Halal

Benthejockey

There's a Daily Fail article doing the rounds on Face Ache regarding supermarket meat being Halal with the exception of Morrisons. Now I'm not entirely sure about the authenticity of the article and as always there's potential for The Fail to use poetic license. There's the associated tripe with people sharing being outraged and screaming to have it banned and removed from the shelves, how dare supermarkets sell meat slaughtered like this, boycott these supermarkets blah blah blah. Now personally I don't generally buy a lot of meat from the supermarket and we do a good bit of home slaughter when the weather gets colder, where everything gets a direct injection of lead to the brain. And we also eat a lot of stuff I shoot. People want cheap meat and that is what the supermarkets can provide then they moan that they don't like the way in which the cheap meat is killed? I don't understand quite what the general public actually want? Why would supermarkets not stock Halal slaughtered meat? If they didn't it would cut out a large section of their customer base. They don't like the idea of Halal but it is legal so I don't see the issue? I guarantee Joe Bloggs does not walk into Asda and think oh I do hope this bacon was electrocuted before they slit its throat? Or I wonder if these 3 for £10 chickens went through a stunner first.

I'm not really sure the point I'm actually trying to make I'm just irritable I think 😂

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no strong opinions on this; the animal should be humanely killed, but I'm not qualified to know if halal is humane/inhumane. Therefore - allowing that it is legal, I personally have no objections.

IF it was proved to be inhumane, then I would suggest that it should be banned.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I have no problem with halal meat being offered so customers get the choice and can decide with their own conscience. What I do disagree with is halal meat being used in restaurants, schools etc so everyone gets it just to cater for a minority.

Similar with all this fad for gluten free, dairy free, allergen free etc. Where I work certain foods are banned for everyone just because there is a few people with allergies. Wrong approach. If you can't drink milk, try water, if you can't eat nuts try raisins. Far too much pandering to a few to the detriment of the rest of us normal people.

The way I understand it (but I may be wrong) is that during slaughter of halal meat the animal must not suffer. I believe the people who carry out the practice are very experienced in doing so.

There cannot be any game shooter who could be opposed to it given that pricked birds is an unfortunate occurrence that one has to accept.

There was something on the telly the wife was watching about nuts on planes being banned, at first you think don't be silly, but they were saying with the air being recycled particles get in the air with could seriously affect people with allergies, so for the sake of a plane journey sure ban them.

As for halal meat I'm not that concerned I just don't think it should be in tiny print hidden, someone posted something on here a while back about the high standards we have in this country which is why buying meat at the butchers is dearer than Tesco etc. Joe public just wants meat, most folk probably don't look where it came from ir how it lived/died just price.

There was something on the telly the wife was watching about nuts on planes being banned, at first you think don't be silly, but they were saying with the air being recycled particles get in the air with could seriously affect people with allergies, so for the sake of a plane journey sure ban them.

As for halal meat I'm not that concerned I just don't think it should be in tiny print hidden, someone posted something on here a while back about the high standards we have in this country which is why buying meat at the butchers is dearer than Tesco etc. Joe public just wants meat, most folk probably don't look where it came from ir how it lived/died just price.

After being recycled around the planes engines the air is pretty poor anyway.

We have strict humane regulations in the UK as far as slaughtering is concerned. Prior to killing, the animal must be stunned so that it feels no pain.

With halal slaughter, the animal is not stunned it just has its throat cut and bleeds it to death. The argument, backed up by many, including the Farm Animal Welfare Council, say this method of killing causes the animal severe suffering, as they are still conscious and therefore feel pain. It seems to me that if it wasn't for the religious connotations such slaughtering methods would be banned.

Regrettably, the supermarkets and slaughter houses find it financially beneficial to have all their meat slaughtered halal rather than some halal and some by the standard method.

It's about time such practices were stopped.

I should also have added that in law, the exemption for halal slaughter clearly stipulates that animals killed by the halal method must, and I quote.....

• the meat must be intended for consumption by Jews or Muslims
Edited by CharlieT

It should in my opinion at the very least be labelled so an informed opinion can be made, also in my view, mass slaughtered animals should be killed in the most humane maker avalible, the research says halal killed meat is not that.

We have strict humane regulations in the UK as far as slaughtering is concerned. Prior to killing, the animal must be stunned so that it feels no pain.

With halal slaughter, the animal is not stunned it just has its throat cut and bleeds it to death. The argument, backed up by many, including the Farm Animal Welfare Council, say this method of killing causes the animal severe suffering, as they are still conscious and therefore feel pain. It seems to me that if it wasn't for the religious connotations such slaughtering methods would be banned.

Regrettably, the supermarkets and slaughter houses find it financially beneficial to have all their meat slaughtered halal rather than some halal and some by the standard method.

+1

the jews have bewen killing meat this way for ever but because they own the media thats acceptable :lol:

Not all the media....that,s a Ken Livingston myth.....

Im completely against halal meat and wish the general public would give more thought to where their food comes from, sounds like a good thing to me.

and me !

I have no problem with halal meat being offered so customers get the choice and can decide with their own conscience. What I do disagree with is halal meat being used in restaurants, schools etc so everyone gets it just to cater for a minority.

Similar with all this fad for gluten free, dairy free, allergen free etc. Where I work certain foods are banned for everyone just because there is a few people with allergies. Wrong approach. If you can't drink milk, try water, if you can't eat nuts try raisins. Far too much pandering to a few to the detriment of the rest of us normal people.

