LIFTING THE LOCKDOWN!

lancer425

It is looking to me  like the media, rather than the science is ready to Lift the Lock down.   Reporting of increased road use here by the likes of the SUN, and Morgan and others capitalising on what is happening in other parts of the world. The media and press reporting is biassed very much pro Lifting the lock down with the Swedish approach amongst other stories getting Highlighted..

Do we think the government will hold fast to the Science as they insisted Only last week.? Or are we set for a Media fuelled Lift of the lock down.

It is starting to seem that the media is running the country not the government, what do the pigeonwatch massive think the possible outcome of such a quiet routing of the Governments lock down could be, with regarding loss of life and of course damage to the economy could the oft quoted second wave/ Flare up of the pandemic occur, After all we have no reason to believe it wont.

Edited by lancer425

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said to others at the start that this whole thing is very much media/ social media hype driven,,,not taking anything away but everything is sensationalist.....

for example at the start they were coming down on construction like mad for continuing yet last week they were chipping that they should be allowed back now!!!

I never thought i would be saying this, but i can understand why the soviet block Quench the media and restrict the press. It has nothing to do with freedom of the press any more, but an abuse of the privilege of a free press.

Its actually making any responsible governments job harder in fact verging on impossible. And not to put too finer point on it risking lives and the long term economy of the country to boot.

The trouble with rolling news 24/7 is that the media is constantly looking for new stories, new angles or new so called "experts" to interview. Then the pressure is to say something different to what was said an hour ago, and two hours ago, and three hours ago etc.

I agree ... it seems like whatever the Govt. does, there's a journalist implying that they should be doing something else!

With countries that were ahead of us at the start of this like Italy and Spain only now actually easing restriction, it's perfectly sensible IMHO for us to also follow similar logic and spend further time locked down to avoid the 2nd mountain … although I do think a 2nd peak is likely.

I expect that on Sunday when the plan is unveiled, that there'll be very little change on Monday morning.

Edited by Smokersmith

Thing i am concerned about is. Italy / spain lift, they start with a resurgence, its fired up again , we follow suit in a few weeks only to start to see their numbers rise, and Ours all ready bubbling away A symptomatic , just sat there watching as spectators as we get a match replay of the one we just Flattened the curve of.

No one wants to stay locked down forever, but if we get this wrong that to my way of thinking is exactly what we will end up doing.

what we should of done was the same as New zealand,close completely down to eradicate it,then open up.

All weekend we have had visitors driving down from Birmingham and london to Dorset to exercise, really starting to grind with me now. We can not open up our B&B because of government guidelines, and honestly I wouldn't do that and to state we have lost everything is an understatement, but I believe we should all work together to get rid of this virus,but when you get retards coming down here and the Police not issuing fines to them really gets to me.

The media isn't helping this situation by saying that other countries have eased there lockdown,the Retards over here dont understand thats in that country and not ours, So sorry to have a rant guys,but the media just annoys the hell out of me.

I noticed this morning on the way to work higher than expected traffic, i've been hearing to of planned party's when the movement ban is lifted.  i wil stick to what we have been doing for the past 6 weeks thank you. Until i see allot less infections being reported.  

At least the gardens looking neat, and the neighbors.:good:

16 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I agree ... it seems like whatever the Govt. does, there's a journalist implying that they should be doing something else!

With countries that were ahead of us at the start of this like Italy and Spain only now actually easing restriction, it's perfectly sensible IMHO for us to also follow similar logic and spend further time locked down to avoid the 2nd mountain … although I do think a 2nd peak is likely.

I expect that on Sunday when the plan is unveiled, that there'll be very little change on Monday morning.

The media are a joke, except they're not funny. Time they went back to reporting facts and expert opinions only as far as Corona goes.

I'm not sure about Italy but in Spain the restrictions are still more extreme than we have here currently. Germany eased restrictions last week and saw the R number jump from 0.7 to 1.0, I'm not sure how it stands right now.

No real signs of a second peak anywhere atm afaik.

22 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The trouble with rolling news 24/7 is that the media is constantly looking for new stories, new angles or new so called "experts" to interview. Then the pressure is to say something different to what was said an hour ago, and two hours ago, and three hours ago etc.

