Panic buying

The Heron

I made the customers in the pet shop wince, I declared I had given up trying to buy a single pack of mince in the last three days and that I was taking matters into my own hands tomorrow, jumping up the high seat and hopefully knocking over a deer or two for the freezer (rather than the game dealer).

Edited by mick miller

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, mick miller said:

I made the customers in the pet shop wince, I declared I had given up trying to buy a single pack of mince in the last three days and that I was taking matters into my own hands tomorrow, jumping up the high seat and hopefully knocking over a deer or two for the freezer (rather than the game dealer).

Yep without thinking I said that (as we are stalking at the weekend) to the Tesco delivery girl yesterday when they did not have quite a few bits I ordered. She went a bit pale at that point :)

I'm a fairly fit 80 and carer for my 83 year old wife who is disabled.

Last week I had a respite week down in not so sunny Essex.   Came back on Sunday.   To absolute chaos.  

First thing I tried to do was book my normal Tuesday Sainsbury's delivery.   Only slot left over the next three weeks is for tomorrow (Friday).   Booked my usual list and on Monday I went to the local little market town in Norfolk to get some goods to tide us over until the delivery.   Basically stripped bare.   Got a couple of things at the town garage shop and went to Boots for my weekly top up of the medical things I need to care for my wife.   Got two packs of incontinence pants - the only ones they had left - and a tube of gunk to stick her false teeth in.   Nothing else on my list was available.

I went back to the town on Wednesday and it was the same story - or maybe even worse.

So today I checked Sainsbury's website and I still can't get another order in the next three weeks.   So I have been FORCED to massively update my order so that we MIGHT have just the basics to live the next few weeks.   No other choice.

What will actually turn up tomorrow I have no idea.   Now I am being told that they are even running out of dog food!

Sainsbury's have decided that on one day a week they will reserve the first hour of trading for the oldies.   Many of us are carers for Christ sake.   No chance of being in any shop before nine or ten.   They should try looking after someone for a while.   Early morning is your busiest time of the day. 

The Government has got to get a grip on this before it leads to bloodshed in the aisles or oldies starving.   Laws need to be written - AND ENFORCED.

My paper was claiming there was a Dunkirk spirit sweeping across the land.   If it was like this in 1940 our army would still be dug in on the beaches of France.   Or dead!

1 hour ago, Feltwad said:

If this panic buying continues has it may well be  we may see the return of the WW2 ration book ,not very nice I remember   it well but everybody got a right full share

Feltwad

Weve had ration books since then but just for fuel I think....still have a book somewhere.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Reading through this thread, im not sure the word greed covers the panic buying, I think fear is a better word. Fear makes people act in irrational ways, particularly when it comes to families ect.

I tend to agree. I don’t think it is fear of food running out but rather fear of being in forced lockdown for weeks on end. 

Other countries are seeing the same behaviour so it isn’t unique to the U.K.  

I phoned in a repeat prescription this week , yes which chemist is that too it now takes 7 working days  ,

Then round 6 shops to get my grandson a tin of formula and a pack of nappies cant get any teething powder i hope i never hear of anybody local stockpiling or if anybody's daft enough to try to sell some needed  stuff at grossly inflated prices theres too many dark nights here for the likes of these vermin  

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, Sainsbury are to allow Senior citizens (70 plus) to shop the first hour of trading, for those who can get up at dawn ok but i see so many needing help getting to shop/ helping to shop are family members and care workers, then as in a lot of supermarkets essential food and ?? shelves are empty

I did the Sainsbury early doors this morning. They were queueing round the carpark at 6.45am and it was jam packed mayhem inside when the doors opened.

I saw a couple of instances of tempers been frayed. A guy thought he could jump the pharmacy queue because he had rung up yesterday and asked for his prescription  to be ready for him.

The other was an isle being partly blocked by a shelf stacker and one lady caught another on the hip with her trolly. Words were exchanged!

The queues at the checkouts were right back down the isles causing more congestion

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just going to see whats left in the ££££££££ shop !!!!!!

as i thought as when i got there the shelves were bare, well what i needed,

3 minutes ago, fern01 said:

I did the Sainsbury early doors this morning. They were queueing round the carpark at 6.45am and it was jam packed mayhem inside when the doors opened.

I saw a couple of instances of tempers been frayed. A guy thought he could jump the pharmacy queue because he had rung up yesterday and asked for his prescription  to be ready for him.

