Wasps

old'un

Wasps

Usually at this time of year they are around the bins, coming into the house looking for food and attacking the last few bits of fruit in the garden, but this year I have seen none.

Just wondered if anyone else as noticed a decline in wasps in the last few years.

Funnily enough I saw/disturbed a lot of overwintering queens last winter/this spring, but I have not seen many wasps about this summer and there are not many about now....when as you say, usually there are lots about at this time of year!

Some years there are more. Some less.

I put it down to the spring weather. If the queen's first nest gets drowned, she may get started again but will be that much later developing, so smaller at the time of queen cell production. It may 'knock on' into the next year.

This usually only affects ground nesting wasps, not the ones in uour roof space!

Something is chewing apples to a shell, so they are about. Not seen any troubling the bees this year - yet.

We have a lot of fruit in our garden and the absence of wasps has been very evident.

Most years we have had to get a nest removed from the loft, or the garage.

We also usually get only one or two bumble bee nests down mouse holes, but this year we have found five.

Also more butterflies than usual.

There never seems a logical reason for these population trends.

Theres been a good few going into the ferret hutch getting a free fed on the carcasses ive jars with jam in them scattered about but caught none and it really pees me off that somebody could have a nest in there garden and do nothing about it , then i opened the shed door and there's a small nest on the roof but after removing it , there was no sign of life

We have a lot of fruit in our garden and the absence of wasps has been very evident.

We also usually get only one or two bumble bee nests down mouse holes, but this year we have found five.

Just wondering if Badgers are part of their decline as we do have a large population of Badgers in the area and on my walks over the last couple of years I have found lots of wasp nests dugout by Badgers.

Brexit 😮

We had a pest controller around a few days ago to deal with a rat problem. He said that normally wasps are their biggest reasons for calls at this time of year. However, this year they have had very few. Also I have noticed less 'bugs' around in general and probably,!coincidently, less bats also.

I had a lot of queen wasps 'emerging' in the spring - and expected a bad wasp season. However I have to agree there are less than usual. I have also seen (far) less butterflies than usual unfortunately, but have seen more humming bird moths than ever before. There were also a lot of solitary bees (miner bees) in the spring.

In addition, it is my impression that the leaves seem to be dropping early this year.

Just wondering if Badgers are part of their decline as we do have a large population of Badgers in the area and on my walks over the last couple of years I have found lots of wasp nests dugout by Badgers.

We have Badgers flying now do we ???

Dont want to be around when they unload.

I had a lot of queen wasps 'emerging' in the spring - and expected a bad wasp season. However I have to agree there are less than usual. I have also seen (far) less butterflies than usual unfortunately, but have seen more humming bird moths than ever before. There were also a lot of solitary bees (miner bees) in the spring.

In addition, it is my impression that the leaves seem to be dropping early this year.

Yep, as you say its early, trees here are shedding leaves like confetti, old boy I know said its going to-be a hard winter, we will see.

Bees give us honey

Wasps give us Marmite?

Wasps are a gardeners friend, they kill thousand of bugs during the summer but are a bloody pest come autumn.

I heard that it was the heavy rain that drowned all the nests / queens out.

I heard this also, successively warmer wetter winters are- as you say - flooding nests.

I use to get stung quite a bit in my line of work, didn't get stung at all last year and only once this year, noticeably less wasps around fallen fruit too.