Sunbathing thoughts... 'chem/con' trails absent.

Dave-G

So there I was exposing the max amount of skin possible in the garden sun trap this afternoon and got pondering stuff as you do.

Gazing up at the sky I only saw three commercial size aircraft in about three hours and it occurred to me they had no extended trails :eh: which is a source of much discussion as to if they are contrails or chemtrails but that's another topic. Anyway - the extended trails gradually disperse to create a hazy cloud over a period of time depending on wind strength at that altitude.

I can't help but wonder why the trails were absent - and further wonder if that might cause more UV light to reach the lower atmosphere and clean more pathogens from the air we breath.

Your thoughts are invited people.

I gazed up at the sky for a few hours this afternoon but fully clothed in the privacy of my garden. I was watching not planes (of which I saw none) but swallows and swifts in great abundance. How marvellous there movements are when feeding.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

I gazed up at the sky for a few hours this afternoon but fully clothed in the privacy of my garden. I was watching not planes (of which I saw none) but swallows and swifts in great abundance. How marvellous there movements are when feeding.

I was watching the very same thing yesterday, they are fantastic little birds and a joy to watch, although they are not here yet in large numbers. 

42 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

So there I was exposing the max amount of skin possible in the garden sun trap this afternoon and got pondering stuff as you do.

Gazing up at the sky I only saw three commercial size aircraft in about three hours and it occurred to me they had no extended trails  which is a source of much discussion as to if they are contrails or chemtrails but that's another topic. Anyway - the extended trails gradually disperse to create a hazy cloud over a period of time depending on wind strength at that altitude.

I can't help but wonder why the trails were absent - and further wonder if that might cause more UV light to reach the lower atmosphere and clean more pathogens from the air we breath.

Your thoughts are invited people.

Do you have a kettle? Ever breathed out on a cold day? 

There’s your answer and if you can’t figure it out ( ok, due to vino I’ve decided to edit that bit out) 

Edited by Jaymo

Up here the weather has been fantastic since the lockdown. A lucky coincidence possibly but I wonder if there’s more to it. The sky has been very clear, especially at night with a great view of the stars. I’ve also never known the sea to be so clear and have such good visibility.

There’s a supposed phenomenon called global dimming. Basically, particles from emissions of planes, cars etc are very fine but there’s usually a lot of them in the atmosphere, far more than the usual expected natural particles. Water molecules condense on these particles and eventually form rain drops. 

Now there’s little emissions, is it the case that the weather and visibility has improved because we’re not having the emissions and therefore the rain? 

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

and further wonder if that might cause more UV light to reach the lower atmosphere an

That’s a suspected issue with cleaning up the environment by reducing fossil fuel use. Fossil fuels put particles in the atmosphere that collectively block a small percentage of UV light. Which means, if we try to save the environment by not using fossil fuels, the sky’s will be clearer, allowing more UV light and increasing temperatures anyway. I don’t know if this is all true as it’s beyond my pay scale but a lot of respected scientists agree with this. It was first noticed by scientists after 9/11 when flights in America were effectively grounded. There was a significant increase in temperature then 

40 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Now there’s little emissions, is it the case that the weather and visibility has improved because we’re not having the emissions and therefore the rain? 

Plenty of places in the world currently suffering from floods.

3 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Plenty of places in the world currently suffering from floods.

Is that normal seasonal flooding? As this prolonged good weather is unusual for up here, it happens occasionally but is unusual. 

Likely the good weather and clear skies is nothing to do with the lockdown and reduced emissions, just an interesting coincident 

34 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

That’s a suspected issue with cleaning up the environment by reducing fossil fuel use. Fossil fuels put particles in the atmosphere that collectively block a small percentage of UV light. Which means, if we try to save the environment by not using fossil fuels, the sky’s will be clearer, allowing more UV light and increasing temperatures anyway. I don’t know if this is all true as it’s beyond my pay scale but a lot of respected scientists agree with this. It was first noticed by scientists after 9/11 when flights in America were effectively grounded. There was a significant increase in temperature then 

I was about to post the same.