Correct!

Go back 50 years or so - Reckon they stunned animals then? It's the way food has been harvested for more years than I care to remember - Get's heavily hijacked by people using the religious slant for yet another reason to have a go.

If you eat takeaway or restaurant curry, kebabs, chicken, etc, etc you're eating halal meat.

If you're only eating what you shoot, you'd better have killed it straight away or was it stunned beforehand?

Go back 50 years or so - Reckon they stunned animals then? It's the way food has been harvested for more years than I care to remember - Get's heavily hijacked by people using the religious slant for yet another reason to have a go.

If you eat takeaway or restaurant curry, kebabs, chicken, etc, etc you're eating halal meat.

If you're only eating what you shoot, you'd better have killed it straight away or was it stunned beforehand?

My issue with it is that it's not wild game harvested in small numbers for the table, it's a mass industrial operation and that in my book should mean the animals are killed in the most humane way possible which halal isn't, back when the quaran was written, it stipulated animals be killed avoiding suffering, halal meat was the best way to achieve that then, it's not now.

This is also my view.

I think you should look up what Halal slaughtered means first before coming to an opinion.

Halal does not necessarily mean non stunned and Jews do not eat Halal they eat Kosher which is quite different.

Any method of slaughter can cause suffering if not done correctly, that is what I object to.

I think you should look up what Halal slaughtered means first before coming to an opinion.

Halal does not necessarily mean non stunned and Jews do not eat Halal they eat Kosher which is quite different.

Any method of slaughter can cause suffering if not done correctly, that is what I object to.

That's splitting hairs, halal requires to the best of my knowledge the animal to be conscious so the stun will be milder also, why not make it law to stun if most halal meat is stunned anyway, it also means millions of animals aren't stunned and can take 20s to minutes to die, why not take the most humane approach possible, as a Hunter that is always my objective.

The way I understand it (but I may be wrong) is that during slaughter of halal meat the animal must not suffer. I believe the people who carry out the practice are very experienced in doing so.

There cannot be any game shooter who could be opposed to it given that pricked birds is an unfortunate occurrence that one has to accept.

An "unfortunate occurrence" and a deliberate act are two entirely different things! I strongly object to us bowing down to the wishes of a minority! Let them set up their own abbatoirs!

Having your throat cut whilst conscious isn,t suffering? It,s what ISIS do to prisoners!

I'm not trying to play devils advocate here, but I genuinely don't think I'm in any position to object.

Of course I think that it's only humane to stun animals before slaughter, but I also kill living creatures not because I need to to survive, but for leisure.

I do my utmost to see that suffering is kept to a minimum, but we all know what the outcome can be; and while I don't deliberately set out to cause suffering, on those occasions it does happen, I don't object to it to the extent it would stop me shooting.

I don't really feel entirely comfortable condemning one while condoning another.

The ones that really kick off about it are normally the ones that buy cheap sausages and bacon made with dutch pork. So keeping an animal in a small stall, in the dark, on metal grids all its life is more acceptable than halal slaughter??

No, it,s not! And the Dutch are supposed to follow EU rules on animal welfare, but like the rest of the EU farmers, they do as they please! It,s only British farmers who have to comply!

I should also have added that in law, the exemption for halal slaughter clearly stipulates that animals killed by the halal method must, and I quote.....

• the meat must be intended for consumption by Jews or Muslims

Correct!

I keep well away from ethnic take-aways and restaurants...my former business partner,s sister worked for Public Health in one of our large Northern cities..............none of her extended family EVER ate in one of these places. After listening to her, neither do mine! After a terrorist outrage, what goes into your takeaway isn,t what,s on the menu card......

My issue with it is that it's not wild game harvested in small numbers for the table, it's a mass industrial operation and that in my book should mean the animals are killed in the most humane way possible which halal isn't, back when the quaran was written, it stipulated animals be killed avoiding suffering, halal meat was the best way to achieve that then, it's not now.

Right!

That's splitting hairs, halal requires to the best of my knowledge the animal to be conscious so the stun will be milder also, why not make it law to stun if most halal meat is stunned anyway, it also means millions of animals aren't stunned and can take 20s to minutes to die, why not take the most humane approach possible, as a Hunter that is always my objective.

Dead right!

I keep well away from ethnic take-aways and restaurants...my former business partner,s sister worked for Public Health in one of our large Northern cities..............none of her extended family EVER ate in one of these places. After listening to her, neither do mine! After a terrorist outrage, what goes into your takeaway isn,t what,s on the menu card......

Right!

Dead right!

I daren't ask :whistling::hmm:

As far as I understand it, the majority in this country are NOT from a background where religious rubbish dictates how an animal is killed! The only reason this practise has not been stopped, is because our 2 largest political parties are frightened of losing the ethnic vote!

Whilst that might offend the PC brigade, its sadly true IMO :sad1:

I used to work in a kosher butchers in Wembley in the 1980's, kosher meat is bled in the same way as halal meat and "koshered" is rested in salty water, effectively kosher meat is slaughtered the same way as halal and would incur any suffering that halal does, but as you say a lot of halal meat is now stunned before being bled, not sure the Jewish community do the same,

My dad was an rspca inspector and had a captive bolt gun for putting cattle to sleep in the 60's but was taught to get a stick and have a good poke about in the hole the bolt gun left to ensure that it was dead which suggests that a stun gun might not be as effective as we think at stopping brain patterns and pain