Sainsbury's - British vs Scottish

AVB

Noticed in Sainsbury's today that they had some chickens marked as Scottish and others as British. The same with Raspberries. Why not all label all of them as British or if they want to differentiate then label them as Scottish or English?

It seems an anti English agenda to me.

I have asked them a question on Social Media. Be interesting to see what answer I get.

I suspect it is Scottish producers pandering to a certain demographic, but of course the product will be sold across the board.

Some produce is renowned for its origin, Scottish raspberries are widely considered to be among the very best in the world because our cooller & wetter summers suit the fruit. That woukd support a Scottish brand mark.

I suspect it is Scottish producers pandering to a certain demographic, but of course the product will be sold across the board.

Some produce is renowned for its origin, Scottish raspberries are widely considered to be among the very best in the world because our cooller & wetter summers suit the fruit. That woukd support a Scottish brand mark.

But it's Sainsbury's who do the labelling not the producers. And I have no problem with products as being labelled from Scotland but then English products should be labelled from England, not Britain.

But it's Sainsbury's who do the labelling not the producers. And I have no problem with products as being labelled from Scotland but then English products should be labelled from England, not Britain.

I misunderstood. Sometimes there does seem to be a reluctance to celebrate or promote England/Englishness as a brand and that is sad.

Incredibly I got this response from Sainsbury's. Some poor employee has to monitor their Facebook messages on a Saturday night!

Hi there. We use the Union flag on our packaging to denote British products. Our consumer research shows that the Union flag has a wider and stronger message than the St. George’s Cross when applied to English products. Our research also showed that for products from Scotland the Saltire has much more meaning regarding its place of origin for both our Scottish and English customers. We're hopefully going to carry out further consumer research in future to continue to monitor our customers’ preferences regarding our labeling. Chris.

Do I interpret that as them being afraid to refer to English?

No ... consumers value the Scottish origins of some products, therefore they promote them that way.

100% to do with increasing sales, 0% to do with anti English.

Doesn't work that way with me. I would buy an English (British) chicken over a Scottish one. Less food miles involved.

The British one could be from Ireland??

It could but I suspect if it was then it would have been labeled as Irish in the same way that the Scottish one was. I think in Sainsbury's eyes England = British whereas Scottish = Scottish, Welsh = Welsh etc.

Sometimes there does seem to be a reluctance to celebrate or promote England/Englishness as a brand and that is sad.

Everyone at the office always makes a big song and dance about St. Patrick's day, but St. George's day would pass un-noticed unless I made a fuss about it every year. Sad, but it DOES seem to me that people are afraid to celebrate being English. Maybe it's something to do with the far right hijacking the flag?

Everyone at the office always makes a big song and dance about St. Patrick's day, but St. George's day would pass un-noticed unless I made a fuss about it every year. Sad, but it DOES seem to me that people are afraid to celebrate being English. Maybe it's something to do with the far right hijacking the flag?

What 'far right' would that be?

In fact, what exactly is the 'far right' in this country?

It's a term all too readily thrown around by politicians and media in this country (and elsewhere) with very little substance to back it up.

Maybe it's something to do with the far right hijacking the flag?

but it DOES seem to me that people are afraid to celebrate being English

My opinion is it's the far left namby pamby, snowflake politically correct that deter people from doing it.

Soon as you fly the Union Jack your classed racist.. :rolleyes:

Are but my sons made to celebrate St. George's day but no mention on St Davids day!

Sainsbury's are only interested in sales if food wrappers sold more with pink flowers on it they'd do it anything to make more cash.