Handy tips?

henry d

Thanks to Teal for jogging my mind! 

I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to offset the possibility or timing of catching covid 19?

One thing we discussed at home was social distancing which is all well and good but after watching a woman in ASDA cough into her hands and then grab a trolley we decided to forego using the baskets and trolleys provided and use our own bags, putting our shopping in as we go then emptying at the self check out. 

We also use the self check out instead of the staffed one as we aren't touching the "next customer" doodah and only touch the screen with our knuckle. Our ASDA seems to be on the ball having staff clean and wipe off the screens as much as possible. 

Rubber etc gloves seems to be problematic, however it may be good for those who have underlying conditions and/or elderly or in close contact with those who have underlying conditions etc

Anything else to share?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From our experience here in Italy: Only ONE in the family to go shopping. Don't go together. My wife gets colds and flu very easily, so I go shopping. My shopping clothes and shoes stay outside. Enter the house in undies and straight into the shower. Those little bottles of waterless handcleaner....use them often and especially after handling money or a card. Shopping is wiped with alcohol before being put away. Fruit and veg (we Italians live on that!) are rinsed in Milton before being put away. And if you can't find Milton, rinse in bleach. But the 3 biggest rules. Dont go out unless you really have to. Stay 1m away from people if you do go anywhere. WASH HANDS OFTEN AND THOROUGHLY!

1. Use self service checkouts and keep distance (my local Morrisons everyone was being very good about this)
  2. Pay by contactless (no buttons to touch) if you can
  3. Immediately after putting your bags/goods in the car - sanitise hands with sanitiser (or soap and water from thermos?) - I keep a small hand sanitiser bottle in the car.
  4. When you get home - bring bags in - then WASH hands
  5. Unload bags and put goods away - WASH hands

This is based on the possibility that you may have got virus on your hands (maybe from a trolley, basket, or item), transferred a trace to the bags/goods.  None of this is guaranteed because the virus seems to be able to remain active for quite long periods (probably up to a few days) on surfaces, but shows the general principles that can be applied.  It seems quite high temperatures are needed to kill the virus (maybe 60C upwards) which is too hot to touch.  Soap, 60% alcohol and bleaches kill it.

I am carrying around a spray of alchol in an old kitchen cleaner bottle and a cloth. I disinfect trolly handles and anything else I am going to touch. Even the food from the supermarket got a blast and a wipe. Social distancing too but was a little taken aback meeting a farmer who is partialy  deaf on Monday. He wanted to chat and was walking ever closer 😟

Here at work we are limiting contact and have plenty of hand sanitizer for staff and visitors.

The Postman delivers, leaves the post outside the door and waves happily.

We had a courier try to just dump stuff for one of the businesses on site just inside the recepption doors, he had a rethink when it was pointed out to him that it had not got to its correct address.

4 hours ago, oowee said:

I am carrying around a spray of alchol in an old kitchen cleaner bottle and a cloth. I disinfect trolly handles and anything else I am going to touch. Even the food from the supermarket got a blast and a wipe. Social distancing too but was a little taken aback meeting a farmer who is partialy  deaf on Monday. He wanted to chat and was walking ever closer 😟

Did you shoot? 😬

1 minute ago, Scully said:

the virus is killed by hot water. 

Whilst that is strictly quite correct, it would be pretty hot to drink as I read that a minimum of 56 Centigrade is needed .......... but drinking lots of water si good anyway.  If you don't have a temperature it likely isn't the virus.

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Up to now I feel fine

Which is good - stay that way 👍

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks, I think the hot water is meant to flush the germs to your stomach, where it can’t survive. 

That has certainly 'been reported' but also has been 'questioned' as being 'speculation'.  The virus apparently actually takes hold in the breathing apparatus (respiratory tract to give the proper name) - not the throat area.  But there is no doubt that keeping well hydrated is a good thing anyway with any cold/fever.

See No 5 here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51735367

Edited by JohnfromUK

If you can't get Calpol, but have got paracetamol tablets.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1484/smpc

If you have paracetamol 500mg tablets and fruit juice or fruit cordial.
Grind a paracetamol tablet up in a mortar and pestle or between 2 spoons as fine as you can get it.
A paracetamol tablet is normally 500mg per tablet.

If you are wanting Calpol 6 plus its 250mg in 5ml, (as above link) so mix one ground 500mg tablet into 10ml of fruit juice.
The 10ml is important. Use a syringe to measure it not a kitchen teaspoon.
This will give you 250mg in 5ml as a suspension. It is a suspension so it needs shaking up well before dosing as the paracetamol will settle out.

hello, it is not usual i put on ideas that reflect our human nature, and i am talking about the most used commodity with the Human race, the mighty Loo Roll , seems now in short supply, its just paper tissue of various grades and types, cheap and expensive, we have a saying, when you gotta go you gotta go, with empty shelves, buy a 4 pack of kitchen towel, its paper tissue, cost £1 from that shop !!!,  with a very sharp knife and board cut into 8 rolls, 8 rolls for £1, when needs must its better than cutting up the Sun newspaper OH maybe not :lol:, oh i told my son this, his second word was off :lol:

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

the mighty Loo Roll , seems now in short supply,

Honestly, the solution is to buy one of these.  All you need is a T junction on the inlet pipe to the cistern and you're good to go.

I know some people will throw their hands up in horror, but in actual fact once you get used to the knack of using one - PM me if you want the key tips -  they're far more hygienic, and way more comfortable than using paper. I dont' know anyone who has made the switch who would ever go back.