Would you pay to see your GP ?

Cranfield

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only ever saw her professionally so wouldn't know!

:good:

Without meaning to divert the subject but are EU nationals afforded the right to register with a GP based on EU law or the fact they have an NI number and pay into the system? - I know whenever i have worked abroad i have had to pay hard ££ to access 'routine' medical appointments and then had to claim it back from the NHS - no reprecorical free arrangement their end in some of the EU countries i have worked in

Edited by ph5172

Had a 10.15 appointment for blood test prior to consult with cardiologist, which I'm waiting to hear about, last friday.

A chap in front of me booked in and I overheard his appointment for blood test was 10.20.

At 10.30 the other chap was called in before me and he left at 10.35.

By 10.45 I had to tell the receptionist that I couldn't wait any longer because I had to drive my wife to her work.

The other surgery in town is not taking on new patients so I think I'll give it a miss. If I die I die, that's life.

I would not be happy to pay extra because I've already paid.

It would be paying for political mismanagement anyway and NI will still go to paying off millions in interest for failed PFI at 13-14% instead of 7% at normal government borrowing rates just to keep debt "off-books".

I'm sure it will come though because the CONservatives won't want to put up direct tax so they will tax us at the GP's door instead.

It's an interesting idea and one in which I can see the good and bad, but I think until we find the root cause and solutions to the problems of the NHS, ( which are manyfold ) it would simply be yet another waste of money. A bit like opening the tap to compensate for the leak.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought paid mine during my entire working life. Are they really suggesting that I should pay twice or will I get a rebate on the payments I have already made.

It would be make your mind up time. Either you want a private insurance health scheme or you want the NHS. In my view the NHS along with EDUCATION and our MILITARY should be top priorities. I am all for helping our own citizens but I see perfectly able people walk into the post office and draw benefits when they really should not be having them. There is a huge amount of waste. It needs someone with true industrial ability to get in and do some pruning first off. Then cut all this awful waste called Foreign Aid.

I have a private healthcare scheme through my work, but still have to visit the GP, which can prove difficult.

I believe the people that take most from our healthcare system are those who don't pay in! I know of folk round where I live get dished out prescription after prescription - many that they don't need! The waste is phenomenal! I bet this costs several million each year. Did anyone see the programme about the fattest man in Britain a few years back? The amount of money he cost us was staggering! Just getting the pig from his house to the hospital must have cost thousands!

Aside from the fact that I pay for my NHS treatment, via taxation etc, it just smacks of greed. GPs are funded, in part, by you having registered with them. They get a fee if they never see you. Now they want a fee for seeing you.

GPs get paid whatever and handsomely at that.

Health tourism, and allowing people who have just arrived to live here have the full services of the NHS for free need addesssing before we should start looking at charging our own.

Min 15 years paying tax before you qualify and then 15 more to bring a dependent in (subject to clean health on arrival) should sort it . Anyone who doubts this should pop down to any big city hospital and see for themselves .

Edit : that and outlawing first cousin marriage to try and stem the tide of children being born with preventable genetic defects, often fatal or requiring life long intensive health care.

Edited by pegasus bridge

We doubled the fee's for our licenes,Did improve the service,I Don't think so.

Fine those that cannot be bothered to rurn up.

It will probably make them argue about the cancellation fee,saying they did phone in or were too sick to get there,,rubbish,,nearly every one has a mobile,no excuse..

Routine appointments at our surgery run at 6 weeks +, 'Emergency' 1 or 2 days

They have just improved the system where they have a triage system run by a doctor/nurse who will after a call back decide if its an emergency and / or can be sorted by a prescription over the phone.

This came about after a few complains in regard to the receptionists telling people they only needed a routine appointment - our local MP asked all local surgeries what medical training their reception team had, those that replied - the highest was First Aid at Work

i really like the comment about fining people who don't turn up, I don't like the idea of paying for a visit, but I really like the idea of paying to use A&E especially if the reason you are there is drink or drug related, it all follows on about how much responsibility should the public have and how much should the government have.

I believe anybody that partakes in risky sports and other activities should have a private health/injury policy to cover themselves and reduce the nhs burden, I would include cyclists as some think nothing of blowing £2k on a bike, so a policy wouldn't be a big deal, I have a comprehensive shooting policy and many other policies for my protection, it seems only natural for a parachutist to take out a policy.

If the government announced a fee, I would accept it and pay it, but I feel that it should be foreign aid that needs looking at.

