Storm Ophelia

FairImogen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird light and deep orange Sun first thing in Cumbria.

Am sat in the Moss Trooper in Timperley now and clear blue skis and a lovely day.

Same here first thing and it's cleared up nicely now. Except we've got the wind. Quite exciting really.They're redoing the domestic properties' gas supply pipes and every few yards there's a gurt big 'ole surrounded by plastic barriers. Well, that was the plan. Just been to do a recce on the farm and had to dodge countless barriers which have left said 'oles unguarded and are doing their version of a Scottish Reel in the roads.

Made for an extraordinarily ride on my Motorcycle through Oxfordshire today. Warm wind, blue skies, then blood red sun through clouds, debris everywhere. The feel of the wind and the autumn colours reminded me of when we lived in Notthern California.

Hope everyone in Eire is safe.

My son and his family live in Tip Town Eire .... No buses ...Schools closed .... Dunns store closed ( They must be worried ). Here on the Wirral Red Sun and most unusual light.

The reason we have this odd light redish/orangy/pinky stuff....is not because of the colour of the dust from the sahara...it is the ammont of particulates that are in the air blocking the white light wave length ...but letting the red shift wave lenght thro..........

best explained.....

if you shine a torch thro a small fish tank full of clean water the torch light will appear white light as normal...................then introduce a handful of flour stir it up and shine the torch thro again....and the light from the torch will become red/orangy...the particulates deflecting/refracting the light...

many of you that are in their late 50's and 60's and beyond will remember the truly stunning sunsets we used to have....where folk used to put down what they were doing and go outside and wonder at the colours.....the sky would look to be onfire....red gold blue violet orange...white black streaks across the sky...............used to make the northern lights look pathetic..............

many of the industrial revelotion painters would paint / include these vistas in their canvases.................

all this disappeared with the advent of the clean air act....thus removing the majority of the particulates

sorry im being boring.. :lol:

Edited by ditchman

Just checked the forecast (XC) to see what to expect. It seems saturday could be worse wind wise. Is there the remains of another storm on the way?

I use XC, but find that their forecasts beyond 3 days are wildly either optimistic or pessimistic; I have often seem forecasts for very high wind, or many inches of rain 6-8 days away - only to have it revised to 'normal' limits as the day approaches.

Edited by JohnfromUK