Hide your Golliwogs!

Munzy

12 hours ago, Gordon R said:

True racism goes deeper than children's toys or stories. The protesters should be lobbying for equality - regardless of colour or creed, rather than trying to grab a headline. Truly pathetic.

Very appropriate Gordon :good:

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I remember buying one out of a shop in Scarborough a few years ago , garden ornament about 3 inches high on the end of a stick.
Shopkeeper said 'I best wrap this up'  I felt like a right criminal walking up the sea front with a golly sticking out from the top of this brown paper bag :lol:

What on earth has happened to us ?

The Labour Party

6 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I remember buying one out of a shop in Scarborough a few years ago , garden ornament about 3 inches high on the end of a stick.
Shopkeeper said 'I best wrap this up'  I felt like a right criminal walking up the sea front with a golly sticking out from the top of this brown paper bag 

What on earth has happened to us ?

Mum has the same in a fig tree pot planted in memory of dad ,does having a childhood memory make u rascist then or is it just the "RIGHT ON p/C " brigade getting on their high horse when everyone says nothing as theyre not offended 

8 minutes ago, clakk said:

Mum has the same in a fig tree pot planted in memory of dad ,does having a childhood memory make u rascist then or is it just the "RIGHT ON p/C " brigade getting on their high horse when everyone says nothing as theyre not offended 

We havnt even got to the childhood memories of the (probably now banned) Enid Blyton books yet, but yeah, we were all racists back then, we just didnt know it.

39 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

We havnt even got to the childhood memories of the (probably now banned) Enid Blyton books yet, but yeah, we were all racists back then, we just didnt know it.

We weren't racists back then. We were just allowed to think and say what we wanted.

13 minutes ago, ips said:

I remember having a collection of badges from robinsons jam. I never considered that they even depicted black people, i thought it was just a sort of character. 

Same here, I never made the connection, the Black and white minstrel show just seemed like a strange dance program, and the Famous 5, a gentle childrens book.
How was I to know that it was all a mask for vicious racism and subjugation of people of colour.
I now have to live the rest of my days knowing Im a closet racist,I used to laugh at are you being served, so Im a homophobe too !.

And OMG why did I vote to leave the EU ? Im a xenophobe too !

Im all that is bad in the world, I must be a worldophobe ..maybe :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I can't help thinking the government is responsible for alot of "racism" because they've linked so many things which genuinely had no racist intent to "racism" it's totally alienating a huge proportion of the country and building huge resentment, absaloutly crazy!

Just accept you are a bad person like me and be quiet !:lol:

Edited by Rewulf
Damn keyboard !

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Same here, I never made the connection, the Black and white minstrel show just seemed like a strange dance program, and the Famous 5, a gentle childrens book.
How was I to know that it was all a mask for vicious racism and subjugation of people of colour.
I now have to live the rest of my days knowing Im a closet racist,I used to laugh at are you being served, so Im a homophobe too !.

Ha ?

13 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

???

well as I was born in the late 50s golliwogs have always been part of my childhood every family in my area had one Robinsons jam was the jam to have if your mum didn't make it and collecting the badges was the norm what a stupid  pc world we live in now this weekend I went shopping with the mrs and deliberately picked up a pot of Robinsons only to find a Paddington bear on the jar

give it ten years and we will find that Paddington  bear is  banned on the jars  as its teddybear cruelty

So the Italian gangster, the Italian Chef, the sea Captain, the doughnut eating cops and all the other stereotypes are fine, just not an Indian one. As if an Indian would really be dark skinned, with an Indian accent with lots of kids and running a convenience store. 

It really is pitiful why anyone even listens to the ever-offended.

3 hours ago, walshie said:

So the Italian gangster, the Italian Chef, the sea Captain, the doughnut eating cops and all the other stereotypes are fine, just not an Indian one. As if an Indian would really be dark skinned, with an Indian accent with lots of kids and running a convenience store. 

It really is pitiful why anyone even listens to the ever-offended.

And this is the exact problem with the UK, feel free to offend whoever you want, just as long as it' not someone with a "protected characteristic" or you'll find yourself in court, irrelevant of what your intent was.

I've still got the golliwog my dad knitted for me when he spent a year in hospital with TB, nearly 60 years now and the old boy is still alive and kicking!

I've also got one of my first books called "Little Black Sambo", interestingly, Sambo was Indian.

I think this whole country needs a dose of reality, do gooders worrying about childhood toys when an ethnic minority that makes up 12.5% of the population in London  is responsible for nearly 80% of violent crime in our capital. Guess what? it ain't the happy little black chaps off the bloody jam jars.

19 hours ago, Duckandswing said:

One of my favourite films is Blazing Saddles. I mentioned this in work the other day and the look of horror on those below the age of 30 was something to behold.

I dare not quote any lines, I’d have been lynched.

Oh, It's twue, it's twue.....