House got broken into

WildCamper1982

Hello all,

Last week my house got broken into, luckily for the thieving tow rags no one was in. They ransacked my house turning it upside down inc kids bedrooms, stole pretty much everything of value except the tv’s and electronic gizmos which could be tracked. Unfortunately they took my safe which inside housed my shotgun cabinet keys. Obviously rang police etc, got doors secured, rang a master locksmith up to pick my gun cabinet and fit new locks.

I rang the police firearms liaison officer, which she stated I had to give my guns to a friend who had a SGC and all my ammo for at least 6 months. I was polite and complied with her wishes as it made sense just in case they tried to re-break in too try and get the guns, even tho the locks had been changed.

Just out of interest, has this happened to anyone else? Could I have objected? Is it a legal requirement to do as she stipulated? I just hope in 6 months I can get them back as it makes it a bit of a pain going out shooting especially wildfowling, luckily I have mates who I can borrow a gun for a flight when they go shooting with me or the last few months of the season would suck!

Thanks for your time

Iain 

Not happened to me and I am sorry you have suffered, but you are responsible for the security of your weapons and you appear to have done everything to reduce the risk.

Having had the house secured and the locks on your cabinet changed I think you would have had good reason to argue the point.

You have my sympathy too and I have seen it many many times. Can I ask if you have a house alarm fitted ?  I put a lot of faith in a GOOD house alarm. I have no doubt that there will be many posts condemning alarms, but in my experience, they work.  I think it may just pay to 'toe the party line' for now and move the guns out. That way you are showing willing to comply. I believe that there is no legislation to force you to move the guns, but I would leave it until January, then contact them again explaining the upgraded security arrangements, and ask if you can 'bring them home' again. I hope this will not ruin your festive period too much, but it does take time to get things sorted out.  It must be obvious to the Firearms Dept. that your gun security was up to scratch, as YOU still had the guns and ammo ! 

Some great advise Westly, unfortunately I haven’t got a alarm but yes will certainly be getting one now! Any noise going off extra is a good deterrent and bring attention to people nearby. I do have driveway lights, 3 outside security lights and a dummy alarm box on the garage. Was going to get a dog next year too but my wife is expecting our 3rd child now so the dog idea will have to be put on hold unfortunately. 2 kids, baby in a pram and a Rhodesian I can’t see the problem?

I caught two in my house couple months back , they left via the doors they had forced very scary stuff we heard foot steps as the dogs barked jumped out off bed ten seconds earlier and I wouldn't have been able to type this 

Police there with in five mins  must have been in the area they said couldn't have been my guns they were after as they would have carried on  more like the 4x4 ,police  did say hope that wasn't being carried about with yourself enough said on that matter 

4 minutes ago, Neverforget said:

I caught two in my house couple months back , they left via the doors they had forced very scary stuff we heard foot steps as the dogs barked jumped out off bed ten seconds earlier and I wouldn't have been able to type this 

Police there with in five mins  must have been in the area they said couldn't have been my guns they were after as they would have carried on  more like the 4x4 ,police  did say hope that wasn't being carried about with yourself enough said on that matter 

I’m really sorry to hear that pal, I bet it was scary to be in that situation and hope you can move on from it ok.

ATB Iain 

If there is no legal requirement to store your guns elsewhere and you decided to bring them home what's the worse that could happen? If they got stolen you have made the property secure and Complied with your obligations, you are not in breech of your licence conditions or broken any laws? I'm not sure which way I would go, if they are going to break in again to get at your guns they will do it anyway regardless of whether you have the guns there or not, I would hazard a guess that if they know you have guns they are either going to stay well clear for fear of being shot or tell their friends, I would take up baseball and always have a few bats handy about the home in case I fancied a game in addition to getting a decent alarm, it's something I worry about happening but I have recently purchased a new and very usefull 4 legged deterrent who I am confident will get the job done if needs be. It's a very difficult situation I would not want to be in and you have to put your families safety first regardless of anything else, I was told when I got my licence that in the event of any break in my property would be red flagged as having guns in the house and everything available would be diverted here so maybe an alarm linked to the police station would set your mind at rest as well as the police's? 

There must be few things worse than than having your house ransacked and I sympathise totally, but personally I would never keep the keys to a fixed safe containing guns or other valuables in my key safe. We don't have any really valuable items but I do have guns and the keys are very well hidden rather than in the key safe.

56 minutes ago, old'un said:

The reason they have may have asked you to place them with another ticket holder is, petty thieves/burglars are selling/passing on information to organised criminal gangs as to where gun cabinets are located within the property.

And, as the police will tell you, often enough burglars will wait a few weeks for you to claim on insurance and replace all your stuff with new, then break in and thieve it all again.

28 minutes ago, Westward said:

And, as the police will tell you, often enough burglars will wait a few weeks for you to claim on insurance and replace all your stuff with new, then break in and thieve it all again.

Very common that your done again soon after, not what you want to hear I'm afraid but true. 

Thanks for all you posts, I have thought about what’s the point of keeping valuable items in the house and it seems a bit pointless in a situation like this! I also saved silver and gold coins for the kids that went and revaluated that idea and maybe securer just saving up extra to top up into there saving accounts instead.  As for the alarm and dog it seems the most sensible idea as any extra deterants are handy.

It has crossed my mind to wherever they may come back as like previously  been commented that they do sell information on to get guns etc. I can only up the auntie on security and pray they don’t.  I am a keen baseball player so hope I don’t have to have any midnight practice anytime in the future. Insurance loss asseser came today so will see how much I get my pants pulled down in due course....

1 hour ago, Twistedsanity said:

you can get alarms now that work with dogs ? 

Yes you can, but only up to a certain weight, I can't remember off the top of my head but I think pet friendly detectors only work with pets up to 25KG. You could go for an alarm without movement detectors, but if you want it policed you need dual protection.

2 hours ago, B725 said:

One of our sensors is for the dog it alters the detection point so far from the floor so the dog can move about it has nothing to do with weight 

OK, I've only ever come across pet friendly detectors that work by weight, any chance of getting a make and model number as I'm about to install an alarm at home and have a labrador. A photo might do if you don't know make/model

I use magnetic door trips on my Alarm along with various PIR sensors upstairs where the guns are kept - as far as I can see there is no way of getting in without one or the other sensing you - Dogs cannot get upstairs so no problems with PIR's. Whole system was less than £100 - bought 2 extra PIR's and its wireless (battery operated) so no wiring.