BBC Winter Olympics coverage.

catchthepigeonmutley

Anyone else getting frustrated at the beeb's coverage of the Olympics?  I just want to see a bit of ice hockey, skeleton and luge and things, and I don't want to sit up all night watching it live, so I rely on the highlights shows, but most of the time I am not seeing sport, just people sat or stood around talking about it.  Inane conversations like 'how important is it that you go faster than anyone else...?' etc.    Lost count of the number of times I've switched on and this has happened, sat there for 10 mins and not seen any action.  No point in complaining of course as the BBC is too dogmatic.   :angry:

Coverage as stated has been pathetic, Mrs SBL really likes ice skating, both dance and figure but trying to find any significant coverage is like looking for unicorn eggs. Also why so much coverage of ice polishing, wouldn't having thought there was that much support for bowls on ice, but???

7 hours ago, walshie said:

At least we can feel a bit smug knowing HMRC are investigating BBC presenters for tax avoidance. 

No ...............Walshie my gast is flabbered.  :rolleyes:

Flippancy to one side why would HMRC investigate for something that is not illegal. Or is it evasion = legal avoidance = illegal.

22 minutes ago, Sha Bu Le said:

No ...............Walshie my gast is flabbered.  :rolleyes:

Flippancy to one side why would HMRC investigate for something that is not illegal. Or is it evasion = legal avoidance = illegal.

Perhaps it's borderline or in legal jargon "a grey area." :yes:

We've watched quite a bit this week, it's been OK it just seems you get lumps of certain sports all at once, possibly due to the time difference, sure there will be more available on eurosport , haven't tried looking on the red button to see if there is other stuff on? Anyone else tried it?

Well I'm sat in the office surrounded by Norwegians (with a single German and a Trinidadian) And they are really into it, enthusiastically celebrating (well as enthusiastically as Norwegians get) the daily accumulation of  gold medals for Norway.  Quite amusing really. They love nothing better than beating the Swedes. Cross country skiing in a national passion, well anything on skis is really...

6 hours ago, scolopax said:

Well I'm sat in the office surrounded by Norwegians (with a single German and a Trinidadian) And they are really into it, enthusiastically celebrating (well as enthusiastically as Norwegians get) the daily accumulation of  gold medals for Norway.  Quite amusing really. They love nothing better than beating the Swedes. Cross country skiing in a national passion, well anything on skis is really...

My gourgous goodlooking kind considerate wife (She may read this) is Norwegian so i know what you meen. It will be a few days yet before i will get any sence out of her.

I am told traditionaly Noggies are born with skis on their feet. This must produce some interestin times in the maternity units

Well I disagree with pretty much all of the above, sorry. I think the presenters are doing quite well and we do not see all the effort that the athletes makes before the time of competing. Getting a medal or not, that sort of skill does not come easy. Sat on our butts watching does not give any sort of concept to how cold and difficult the conditions are ( we're quick enough to complain about a windy days shooting or a still day when the birds won't fly). I'm in no way a sports fan ( if there's no engine or cartridges involved, I rarely have any interest) and the lack of resources and snow, only shows how commited these guys are. We, like everyone else on here, pay our TV licence and if the BBC pay their staff highly, then I think good luck to them. If one of us was a presenter or large company exec. or any other high paid position, could  we honestly say we would turn down a job offer because the salary was too big? I think the curling and ice skating are my least favourite disciplines, but the snow boarders, skiers, "sledgers" are all damn awesome. 

I just want to end it all now! the number of times i've turned on to catch a bit of live stuff, only to find they've squirrelled it away on the red button or online and are just doing endless chat and repeats of stuff from days ago! yarnold and deas were brilliant, but we don't need fifteen interviews with them plus another fifteen with other people all say how wonderful it was and how much they enjoyed representing the country blah blah blah. JUST SHOW SOME SPORT! 

why cover up live sport with interviews, when so little of the live stuff happens at sensible uk times? why not just save all the interview rubbish for highlights and let us watch some live tv, not just have BBC Balding all the time?

The coverage is absolutely awful this time... it's just the general direction BBC is headed, steady decline in broadcasting quality.

I will defend the curling though, because I play it. There's  so much more to the game  than comes across on the TV but I do understand it can seem pretty boring to a casual observer.  You really need  to try the game for yourself. I also know Anna Sloan, I play at the Ice rink she learned at and have played in a competition with her before she went Professional so there's added interest there to see her do well.

The late nights are killing me, watching it. For me the curling and both the ski cross and board cross are the real highlights. I enjoy the biathlon - skiing/shooting, and the speed skating too.

2 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

I've enjoyed it. The snowboard  cross is hilarious. Much more entertaining than the summer olympics. Curling's on because Mr T likes it. Fools.

I love the sport. All of the sport, sliding, jumping, shooting, jumping and falling over, sliding stuff at stuff, it's all been great. It's just that's what I want to see, not Clare Balding telling the same old stories over and over again! Nicola Minichiello and Chemmy Alcott have been great, but so much Balding! Surely it's time to move on and find someone else to anchor something.

On 17/02/2018 at 09:20, catchthepigeonmutley said:

Anyone else getting frustrated at the beeb's coverage of the Olympics?  I just want to see a bit of ice hockey, skeleton and luge and things, and I don't want to sit up all night watching it live, so I rely on the highlights shows, but most of the time I am not seeing sport, just people sat or stood around talking about it.  Inane conversations like 'how important is it that you go faster than anyone else...?' etc.    Lost count of the number of times I've switched on and this has happened, sat there for 10 mins and not seen any action.  No point in complaining of course as the BBC is too dogmatic.   

My thoughts exactly, don't bother to watch anymore.

21 hours ago, Howling Hound said:

I am getting fed up of the interviews with the various winners. All they talk about is the amount of time and effort they have to do in training - what do they want, a medal for it

You're too good at this mirth lark mate.

Edited by old man