quite a good technique in the gym usin the concept's althou i always prefered a 10-15 mi blast than a longer duration.

But i think my technique is all to pot now and i find it hard to get it going again when there's little resistance.

Sort of the same as trying to keep pace on a push bike if ur always in the lowest gear ur legs end up going round like crazy

I've got it taken down the now as i was tripping over it, i'll have another go concenrating more on the power.

I knew when i bought it i should of spent the extra and got a 2nd hand concept but a lot of them were over 1k, but saying that my 1 wasn't cheap either and it has been ok and had a fair bit of use

The old sayings as true for excercise stuff as it is for optics/rifles... Buy right buy once.

The moveable bar or notch (whatever it is) does not adjust the resistance of a C2 tower, but instead adjusts how much air is allowed in through the fan (that is if you have a fan powered one).

From what I read the resistance is entirely down to how hard you pull. Instead of having a fast weak pull put lots of effort into it?

When I tried to focus on this my spm weren't as quick but the amount of meters covered per stroke increased.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/how-to-row-harder

No idea about yours, some of the cheap ones use friction to increase resistance and they just wear out so the adjuster doesn't seem to do anything.

If you can't tell the difference between high and low then you must have bionic legs or the machine is knackered.

Get a waterrower, the stronger you pull, the harder it gets (ooo err, etc)

Ask Ditchy to get you a length of fat Sarah's knicker elastic.

That should give you a fair bit of resistance!

Surely, according to Ditchy, Fat Sarah's knicker elastic had little or no resistance.

I like rowing, I like cycling but a 27 mile session on a rower!!!!!!

Respect to you edd Oakley you must get through some box sets.

Not so much box sets as, well, other sets at the gym.

3 hours at a time could often see lots of different sets.

Edd