What?????..

del.gue

It might be because im getting older...or is this country really getting worse!

I just saw a report that the students union at manchester uni have "banned clapping" at events and speechs, as it might cause distress and anxiety to some groups. Instead they are encouraging people to wave instead to show their appreciation. AND they are not the first uni to do this....there then followed an interview with a snowflake justifying the decision. Someone who might one day be in a position of power.

Stop the world please!!!!

18 minutes ago, del.gue said:

It might be because im getting older...or is this country really getting worse!

I just saw a report that the students union at manchester uni have "banned clapping" at events and speechs, as it might cause distress and anxiety to some groups. Instead they are encouraging people to wave instead to show their appreciation. AND they are not the first uni to do this....there then followed an interview with a snowflake justifying the decision. Someone who might one day be in a position of power.

Stop the world please!!!!

Yes ‘jaz hands’ is the now the  ‘official’ way to show appreciation for fear of offending people of a nervous disposition. 

But you can’t ‘black up’ like Al Jolsen in order to do it. 

28 minutes ago, AVB said:

Yes ‘jaz hands’ is the now the  ‘official’ way to show appreciation for fear of offending people of a nervous disposition. 

But you can’t ‘black up’ like Al Jolsen in order to do it. 

Wont be long before waving is banned in case someone gets dust in their eye caused by the draught. 

If you are really that sensitive maybe stay home...as life is not for you!

10 minutes ago, countryman said:

And you can not say something is difficult any more, it's a chalenge. As for hand movements I think we all know what one we would give to that.

👆 this

What ever will they do when a blind (optically challenged) person unable to see all of this frantic waving (or non waving) makes a complaint against discrimination for ''sightism'

I know we'll all join hands and sing......drat..... can't do that the deaf (sound impaired) people will sue. How about holding signs up..... No, back to the blind and add dyslexic people. Stamp the feet...nope. one legged (LJS syndrome) people would object.

Y'all will have gathered by now I am being deliberately ridiculous; which is exactly what this student union nonsense is. Oh well.

Clap your hands for daddy coming down the wagon way

His clothes all dusty his boots all clay.

Edited by Sha Bu Le
Add qualifiers for political correctness

1 hour ago, Sha Bu Le said:

What ever will they do when a blind (optically challenged) person unable to see all of this frantic waving (or non waving) makes a complaint against discrimination for ''sightism'

I know we'll all join hands and sing......drat..... can't do that the deaf (sound impaired) people will sue. How about holding signs up..... No, back to the blind and add dyslexic people. Stamp the feet...nope. one legged (LJS syndrome) people would object.

Y'all will have gathered by now I am being deliberately ridiculous; which is exactly what this student union nonsense is. Oh well.

Clap your hands for daddy coming down the wagon way

His clothes all dusty his boots all clay.

Trouble is, what you have written is not actually that ridiculous, it's just the logical process.

5 hours ago, AVB said:

Yes ‘jaz hands’ is the now the  ‘official’ way to show appreciation for fear of offending people of a nervous disposition

Ran this past my daughter who's comment was"A large crowd of people doing "Jazz Hands" is more likely to freak people out than clapping ever did. It would me" and I tend to agree with her.

It has also occurred to me that the snowflake generation received a large part of their education under the "Prizes for everyone and no losers" regime of the Tony B Liar years. 

6 hours ago, AVB said:

No it is can be a major problem with some people who are on the autistic spectrum, they have problems with sensory overload, so clapping, sudden noises, thunder...

Perhaps there are a few with this problem at Manchester?

12 minutes ago, henry d said:

No it is can be a major problem with some people who are on the autistic spectrum, they have problems with sensory overload, so clapping, sudden noises, thunder...

I can understand that - but if these things are a problem, don't attend events where they will likely take place.  Trying to make everyone change long held traditions because they don't suit a few isn't a good way forward.  If you do have particular requirements, you should learn to live with them, not expect the rest of society to bend to your requirements.

Rant over (for now)!

17 minutes ago, henry d said:

Perhaps there are a few with this problem at Manchester?

What next after clapping then ?
Those pesky sudden noises will have to go , and thunder, sorry thunder,  youre out.

I completely understand that people on the spectrum have issues with these things, but you cant switch the world off to accommodate.
Rather, they will have to do what they have always done, put up with it.

Edited by Rewulf
John just beat me !

No-one wants the world to switch off, something happened at Manchester to start this I doubt it happened in a vacuum. I suppose in a world where caring is not high on the agenda we could just shout at the deaf, tell people in wheelchairs to drag themselves up the stairs etc. etc.