Weather forcast

ditchman

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of talk of 4x4s.  This winter, my brother took his family skiing in his 15 year old Volvo V70 so front wheel drive.  The resort was one of the higher altitude ones in the Alps past many others.  Lots of snow with cars being totally covered.  On the way down conditions were horrific and traffic was travelling at less than normal walking speed.  He managed fine with just a set of winter tyres he'd bought for the trip.  Sure, he didn't have the ground clearance but he had plenty of grip.  I'd be sure a 4x4 with normal tyres would have been off the road.  (As it happens, right this minute, next door hadn't cleared their slightly sloping drive and the shogun or pajero or whatever it is with chunky off road tyres couldn't get up and had to take a run up!)

His brother in law lives in Sweden and we had family in Canada and the US.  They are not without their own problems in the snow with some massive pile ups.  Where we often suffer is the amount of traffic on the road with little redundancy for when things go wrong.

Do people think tyres are the problem in snow in the UK? They are designed smooth for ordinary dry/wet road conditions, so in snow and ice vehicles slip and slide all over the shop! if vehicle tyres had a more aggressive tread pattern, they would gain more traction, are vehicle tyres different in Scandinavian countries where they seem to deal with snow conditions much better than us!

24 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Do people think tyres are the problem in snow in the UK? They are designed smooth for ordinary dry/wet road conditions, so in snow and ice vehicles slip and slide all over the shop! if vehicle tyres had a more aggressive tread pattern, they would gain more traction, are vehicle tyres different in Scandinavian countries where they seem to deal with snow conditions much better than us!

There weather is more predictable than ours, they usually have two sets of wheels/tyres, set for winter (studded) and a set for summer.

April to October summer tyres, October to April, there’s a ban on studs or chains from 1 May to 15 October.

41 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It's not so much the tread pattern, it is the amount of silica in the tyre rubber that makes the difference, tyres richer in silica stay more flexible at lower temperatures.  They also have sipes cut into each tread block so with the softer compound the tread blocks deform more to provide a greater area of surface contact, but without the tread groove filling up with compacted snow/ice and acting as a icy cushion.

Just now, panoma1 said:

So our government will probably respond to public and media criticism, by once again putting their hands in our pockets and make winter tyres mandatory? As this will be their answer to the winter snow snarl ups....as it will cost em nowt!

I don't think so.  Winter tyres are marginal, especially in the south of the country.  At temperatures above about 7'c they can become more of a hindrance as they start to impact on handling and grip.

On my rear wheel drive cars I used to keep a second set of wheels with winter tyres to swap over, i live relatively high up and have had lots of problems in the past, but if engaging even in any mildly enthusiastic driving on milder days I was always acutely aware of how easy they could let go.  Quite good fun at times really.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

I don't think so.  Winter tyres are marginal, especially in the south of the country.  At temperatures above about 7'c they can become more of a hindrance as they start to impact on handling and grip.

On my rear wheel drive cars I used to keep a second set of wheels with winter tyres to swap over, i live relatively high up and have had lots of problems in the past, but if engaging even in any mildly enthusiastic driving on milder days I was always acutely aware of how easy they could let go.  Quite good fun at times really.

That comment was more about the cynic in me spilling out, it probably won't happen, but it would show the Government were "doing something" and would cost em nowt! So win win, for them!..........actually......it just might? 

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

That comment was more about the cynic in me spilling out, it probably won't happen, but it would show the Government were "doing something" and would cost em nowt! So win win, for them!..........actually......it just might? 

I know where you are coming from.  There is no doubt that if they can find a way for us to pay for anything then they will.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

There weather is more predictable than ours, they usually have two sets of wheels/tyres, set for winter (studded) and a set for summer.

April to October summer tyres, October to April, there’s a ban on studs or chains from 1 May to 15 October.

There rules are as nutty as ours. On the date to change to summer tyres you have to take off your studded tyres 2ft of ice or not

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/m62-stuck-traffic-2018-crash-14361226

3500 vehicles stuck on the M62 on Thursday night, road still shut yesterday due to the winds, but its only snow!! Amazing that no one died, the locals were out with food and hot drinks.