The other was an isle being partly blocked by a shelf stacker and one lady caught another on the hip with her trolly. Words were exchanged!

The queues at the checkouts were right back down the isles causing more congestion

hello, hope you managed to get everything you needed

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

as i thought as when i got there the shelves were bare, well what i needed,

hello, hope you managed to get everything you needed

Just a paper and a pack of three shooting mags.

Left the shopping to the wife, it was a dangerous place for me, far too crowded.

I just hope and pray nobody in there had the virus

She did ok but no rice, bog roll etc

Worst of all, no Yorkshire tea

2 minutes ago, fern01 said:

Just a paper and a pack of three shooting mags.

Left the shopping to the wife, it was a dangerous place for me, far too crowded.

I just hope and pray nobody in there had the virus

She did ok but no rice, bog roll etc

hello, WHAT NO YORKSHIRE TEA 😂 now my favourite cuppa, i just do not understand why there is a shortage of anything, surely these supermarkets have very big suppliers, you wait prices will go up and they will use this as an excuse to rip us off, Tesco shareholders will want a big payout

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

WHAT NO YORKSHIRE TEA

I have more Yorkshire Tea than I know what to do with.

I think it's one of the chaps that's involved with the company who comes to the our little town in northern Thailand every year and sponsors a competition for the local golf group. This year I was back in December, and not having played for months, somehow fluked a good round.  The prize.....a year's supply of Yorkshire Tea!

It's good stuff.

I would get an even bigger laugh now when some self absorbed animal rights twit tells me that we are a developed nation that no longer NEEDS to hunt for food. Well if things keep going I wonder how many families that live in small towns in the country might be using their firearms or air rifles to stock their freezer. My father in law is in his late 50s now and he was telling me a few years ago that when my wife was young her and her siblings were half reared on pigeon soup and rabbit....such were the economic hardships of the 1980s and early 90s in northern ireland. If meat got scarce I would buy what I could to provide for my kids and wife....my son is kind of limited in what he would eat but as for me I could probably survive no problem on what I could shoot or trout that I could catch in my local river.

27 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I have more Yorkshire Tea than I know what to do with.

I think it's one of the chaps that's involved with the company who comes to the our little town in northern Thailand every year and sponsors a competition for the local golf group. This year I was back in December, and not having played for months, somehow fluked a good round.  The prize.....a year's supply of Yorkshire Tea!

It's good stuff.

hello, thats interesting, better send some to fern01 :good:

22 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I would get an even bigger laugh now when some self absorbed animal rights twit tells me that we are a developed nation that no longer NEEDS to hunt for food. Well if things keep going I wonder how many families that live in small towns in the country might be using their firearms or air rifles to stock their freezer. My father in law is in his late 50s now and he was telling me a few years ago that when my wife was young her and her siblings were half reared on pigeon soup and rabbit....such were the economic hardships of the 1980s and early 90s in northern ireland. If meat got scarce I would buy what I could to provide for my kids and wife....my son is kind of limited in what he would eat but as for me I could probably survive no problem on what I could shoot or trout that I could catch in my local river.

hello, many will remember the 3 day week, we had pigeon/rabbit/hare and Turkey from the farm that my friend the gamekeeper worked

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

I phoned in a repeat prescription this week , yes which chemist is that too it now takes 7 working days  ,

Then round 6 shops to get my grandson a tin of formula and a pack of nappies cant get any teething powder i hope i never hear of anybody local stockpiling or if anybody's daft enough to try to sell some needed  stuff at grossly inflated prices theres too many dark nights here for the likes of these vermin  

Try Aldi,  they had plenty of nappies where I was today.

1 hour ago, fern01 said:

That's a bonus 🤢 I'm a tea drinker but not Yorkshire,  had a brew in the Lakes last month from a tea shop, simply the best brew I've ever had.  Just said special tea, supposed to go well with the local water, it was heaven 

I was buying coal today from the local hardware/has everything shop. We were joking around about panic buying and bog roll when he looked me in the eye and in a whisper asked “do you have enough bog roll?” It felt like he was offering me heroin. To be offered the secret bog roll stash I believe I have now made it to some sort of “local” status after a couple of years. I expect to be mayor in the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Where abouts are you? We have nappies of varying sizes stocked up for when ours is due in July (Not bought, given). If you’re really in a pinch let me know the size you need and I will have a gander.