It's the dole wallers and benefit fraudsters that keep them in business.Ive worked all my life (now 55)and can count the times I've seen a doctor on one hand.However the last time I tried to make an appointment,I was told 'nearly two weeks'.Do I want to pay? ******** to that.If I wanted to pay I'd be in Bupa,we will be paying the Fire service to put our burning houses out next.Place is getting more and more that that **** pit over the water,you know the one.Its the one ran by Willy Wonker,the USA.

Seems some are willing to pay just to see their GP.However the 1st signs of having to pay them a fee at renewal time and the toys get flung out the pram.

Edited by Davyo

I had to go to hospital for an outpatient visit and I was shocked by the amount of fat overweight people who were in the hospital. And what were they doing? All of them were stuffing food or sugar drinks in their mouths.

They probably work there from my experience

Edited by Sussexboy

Routine appointments at our surgery run at 6 weeks +, 'Emergency' 1 or 2 days

I don't understand that; do you mean you can mAke appointments in advance? At our surgery non urgent appointments have to booked on that day; we can't for example ring up on Friday and make one for the following Monday to suit work patterns etc.

Back on topic I'm all for fining those who don't turn up or who find themselves in A&E on a weekend after binging on the booze, but that again is another can of worms as chronic alcoholics will obviously be in no position to pay and more than likely have enough to deal with.

I would like my surgery to revert to the old system of no appointments . They used to open from 08.am untill 6 pm . You turned up and waited to see a doctor as they became available . It worked perfectly .no missed appointments as there were none . It seems that the doctors don't want to work a full week any more . Our surgery closes every Tuesday afternoons for "staff training " why carnt they train staff in the evenings ,they also close every day for an hour lunch . Surely they could stagger the lunch break so that patients can be seen . By closing Tuesday afternoon the patients are missing out on at least 24 appointments X 5 doctors , discusting.

Harnser

Health tourism, and allowing people who have just arrived to live here have the full services of the NHS for free need addesssing before we should start looking at charging our own.

Min 15 years paying tax before you qualify and then 15 more to bring a dependent in (subject to clean health on arrival) should sort it . Anyone who doubts this should pop down to any big city hospital and see for themselves .

Edit : that and outlawing first cousin marriage to try and stem the tide of children being born with preventable genetic defects, often fatal or requiring life long intensive health care.

Having had to spend time in A&E several times in the past year with my elderly mother I can certainly vouch for this being true. The thing was most of the people waiting to be seen didn't have anything visibly wrong with them. They weren't throwing up in a bucket or limping etc.

I do believe a lot of people there were just using it as a walk in centre for non urgent complaints

Edited by Vince Green

I believe anybody that partakes in risky sports and other activities should have a private health/injury policy to cover themselves and reduce the nhs burden, I would include cyclists as some think nothing of blowing £2k on a bike, so a policy wouldn't be a big deal,

I assume you would extend this to motorists and motorcyclists - plenty of serious injuries with either. Perhaps a levy on those who live in a deprived area - they might be more likely to be mugged and injured. We could include joggers, gym fanatics and those who go for a night out. Then again - most accidents happen at home - perhaps yet another policy required.

There is enough money in the NHS for those who pay into the system and have a genuine right to treatment. A massive problem is the drain caused by those who should not be in hospital or even the country.

I assume you would extend this to motorists and motorcyclists - plenty of serious injuries with either. Perhaps a levy on those who live in a deprived area - they might be more likely to be mugged and injured. We could include joggers, gym fanatics and those who go for a night out. Then again - most accidents happen at home - perhaps yet another policy required.

There is enough money in the NHS for those who pay into the system and have a genuine right to treatment. A massive problem is the drain caused by those who should not be in hospital or even the country.

+1 my personal favorite is the Sunday afternoon footballers

Spent 4 hours waiting in A&E on Friday sat next to a chubby little kid with a splinter in her finger but worse than that was the fact that her Mum was sat next to her - A Nurse!!! That aside I can see that with an average earning of a tad below £100K many doctors must truly be struggling.

Bang on ,

Flynny

A small charge for all is a way of raising further income to support those who pay nothing.

I have a comprehensive shooting policy and many other policies for my protection, it seems only natural for a parachutist to take out a policy.

The point with shooting insurance is to protect your interests if you shoot someone, not yourself. :hmm::whistling:

Edited by Gordon R

Remember a bloke being flown in with his son who lived here.

He brought him from abroad with a severe Hernia,could not get it done in country of origin..

Went stright from the airport to A E.

It was considered Serious,and was operated on the same day..

When better flew back home,who got kicked out that day to make room for him..

Makes your blood boil..

Never put a penny in..

Wished I was in charge,he wouldn't have made seeing the doctor,let alone anything else..