Best cheap cartridges for pigeons

Ive recently got a farm to shoot on, and growing up in west wales ive never took pigeon shooting seriously. We only chased em out the woods, tbh i had more with airguns than my shotguns. But this farm is overrun to high hell, on sunday scoping it out in the torrential rain there must have been 500 at least on the fields. 

My point is, hes now offered 3 other farms to shoot on, and without letting him down as money is tight, whats the best/come cheapest carts you use? I was considering cheapo 7 1/2 but would like ideally 6's 30g. In 12b. I can see im going to be doing a lot of shooting.  

Just seeing what you guys use if premium or cheap

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decoy them in and use cheap 7&1/2 carts, they will do the job. Especially if you going to be using loads of them.

Find a local game dealer and see what price for fresh pigeon as you may not get back the cost of the cartridge.

You may find some clay carts in 6&1/2 but will probably cost same as the cheapest pigeon carts.

You should pick up clay carts for around £180.00 a thousand for fiber.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ive recently got a farm to shoot on, and growing up in west wales ive never took pigeon shooting seriously. We only chased em out the woods, tbh i had more with airguns than my shotguns. But this farm is overrun to high hell, on sunday scoping it out in the torrential rain there must have been 500 at least on the fields. 

My point is, hes now offered 3 other farms to shoot on, and without letting him down as money is tight, whats the best/come cheapest carts you use? I was considering cheapo 7 1/2 but would like ideally 6's 30g. In 12b. I can see im going to be doing a lot of shooting.  

If your looking for a hand to keep the numbers down, me and my buddy are looking for new places to shoot and are willing to travel :)

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ill pop up avalon and see what theyve got. Difficult around here as the closest place that sells carts is mole valley. And they are expensive 

Just cartridges are doing there own game loads sure there 32gram 6s fibre for £59.75 for 250 you've the £15 postage to add on top tho 

Edited by Stephen-H

30 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, Avllon do not show cartridges on their web site, it always pays to buy in bulk maybe there is another PW member close you can divi up together,

Yea, I do wish RFDs would keep their websites updated with what they stock, and price breaks (if any) for quantity.  That said, my phone enquiries indicate that most are matching Just Cartridges.

55 minutes ago, figgy said:

How does that work out cheap for the OP 15p short of 75 shekels a slab.

That £15 postage is for up to 1000 carts so it becomes more reasonable if you don’t have a competitive RFD locally.  Not used them however, so can’t comment on the service.  I assume the OP is looking to buy at least 1000 if he’s got 3 farms to do…

32 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Appreciate your problem with supply down here. See what you can do with the price/availability of some Hull Comp X 28g fibre.

The missus and I decided to get 1000 of these, £196 from Wadswick Country stores.  Not cheap but not bad either at £4.90/box for a ‘name brand’. Should last the whole year of clays once a month with some left over for pigeons...

This might be entirely subjective and/or confirmation bias, but the ‘felt recoil’ appears to be lower than others I’ve tried, and the barrels appear to require less cleaning too

If I was the op and money is tight I'd be using steel and decoying them in close. Big numbers are hard this time of year as they just dissapear.

Might as well get the best price for your birds from raptor breeders. Help keep costs down and if he's out shooting farmers will be happy keeping pigeons off his crops.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yea, I do wish RFDs would keep their websites updated with what they stock, and price breaks (if any) for quantity.  That said, my phone enquiries indicate that most are matching Just Cartridges.

That £15 postage is for up to 1000 carts so it becomes more reasonable if you don’t have a competitive RFD locally.  Not used them however, so can’t comment on the service.  I assume the OP is looking to buy at least 1000 if he’s got 3 farms to do…

The missus and I decided to get 1000 of these, £196 from Wadswick Country stores.  Not cheap but not bad either at £4.90/box for a ‘name brand’. Should last the whole year of clays once a month with some left over for pigeons...

This might be entirely subjective and/or confirmation bias, but the ‘felt recoil’ appears to be lower than others I’ve tried, and the barrels appear to require less cleaning too

Yep, on both points.

Although you need to check on a frequency basis as Hull tend to reinvent the dimensions for shot sizes as and when they feel the need, but at the moment these are what would be called 7&1/4 shot so some advantage there for the pigeon.

14 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

You have not done much pigeon shooting on winter rape then?

I am currently using Lyalvale Express English Sporter 28g 7.5 fibre @ £190 per thousand, they are a good cartridge and kill well on pigeons and blacks, forget all this 32g and 36g of 5s or 6s you don’t need it when decoying.

I would think that what ever you go for you are looking around £200 per thousand.

51 minutes ago, old'un said:

You have not done much pigeon shooting on winter rape then?

None ever. Only over sweet peas 10+ years ago. 

I am currently using Lyalvale Express English Sporter 28g 7.5 fibre @ £190 per thousand

Thats what i use for clays as its the cheapest i can get around here without considering fuel costs to get a better deal.

Pretty much the same price as youve quoted. 

Give the Lyalvale Express English Sporter 28g 7.5 fibre or plastic a try on some decoyed pigeons, I’ve been surprised at how well they kill at range, I have used them on some pigeons coming into roost and they fold birds at 40 yards, don’t forget you are putting a lot more shot in the air, so are likely to get more pellets hitting the bird.

Don’t think you will find cartridges much cheaper than £190 per thousand that will do the job.

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, Avllon do not show cartridges on their web site, it always pays to buy in bulk maybe there is another PW member close you can divi up together,

hello, i fancy a try with some JOCKERS anyone know a RFD stocking around south Oxon

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 hours ago, wymberley said:

Yep, on both points.

Although you need to check on a frequency basis as Hull tend to reinvent the dimensions for shot sizes as and when they feel the need, but at the moment these are what would be called 7&1/4 shot so some advantage there for the pigeon.

Well I've got a 1000, so they can tinker all they like, I'll be alright for a while.  😁