I bet lots of those folk wished they had gone sledging with their kids.

Yesterday was bad here. So bad I literally couldn't walk up our drive (it's quite steep). The wife's company cut the amount of calls to a bare minimum, like people who need medication etc. The boss phoned each carer individually and said they didn't have to go into work if they didn't feel safe. 

My mrs was umming and arring looking out of the window. I said it wasn't worth injuring herself or getting in a car crash. She agreed, but she was nearly in tears. After about half an hour she said she couldn't bear thinking of old mrs so-and-so being on her own and she was going to go out even if it was just to see her. She ended up doing another few calls after that and it took forever. It was nearly dark when she got home.

I went out and got some bags of rock salt to clear the drive and I was sliding all over the place in a 4x4.

When I read about all these others taking a day off because they don't fancy getting snow in their hair, I feel really proud that my wife is made of sterner stuff and hats off to the thousands of others who  put others before themselves and just got on with it. :thanks:

Edited by walshie

On 01/03/2018 at 16:57, Howling Hound said:

Its OK for most of you lot. I live with a husky who has refused to come in out of the snow all day and a wife who is Norwegian. You can imagine the comments about the UK and a little bit of snow. If I hear again that her first decision when taking her HGV test was whether or not to fit snow chains I shall join the dog outside.

Bless

Soon be Tuesday!

On 28/02/2018 at 20:51, blackbird said:

If I had my way I would get the lazy ***** that are on the dole & to idle to work to push your wife’s car through the snow to earn there dole money. My sister had the same job as your wife & I take my hat off to them.

Probably against their human rights?

Poor things.

On 28/02/2018 at 20:51, Walker570 said:

1963 ...broke all records for falling off a Lambretta scooter, average six times from my digs to the police station, always outside the guard house at the Fusilier Barracks in Sutton Coldfield, much to the merryment of the guardhouse staff, who knew me.  Got so good at it, I could step off as it started to go and let it slide away down the road.  There were 3ft high ridges of frozen snow along the road sides into early April. Our Sergeant always turfed us out on our pushbikes to patrol a full 8hrs.

We did get a sudden fall in early 1981(I think) I know my wife and I had gone down to Crickhowell for a couple of days at a cottage we had. Got up the next morning and had a job to find the Renault 5 I had at the time.  A snow blower went through about 10am and the walls were a good 5ft high. My engine was frozen solid and broke the fan belt on trying to start it.  Drove steadily all the way back to Shirley/Solihull and most of the pipework to the heater and the heater was still frozen. Cracking litle car that was, thought it was a Land Rover.

Ah, 1963 Sutton Coldfield, remember it well.

20 hours ago, panoma1 said:

A narrow profile too, look at the rally cars of the 70's, cut through to the Blacksburg?

7 hours ago, walshie said:

Yesterday was bad here. So bad I literally couldn't walk up our drive (it's quite steep). The wife's company cut the amount of calls to a bare minimum, like people who need medication etc. The boss phoned each carer individually and said they didn't have to go into work if they didn't feel safe. 

My mrs was umming and arring looking out of the window. I said it wasn't worth injuring herself or getting in a car crash. She agreed, but she was nearly in tears. After about half an hour she said she couldn't bear thinking of old mrs so-and-so being on her own and she was going to go out even if it was just to see her. She ended up doing another few calls after that and it took forever. It was nearly dark when she got home.

I went out and got some bags of rock salt to clear the drive and I was sliding all over the place in a 4x4.

When I read about all these others taking a day off because they don't fancy getting snow in their hair, I feel really proud that my wife is made of sterner stuff and hats off to the thousands of others who  put others before themselves and just got on with it. :thanks:

Tell your misses well done walshie, run her a nice hot bath.

8 hours ago, walshie said:

I was working until 9 last night fitting skirting for a mate. He’s desperate to finish his house . I came out and wow we had 3” in 2 hours. It was fun driving home but slow and steady worked. I have to say I’m really impressed with the Vw t6 traction control. Roads are clear again from 10am.

im a work addict but with 4 months in front I’ve no choice

well  done to your wife for caring .

Edited by team tractor