Another mystery item I dug up

rovercoupe

5 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Great machine , got the wife one about 3 years ago . There is plenty of YouTube  videos on the settings . I use the Deus , had it when they first came out . If that area around the castle is Schedule  be carefull. 

i got to find this sort of thing out i was told it was ok but i will find out. I might find my first gold tomorrow just been speaking to another farmer where i shoot and his wife lost a gold charm last friday so will be having a look tomorrow 

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

wooowwoooo......that is interesting......suppose they just ripped them off and chucked them...:good:

Yes , they are interesting.  Some from Europe aswell . Another interesting find is trade tokens , these were given instead of money , or wages . The crafty farmer would give these out instead of  money . You could give them back to him for goods , sort of your weekly  shop . Win win , for the farmer 

Screenshot_20200203-163235_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

facinating...................have heard of those trade tokens....

hello, i found a few trade tokens from the local shop started in the 1800s, about 1/2 mile away, field they use to walk in winter when the bridle way was snowed over

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

Yes , they are interesting.  Some from Europe aswell . Another interesting find is trade tokens , these were given instead of money , or wages . The crafty farmer would give these out instead of  money . You could give them back to him for goods , sort of your weekly  shop . Win win , for the farmer 

Screenshot_20200203-163235_Samsung Internet.jpg

hello, have found a few like bottom middle, nice lot of good finds john

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 02/02/2020 at 10:31, rovercoupe said:

Any ideas as to what this is? Dug it up yesterday. Seems to be lead and has come from ground not disturbed for quite some time. 

image.jpeg

hello, there is a set of 5 square ones like yours for sale on ebay, Victorian plant markers, £127

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

It can't be a weight tag for a sack as grains was measured in bushels. A twenty bushel sack would weight a staggering half an old ton as there were sixty pounds in a bushel of wheat. So as others say and given the robustness of the "peg" I think it is a row marker or similar as that "peg" would be too hard to bend for a seal.

Edited by enfieldspares

if I remember correctly the above were known as chains end to end 22 yrds  as used in laying hedges measuring land ets  the lead seals if I remember  correctly were used for bushel  weights of corn  back in grandads time  also potato sacks as a grading system 

Edited by Saltings