Monarch Airlines in Admin

Snoozer

Woke up to find this top story on the news.

Feel for those effected especially loosing their jobs and all the customers.

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/

Woke up to find this top story on the news.

Feel for those effected especially loosing their jobs and all the customers.

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/

My son and his wife were due to fly out today.

How did Monarch go into administration in the early hours of the Sunday night/Monday morning? Do KPMG (their administrators) work 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week? I don't imagine it is like closing down a corner shop? Surely the process had to start long before the announcement was made? Which begs the question.....if the company can go bust overnight, why were passengers not informed? And why were they still being told to turn up at the airport at 6 and 7 o clock this morning?

From what I understand it had to happen at 4am as at that time they had no planes in the air. If it had happened with flights in the air then they wouldnt have had a license for those flights and it would caus further issues. BBC news said monarch couldnt warn people beforehand, I assume again for legal reasons.

How did Monarch go into administration in the early hours of the Sunday night/Monday morning? Do KPMG (their administrators) work 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week? I don't imagine it is like closing down a corner shop? Surely the process had to start long before the announcement was made? Which begs the question.....if the company can go bust overnight, why were passengers not informed? And why were they still being told to turn up at the airport at 6 and 7 o clock this morning?

Dont know, but it was announced on the BBC world service that they went into admin at 3am. Holiday passengers were told on the 5.00 am news not to turn up at the airport.

My wife was due to fly back from Cyprus tonight on a Monarch flight. She had an email about 04.00 bst this morning telling her to check the caa website and that a replacement flight had been scheduled.

Based on the level of planning to set up the website and organise a new flight, I'd say the caa and administrators were well aware that the airline was going into administration.

When large companies go into administration the administrators will be working through the night to see if any last minute deals can be done. And sometimes they do. It was a possibility for weeks so a lot of prep work would have been done but until all options and offers have been considered then there is always a possibility that a buyer will come through at the last minute.

Due to fly to tenerife on 17 november,looks like its a no no :sad1:

My daughter was booked to fly out and join us there in December, fortunately she paid by credit card and has already started the refund procedure.

She has booked a replacement flight with Jet2, which has turned out to be cheaper than the Monarch flight.

I am now keeping my fingers crossed that they remain solvent.

When large companies go into administration the administrators will be working through the night to see if any last minute deals can be done. And sometimes they do. It was a possibility for weeks so a lot of prep work would have been done but until all options and offers have been considered then there is always a possibility that a buyer will come through at the last minute.

They would have gone into admin when all flights were on the ground as their CAA liscence would be void ,effectively flying without insurane etc .

My daughter was booked to fly out and join us there in December, fortunately she paid by credit card and has already started the refund procedure.

She has booked a replacement flight with Jet2, which has turned out to be cheaper than the Monarch flight.

I am now keeping my fingers crossed that they remain solvent.

Ours was paid for by the friends we were going with using a credit card,we just repaid them with cash,hopefully we will get our money back

Ryan air pilots must be cursing their luck. Rather than being able to negotiate improved working conditions they may have to take a hit.

Not unless the Monarch guys are very very desperate. For a start they are typed on the wrong aircraft (airbus as opposed to Ryanair's 737's) and there are plenty of Airbus positions out there. Easyjet have offered recruitment for Captains and Virgin are looking for co-pilots. Then there are the $18,000 monthly contracts in China, Emirates are desperate in the Middle East. Hence the reason Ryanair is struggling as everyone is leaving.

Edited by Laird Lugton