Hearing aids

Fabhui

Both my parents are around the 70 mark and I'm noticing that their hearing is gradually getting worse and worse, especially my Dad's.

Whilst I'm off work recovering from surgery I'm going to take them to either Boots or Specsavers to take advantage of their free hearing tests that they do.

Does anyone have experience of either? Also what are they like when it comes to the hearing aids they have an offer?

I've also came across HearingDirect.com, anyone had any experience good or bad with these folks?

Any help, advice, recommendations, experience with these retailers would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, just thought I'd mention that my folks aren't entitled to free hearing aids etc on the NHS.

Both my parents are around the 70 mark and I'm noticing that their hearing is gradually getting worse and worse, especially my Dad's.

Whilst I'm off work recovering from surgery I'm going to take them to either Boots or Specsavers to take advantage of their free hearing tests that they do.

Does anyone have experience of either? Also what are they like when it comes to the hearing aids they have an offer?

I've also came across HearingDirect.com, anyone had any experience good or bad with these folks?

Any help, advice, recommendations, experience with these retailers would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, just thought I'd mention that my folks aren't entitled to free hearing aids etc on the NHS.

hello, why are your parents not entitled to free NHS hearing aids? i would check with their NHS surgery first unless they would prefer the ones you buy Hearing Direct etc, but do not forget it would be better to buy local like boots or a specsaver in case of a warranty or other issue,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I wear one in my left ear due to shooting i have no middle range in that ear , i either smile at you showing i never got what you said or go WHAT ? lol the wife loves that i love it when they go out and i can turn the telly up :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway i had a test years ago when i applied for a job and they put me in a sound booth the nurse says are you right handed i says yes she says how long you been shooting , the damage was irreparable then , I got a Nhs hearing aid and i could switch the direction from the front to the back and tone it down if i was in a crowd i loved it , Then they changed it to a digital one where all you got to do is put it in your ear i hate it never wear it . They called it in for a service and the nurse says its not even registering on the comp how much your using it :lol::lol: . Only thing good about it is the batteries fit the ferret collars and i am really over the top when my son accompanys me shooting he is never allowed to forget his ear defenders

To the OP,

You're almost certainly incorrect. I'm out of work following an accident/recovery and having been self employed find I'm entitled to, and receive nothing.

I went to my GP initially, had ears syringed twice over a couple of months - no improvement, After that I got referred to the audiology dept, got tested fairly quickly and fitted up with a behind the ear jobby = Wow what an improvement

All free of charge, including a 3 month supply of batteries and the little tube bits.

Boots etc etc prices start around £750 and go onwards and upwards, (Who new knew you can get hearing aids with Bluetooth that'll hook up to your phone #wicked)

I need to have two hearing aids due to my earlier life stupidity of not wearing ear protection either at work or when shooting , eventually at around the fifty year mark I had to get hearing aids . Free digital behind the ear type I could only ever wear one , if I had the two in made everything sound like I had my head in a metal bucket which after a short while drives you mad. The vanity thing about wearing aids soon wears off when you realise without them your deaf !! Two years ago I bit the bullet and bought the latest highest spec model I could find , yes it was expensive, yes they had a good profit of me BUT the difference was stunning , walking out of the shop was like an explosion of sound , I can wear the two with no problem and the difference between a decent digital aid free on the nhs and one you pay for is as huge as the cost .. With a sixty percent loss of hearing these hearing aids are a lifeline ...WEAR HEARING PROTECTION IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY AND YOUR HEARING ...

Moose Man. Please share details of hearing aids (make / model) and retailer.

I am interested because I now wear two NHS aids (result of 5 years in rock bands in the sixties) and suffer similar problems you have experienced of shrillness, head in bucket and can't hear a thing if I'm chewing!!

Thanks

Bob

I have two lemon AIDS free on the NHS . Very good they are as well . After I had them fitted and tuned I went for a pee in the hospital toilet . I couldn't believe how loud it was peeing in the toilet bowl . When I got into my truck to drive home I could hear the indicators ticking . I would stay away from the private hearing aid people they are rip off merchants. If you phone up boots and ask them how much they cost they won't tell you . The say that you need to,have a consultation first .

Harnser

Specsavers superb service. You parents will need a referall from their GP who will refer them to any NHS service provider such as Specsavers. No cost.

Mum aged 76 got her first hearing aids last month ,NHS behind the ear jobs FOC <batteries free too>.Made a huge difference to her and yes she was self concious but now is fine with them.And if she loses them theyre 99 quid to replace.Why Boots etc start from such a ludicrous price is beyond me.

The old length of the ear ones my grandad used to wear are even sold by Lidl from time to time for £8 pair .So yes get them to see their G.p and yes there,s now wrong with NHS hearing aids ,they are inconspicuous and work atb

Edited by clakk

I was very impressed with a bone conduction test kit i tried at a conference a few weeks back. The trial rig is on a pair of glasses frames and connects to iPhone by bluetooth for calls, music, adjusting settings, etc. If you go permenant there is a skull implant which communicates to a little box that sits over the top held on my a small magnet. The sound quality was utterly fantastic, if interested i think i have the name of the company somewhere.

Edit: not targeted at the vast majority of nhs patients.

Edited by Wb123

I was very impressed with a bone conduction test kit i tried at a conference a few weeks back. The trial rig is on a pair of glasses frames and connects to iPhone by bluetooth for calls, music, adjusting settings, etc. If you go permenant there is a skull implant which communicates to a little box that sits over the top held on my a small magnet. The sound quality was utterly fantastic, if interested i think i have the name of the company somewhere.

Edit: not targeted at the vast majority of nhs patients.

I am trying out a cheap Chinese bone conduction headphones with microphone.I don't get on with my hearing aids as the ear moulds make my ears ache after a few hours so I only wear them when I really have to.

The clarity of sound on the bone conduction is superb. The only downsides is the headband on the headphones is stainless steel and tends to slide easily and the microphone is clipped at the front so rear noises aren't covered, but due to ears not plugged I still have use of residual hearing in my ears.

I will stick some rubber band to the headband to stop it slipping to continue to use it.