Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
johnnytheboy

Vegetable Oil

Recommended Posts

Ran my Merc for 2 years on it not a problem om605 & 606 engines will run it no problem just need go replace the o rings in the fuel lines the older Peugeot 306 1.9 xud engines with Bosch injector pumps will run it as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bornfree said:

Old mercedes engines with inline pumps are the best. My ssangyong korando will run 100% veg oil if it's above freezing

 

Is that the new one, or the old one that looked like an Army surplus Champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bornfree said:

1998 so it's the middle one.

Is that the one with the Merc 5 Cylinder engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran my Surf on either new or used veg oil for quite a few years, before the supermarkets put the price of new oil up since the cost of Derv, and local reclamation companies started taking all the used oil from chippies and takeaways and the like.

Never a problem - just had to add a bit of Derv to the mix if the temperature dropped below freezing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bornfree said:

Yes that's the one

Mercedes om605 engine same engine which a lot of the swedes turn into a super turbo diesel can take around 450bhp on oem con rods amazing engines 

6 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

I ran my Surf on either new or used veg oil for quite a few years, before the supermarkets put the price of new oil up since the cost of Derv, and local reclamation companies started taking all the used oil from chippies and takeaways and the like.

Never a problem - just had to add a bit of Derv to the mix if the temperature dropped below freezing.

Same even ran my merc on 100% veg right up until the first sign of frost would chuck £20 worth or diesel in or a splash of petrol or two stroke to stop it freezing in the tank ...still started everyday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were alot of people doing it including myself around 10 years ago but as has been said the suppliers caught on and put the prices up !

I ran a few diesel peugeots on it with no ill effect (bosch fuel pump not lucas as you will destroy lucas seals) but ive since learnt that its not good to run pure veg oil long term due to the water content but if your running and old cheap car its worth the risk ,you can process it which includes heating the oil to remove the water but the equipments not cheap

Landrover 2.5 tdis aswell as terrano 2.7 tdis will run happily o it too as they have bosch pumps

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've run both my Hilux Surf and my old skoda octavia on veg oil up to %100 at times (summer), as Crisp says bosch pumps are fine, lucas pumps are a no no.

When i first started doing it new veg oil was 40p a ltr, oh how things have changed 😞

Edited by thepasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once ran my old golf 1.9tdi engine on used hydraulic oil, accidentally. Drained a hydraulic oil tank and decanted into a Jerry can, that’s where the mix up happened. Couldn’t even tell the difference! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jason_ox said:

I once ran my old golf 1.9tdi engine on used hydraulic oil, accidentally. Drained a hydraulic oil tank and decanted into a Jerry can, that’s where the mix up happened. Couldn’t even tell the difference! 

Hydraulic oil is veg based it's just bloody expensive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astra 1.7 and 1.9 cdti both ran on it for years with no issues ,as you all say when supermarkets cottoned on new price went through the roof.But if you can get a supply of used and as theres a million takeaways wanting rid shouldnt be a problem.Filtering use a pair of old jeans tied at the bottom of the legs and be prepared to be followed by hungry  dogs down the street :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to drive down through 'the valleys' about 35yrs ago and when sat at traffic lights it would smell like a mobile fish & chip shop parked alongside you.  It was a familiar odiur down there back in those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 10 years ago I was in Morrisons carpark pouring 4l bottles of veg oil straight into the tank of my ssangyong when a man came over and threatened to report me. So I suggested he take some pictures of me pouring it in as it would help provide evidence of my crime. To say he was confused was understating it. I never did bother explaining the law to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not that many years ago the land rover boys would turn up at supermarket and fill up with cooking oil and leave the 5g drums rolling round the carpark like tumble weed until the price went up diesels are known as oil burners and run better on veg oil than diesel  old fashioned diesel mechanical pumps were ok          hdi diesels are different    cooking oil needs to be pre heated sperate tank heated  etc and way  more frequent fuel  filter changes etc may not be worth it after all conversion cost outlay compared to saving get your calculator out costs re saving on fuel inc expenditure      for example  had a 3.9 range rover classic soft dash sequential gas conversion inc tanks £2300.00  lpg 37  p l  ---  £1.37 l petrol worked out all costs  so had to have the vehicle for 250000 to break even and save on costs as your saving is on the difference on fuel costs       some times its not worth it throw away a pound to save a penny 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saltings said:

not that many years ago the land rover boys would turn up at supermarket and fill up with cooking oil and leave the 5g drums rolling round the carpark like tumble weed until the price went up diesels are known as oil burners and run better on veg oil than diesel  old fashioned diesel mechanical pumps were ok          hdi diesels are different    cooking oil needs to be pre heated sperate tank heated  etc and way  more frequent fuel  filter changes etc may not be worth it after all conversion cost outlay compared to saving get your calculator out costs re saving on fuel inc expenditure      for example  had a 3.9 range rover classic soft dash sequential gas conversion inc tanks £2300.00  lpg 37  p l  ---  £1.37 l petrol worked out all costs  so had to have the vehicle for 250000 to break even and save on costs as your saving is on the difference on fuel costs       some times its not worth it throw away a pound to save a penny 

Somebody ripped you off for the installation that's for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saltings said:

  cooking oil needs to be pre heated sperate tank heated  etc and way  more frequent fuel  filter changes

Heated: no, not in summer. In winter, add Derv to the mix to keep the viscosity down. 

Admittedly, my Surf has the winter pack fitted, including the heated fuel filter, but the tank isn't heated. It's just a matter of ensuring the veg oil doesn't gel - adding winter-blend diesel works.

Separate tank? Can't think of a good reason why.

Frequent filter changes: yes, indeedy! Not because veg oil is any dirtier than Derv, but because it has a greater detergent effect, and will pick up all the muck from the bottom of your tank, and deposit it in your fuel filter.

If you are using used oil, then the increase in filter changes will depend on how careful you are with processing the oil.

I used to hot-filter through a 25 micron bag filter, then shake up with the same volume of water and allow to settle for a week (I have a practically inexhaustible supply of 25 litre drums from work). The first removes any particulates, and the second dissolves out the acidic oxidation products from cooking (they are more soluble in water than in oil). The oil then separates out and floats on the water, allowing you to pour off the oil. You have to accept that you will waste a proportion of the oil, to avoid getting too much water in your fuel.

Unfortunately, changes in environmental legislation means that waste producers (i.e. your local takeaway) have to account for all waste, to show that it has been disposed of properly. Not being a licensed waste disposal route means they aren't allowed to let you have it, without risking a big fine.

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oowee said:

What about using heating oil. Is that legal? Only 47p a litre. 

No not legal to use as a road  fuel and it wont lubricate your pump so once it fails you wont have saved any money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...