This nails it, constant news telling us nothing different to the day before,  so any little thing is jumped on.

We didn't lockdown soon enough, we didn't have enough ppe the next headline could be we ended the lockdown to soon for the sake of the economy, damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

Just now, Mr_Nobody said:

No real signs of a second peak anywhere atm afaik.

Did Japan not get one after they lifted restrictions?

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Did Japan not get one after they lifted restrictions?

Japan didn't really go into heavy lock down until April and they're still ongoing. They were supposed to end this week but have been extended.

You may be thinking of Korea, who I believe did have a minor resurgence of virus cases after lifting their lock down. Then of course there's China but who knows what's going on behind the bamboo curtain.

My friends a paramedic and she said at lunch etc 20+ are sitting next to each other in the rest rooms . 
I asked her about the nec and she said she’s not dropped anyone there yet but has witnessed lots at deaths door.

a lot of the businesses that supply us are slowly opening back up . 
a company we use for worktops has 12 trucks sat in the yard unused but 3 lads running collections . 

Couple of points

Firstly as far as I am aware there are more daily new infections and deaths per day than when the lockdown was first imposed. So it seems strange to want to lift it now, but like others have said the media fuelled momentum for a lift is looking like the government will have no choice.

In respect of the media, I saw it suggested that if we find a fantastically efficient and effective vaccine by September. How long we before we hear howls from the media wanting Matt Hancock to apologise to the public for not getting it earlier.

35 minutes ago, Shooter1966 said:

what we should of done was the same as New zealand,close completely down to eradicate it,then open up.

All weekend we have had visitors driving down from Birmingham and london to Dorset to exercise, really starting to grind with me now. We can not open up our B&B because of government guidelines, and honestly I wouldn't do that and to state we have lost everything is an understatement, but I believe we should all work together to get rid of this virus,but when you get retards coming down here and the Police not issuing fines to them really gets to me.

The media isn't helping this situation by saying that other countries have eased there lockdown,the Retards over here dont understand thats in that country and not ours, So sorry to have a rant guys,but the media just annoys the hell out of me.

We all have different views of course, but imho, CV is not going to be eradicated. Hypothetically, if we had completely isolated the country, somehow, it would have appeared as soon as we opened up. The current thinking is that it will circulate the globe for the next 5 years. 

IMHO, the looming threat, is the annual flu appearance towards the end of the year. If a couple more waves are "allowed" to happen, it might lessen the numbers who contract both. The annual flu virus causes mortalities on its own, contracting that as well as CV would me catastrophic. I would imagine or hope that the procurement and strategist experts have already put in place, the need for vaccines as for sure, there will be a global shortage. Its highly likely  that the Nightingale and other such facilities will be needed November/December/January to cope with this.

Edited by turbo33

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

I never thought i would be saying this, but i can understand why the soviet block Quench the media and restrict the press.

What soviet bloc is this ? The one that went out in 1990 ? :lol:

36 minutes ago, Shooter1966 said:

And THEN get infected ??

You cant 'eradicate'  by keeping out of its way for a bit !

31 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

I'm not sure about Italy but in Spain the restrictions are still more extreme than we have here currently. Germany eased restrictions last week and saw the R number jump from 0.7 to 1.0, I'm not sure how it stands right now.

Pretty sure it doesnt work as fast as that.

14 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Firstly as far as I am aware there are more daily new infections and deaths per day than when the lockdown was first imposed. So it seems strange to want to lift it now

So lockdown didnt really work ?

To be honest , lockdown isnt really about new infections and deaths per day,  its about not overwhelming the NHS , and causing a major embarrassment to the government about how it 'failed' to 'save' us from it.
The point is, if you are old enough, sick enough, or just plain unlucky enough to die from CV19 , then die you will, this year , or next, just like the flu will , or common cold, or any number of other potentially lethal diseases that pass between us constantly.
Next year there will be a vaccine , but by then CV19 will be CV 20 and will highly likely kill as many per year as the flu, the sooner people realise this the better.