I sure the lack of transport has had some effect on the air or maybe my eyes are just getting better but when looking at anything at distance the view I have seem sharper. I would be interested to hear from any long distance shooters as to if the mirage looks any different 

25 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Is that normal seasonal flooding? As this prolonged good weather is unusual for up here, it happens occasionally but is unusual. 

Likely the good weather and clear skies is nothing to do with the lockdown and reduced emissions, just an interesting coincident 

To quote Terry Pratchett  

“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Do you have a kettle? Ever breathed out on a cold day? 

There’s your answer and if you can’t figure it out ( ok, due to vino I’ve decided to edit that bit out) 

Haha, If you edited out vapour trails and such I'm aware of them sliding off wing tips - and that there are different shape wing tips that will likely act differently as far as vapour is concerned - just as BERP tips have a different behaviour to plain end or swept tip rotary wings make different slap and clatter noises.

You may not have seen the videos of nozzles emitting (something) into engine exhaust streams - the extended trails emanate from engines not wing tips - if that's what you were thinking of, but were getting towards a chemtrail topic there lol.

Mate, there isn’t any chemicals- it’s purely water vapour from the compression and subsequent heating due to compressibility of the air and then the relation to humidity concentrations concerning the split between temperature and dew point. 
could go on and on about dry and saturated adiabatic lapse rates and RH

But to make it simples- lower moisture content in the atmosphere equals less likelihood of ‘con trails’

Where/what you were also referring to were vortices which occur as a result of the generation of lift and subsequent ‘spanwise flow’- it’s these little ******* that are the Bain of my life in the Wake turbulence that they generate, given me a few hairy moments over the years

But if you really want to know what that special button is that we press only when over land is, you will have to wait 😂

56 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Mate, there isn’t any chemicals- it’s purely water vapour from the compression and subsequent heating due to compressibility of the air and then the relation to humidity concentrations concerning the split between temperature and dew point. 

But to make it simples- lower moisture content in the atmosphere equals less likelihood of ‘con trails’

Where/what you were also referring to were vortices which occur as a result of the generation of lift and subsequent ‘spanwise flow’- it’s these little ******* that are the Bain of my life in the Wake turbulence that they generate, given me a few hairy moments over the years

But if you really want to know what that special button is that we press only when over land is, you will have to wait 😂

Proper stuff goin on there Jay. :good:

Are there better fuels being used these days vs say the 70's - or better fuul burning to create the much longer seriously persistent trails we see these days that weren't there way back when?

Edited by Dave-G

7 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Just what you'd expect a pawn of big chemtrails to say!

I'm just waiting for the next AWACs that centres its 30 mile, 30000 foot orbit over Peterborough, in the wet air it makes lovely large circles and the police get loads of 101 and even 999 calls from members of the public scared about what they can see!:rolleyes:

Has anyone watched the Louis Theroux documentary ‘By Reason of Insanity?’

I rewatched it recently as he was on Radio 4 talking to Jon Ronson and their conversation meandered onto people's relative susceptibility to conspiracy theories. They both agreed that there was no link between stupidity and belief in conspiracy theories, in fact quite it seemed very uniformly spread across intellect. 

Anyway, I only bring up ‘By Reason of Insanity’ as it was interesting to see that despite other people’s ‘deranged’ beliefs being so clearly false to a 3rd party they are also impossible to dispel from that individual by use of reason and logic etcetera. A good number of the patients’ delusions manifested in heavily religious beliefs. It struck me that 200 years ago they would have been mainstream beliefs. Whilst, 500 years ago they would have been beatified. All cults have their fanatic disciples, if you cannot see the other side of the argument you are probably one of them - militant veganism being the newest religion/cult. 

13 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Mate, there isn’t any chemicals- it’s purely water vapour from the compression and subsequent heating due to compressibility of the air and then the relation to humidity concentrations concerning the split between temperature and dew point. ...

Watched a beautiful display of that when we (HMS Battleaxe) were leaving the Gulf. We were doing the obligatory sail past and the yanks sent a fighter jet (no idea, small fast one) to us, it came alongside slowly then tilted upward and roared into the blue with swirly condensation coming off the wingtips and blue flames out of its rear end, awesome sight and pretty much as loud as Motorhead in Pompey a few years earlier!

On 07/05/2020 at 18:40, JDog said:

Lucky,lucky, none up here yet.