Lockdown and social distancing restrictions are about much more than trying to save lives, its gauging what various populations are prepared to put up with.

34 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Couple of points

Firstly as far as I am aware there are more daily new infections and deaths per day than when the lockdown was first imposed. So it seems strange to want to lift it now, but like others have said the media fuelled momentum for a lift is looking like the government will have no choice.

In respect of the media, I saw it suggested that if we find a fantastically efficient and effective vaccine by September. How long we before we hear howls from the media wanting Matt Hancock to apologise to the public for not getting it earlier.

You are right, people getting ill or dying now have been infected since the lockdown and the media should be doing a lot more to find out why. People are observing the distancing pretty well, wearing masks a lot of the time but still catching it.

What I do see is people not really understanding the way hands can transmit the virus. Making simple errors like the woman I saw on Thursday walking out of Tesco, no gloves, pushing a trolley load of shopping while talking on her phone. She will probably get home and put all that shopping straight away without washing it or isolating it  

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-latest-contaminated-surfaces-covid-19-droplets-air-explained-sage-2680179?itm_source=parsely-api 

Edited by Vince Green

15 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Pretty sure it doesnt work as fast as that.

Different article from the one I quoted from before.

Authorities in Germany are paying very close attention to the rate of the spread of COVID-19, using the reproduction number or R value as an important reference.

It indicates how many people one person with the virus can infect. If the rate is equal to 1, it means that one person is infecting another, on average.

What is Germany's reproduction number?

Germany has begun lifting its lockdown restrictions and health authorities are trying to keep the reproduction number below one to avoid a second wave of infections.

Its reproduction number had been 0.7 when confinement measures were eased on April 20. But it rose to 0.96 earlier this week, sparking alarm in Germany and beyond about the impact of relaxing controls.

However, on Thursday, the German government's disease control agency, the Robert Koch Institute, said the rate had fallen back to 0.76.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/30/coronavirus-what-is-the-r-value-and-why-is-it-important-for-when-to-lift-lockdown

Edited by Danger-Mouse

47 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

To be honest , lockdown isnt really about new infections and deaths per day,  its about not overwhelming the NHS , and causing a major embarrassment to the government about how it 'failed' to 'save' us from it.
The point is, if you are old enough, sick enough, or just plain unlucky enough to die from CV19 , then die you will, this year , or next, just like the flu will , or common cold, or any number of other potentially lethal diseases that pass between us constantly.

Got me confused there. First paragraph you seem to suggest that government had the power to save us but did things wrong.

Second paragraph suggests, we cant be saved just down to the circumstances of each individual and luck.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Next year there will be a vaccine , but by then CV19 will be CV 20 and will highly likely kill as many per year as the flu, the sooner people realise this the better.

Lockdown and social distancing restrictions are about much more than trying to save lives, its gauging what various populations are prepared to put up with.

Absolutely agree with every word, thats exactly the stark truth of the situation.

25 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Got me confused there. First paragraph you seem to suggest that government had the power to save us but did things wrong.

Second paragraph suggests, we cant be saved just down to the circumstances of each individual and luck.

Hence inverted commas in first paragraph of Rewulfs post. 

46 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Has to be 'seen' to be doing the 'right' thing.
It doesnt really matter what they did, some people will say they did right, some will say wrong.

12 minutes ago, clangerman said:

of coarse governments are going with the insanity of lifting the lockdowns to early your lives are not worth more than the economy to them 

SWEDEN-CHART-1.jpg

As other have said the media is thirsting for 'new' news and is distorting and twisting known stuff to create an update from the previous bulletin - now, for me largely ignored.

I do note back in the real world that there seem to be more cars on the road and people moving around than there was say three weeks ago.  The lack of a solid, reasoned plan communicated from central government has resulted in people making decisions for themselves - some out of necessity I'm sure and many more out of selfish boredom.  I'm mindful that many people are not practical so don't fix stuff around the house and garden so 6+ weeks of watching TV/Movies and playing games will worn very thin by now.

Me?  Out of materials for DIY projects so have now embarked on learning to play an electric guitar - one week in, glacial progress but enjoying it...just need 10 more years of lock-down 🤪